2020 5-star WR Johnny Wilson
Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1
- GoDucksTroll
- Sophomore
- Posts: 1742
- Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:34 am
2020 5-star WR Johnny Wilson
Update from 247's Biggins on jumbo sized 5-star WR Johnny Wilson:
In addition to Texas, Oregon remains heavily in the mix with UCLA and Washington rounding out his top four. Wilson said Ohio State, who was previously in his final five, is no longer involved.
“I’ll be going to Oregon in late July for their Saturday Night Live Event,” Wilson said. “I talk with that staff all the time and coach Bouknight and coach Arroyo hit me up every day. I hear from Micah (Pittman) all the time as well and I feel really good about my role and how I would fit in there.
“Coach Arroyo coached Mike Evans with the Buccaneers and that’s a receiver who I’ve been compared to and they want to use me in a similar way. Right now, Oregon and Texas are definitely the two schools I’m talking with the most but I still have interest in UCLA and Washington too and I want to try and visit all four schools during the season.”
Looks like this one will be coming down to us and Texas. UCLA... Man, I don't know what they're doing. It's like they're not trying. Wilson has also been turning down Washington's overtures.
It would be nice if Wilson changes his timeline and commits at the event this month, but you always save a spot for a receiver like this.
In addition to Texas, Oregon remains heavily in the mix with UCLA and Washington rounding out his top four. Wilson said Ohio State, who was previously in his final five, is no longer involved.
“I’ll be going to Oregon in late July for their Saturday Night Live Event,” Wilson said. “I talk with that staff all the time and coach Bouknight and coach Arroyo hit me up every day. I hear from Micah (Pittman) all the time as well and I feel really good about my role and how I would fit in there.
“Coach Arroyo coached Mike Evans with the Buccaneers and that’s a receiver who I’ve been compared to and they want to use me in a similar way. Right now, Oregon and Texas are definitely the two schools I’m talking with the most but I still have interest in UCLA and Washington too and I want to try and visit all four schools during the season.”
Looks like this one will be coming down to us and Texas. UCLA... Man, I don't know what they're doing. It's like they're not trying. Wilson has also been turning down Washington's overtures.
It would be nice if Wilson changes his timeline and commits at the event this month, but you always save a spot for a receiver like this.
- greenyellow
- Moderator

- Posts: 39213
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:54 pm
- Location: Eugene, OR
Re: 2020 5-star WR Johnny Wilson
I don't see what the problem is with a highly-rated recruit who wants to take his time through the process.

- GoDucksTroll
- Sophomore
- Posts: 1742
- Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:34 am
Re: 2020 5-star WR Johnny Wilson
Absolutely nothing wrong with waiting on a prized recruit.greenyellow wrote:I don't see what the problem is with a highly-rated recruit who wants to take his time through the process.
It's better to get them on board as soon as possible, though.
You have a better class, which is likelier to attract more prospects.
You're not turning away other good prospects while waiting for the big fish who never commits, and you don't have to take a flyer on a MWC type kid late in the process. We've had our share of consolation recruits we picked up late, kids who wind up being a practice body taking up a scholarship.
- StevensTechU
- All Pac-12
- Posts: 7116
- Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:25 am
- Location: Hoboken, NJ
Re: 2020 5-star WR Johnny Wilson
I never like when Oregon comes out as the 'leader' early but the player extends the process for a long time. Seems like something almost always happens that sways them to a different school that emerges late.
Wilson and Sewell would do great for the class rankings. Still lots of positions of need so far.
Wilson and Sewell would do great for the class rankings. Still lots of positions of need so far.
-
GrantDuck
- Senior
- Posts: 2629
- Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:05 pm
Re: 2020 5-star WR Johnny Wilson
Anyone know where we sit with Noah?StevensTechU wrote:I never like when Oregon comes out as the 'leader' early but the player extends the process for a long time. Seems like something almost always happens that sways them to a different school that emerges late.
Wilson and Sewell would do great for the class rankings. Still lots of positions of need so far.
Obviously, great family, brother seems to enjoy Oregon, but Noah is blowing up even more than Penei did in recruiting and will obviously make the decision best for him.
-
Merganzer
- Senior
- Posts: 3656
- Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:42 am
Re: 2020 5-star WR Johnny Wilson
From what I've gathered Noah is still strong to Oregon, but is certainly getting the attention of the top teams. One aspect that I think is in Oregon's favor of course is his older brother, who I think is playing it right by being understated in the recruiting process. I don't think it would help at all for big brother to be "telling" his little brother what to do.GrantDuck wrote:Anyone know where we sit with Noah?StevensTechU wrote:I never like when Oregon comes out as the 'leader' early but the player extends the process for a long time. Seems like something almost always happens that sways them to a different school that emerges late.
Wilson and Sewell would do great for the class rankings. Still lots of positions of need so far.
Obviously, great family, brother seems to enjoy Oregon, but Noah is blowing up even more than Penei did in recruiting and will obviously make the decision best for him.
- Quietduck
- Four Star Recruit
- Posts: 623
- Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:43 pm
Re: 2020 5-star WR Johnny Wilson
What I like most about Noah is his vision. After watching his tape as an LB he scrapes down the line and watches the ball then bam! He hits the hole and the carrier. While at RB he seems to have the same vision stopping or accelerating as the field opens up. With his size and his speed, nobody wants to hit or be hit by him but his vision takes away their options.
-
Merganzer
- Senior
- Posts: 3656
- Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:42 am
Re: 2020 5-star WR Johnny Wilson
https://expo.oregonlive.com/sports/g66l ... ycle-.html
Nemec posts his odds on Oregon getting their top targets:
Butterfield: 100%
Sewell: 75%
Wilson: 65%
Smalls: 15%
Nemec posts his odds on Oregon getting their top targets:
Butterfield: 100%
Sewell: 75%
Wilson: 65%
Smalls: 15%
-
GrantDuck
- Senior
- Posts: 2629
- Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:05 pm
Re: 2020 5-star WR Johnny Wilson
Never 100% until they sign and then they can pull a Chris Steele or Bru McCoy and transfer twice!Merganzer wrote:https://expo.oregonlive.com/sports/g66l ... ycle-.html
Nemec posts his odds on Oregon getting their top targets:
Butterfield: 100%
Sewell: 75%
Wilson: 65%
Smalls: 15%
As for the othersWilsons eems a little high, Smalls seems a little low.
-
GoDucksIn09
- Senior
- Posts: 3086
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:15 am
Re: 2020 5-star WR Johnny Wilson
Most think Smalls is going elsewhere. Somewhere in the south. I don't understand why he has visited so many times if that is the case. People were right with the quarterback earlier that would commit to Clemson. I am skeptical when it comes to Smalls despite the several visits.
- GoDucksTroll
- Sophomore
- Posts: 1742
- Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:34 am
Re: 2020 5-star WR Johnny Wilson
I know everyone is pegging Smalls to the SEC or ACC, but I think we have a REALLY good chance. I think he’s going to wait until late in the process, to see how the programs are trending. Another bad season for Willie and FSU is out. If our defense is great this year, and he wants to be opposite KT then it will be us. Avalos needs to put out a great product this season. Elite pass rushers are so rare, if we can have two...GoDucksIn09 wrote:Most think Smalls is going elsewhere. Somewhere in the south. I don't understand why he has visited so many times if that is the case. People were right with the quarterback earlier that would commit to Clemson. I am skeptical when it comes to Smalls despite the several visits.