OregonFan4Life wrote:Serious question, why isn't Wilson a 5 star? Not super fast/quick? From my perspective, he 100% seems 5 star quality.
He was, but hasn't been as good at the camps as the recruiting gurus would like. His speed is great for his size, 4.58, and he has a 38" vert. Kid is better in pads then in shorts, that's the bottom line.
Gotcha, thanks for answering that. I always prefer a kid who is better with pads than without pads.
Yah, this kid is a 5* all day long, everyday. Adding to what Buchmarkduck wrote, a lot of the West coast camps were either finishing up or hadn’t happened when all the sites did there evaluation updates a week to 3 weeks ago. There was a group of scouts from other programs all talking together at SNL. One of them said Wilson was a “3 and done first round ceiling WR”, and they all shook there heads in agreement. That prompted another one to basically say, Wilson was the cutoff fifth star and that, that was an injustice, and thinks the recruiting sites are crazy for dropping him after the last evaluation period.
I've seen comments from neutral observers that Wilson needs a bit more overall toughness and intensity, something he can easily change with the right coaching and environment. The physical talent is evident.
brich75 wrote:Wilson, Addison, and Pitman are going to be the nastiest group in the pac! The horses are there now we have to see what the coaches can do
The story isn't quite that dire. It's more like flat production, because his freshman year he played 15 games and junior year he played 11. In all, 57 ypg, 75 ypg, and 61 ypg, respectively.
All that said, it is suspicious. A 6'6 pass catching target should be dominating high school competition, and it's peculiar why he's not.
Averaging almost a TD per game is not dominating? I would be okay if he did that for the ducks as well - I mean, I wouldn't kick him off the team or anything.
Aside from Pittman, it looks like he had another highly-rated receiver he had to share with as well, Jermaine Burton, who is committed to LSU.
I didn't post those stats to call the kid a bust and as many of you have pointed out, there are plenty of reasons why his production hasn't increased YoY, many of them valid, and I don't have the info to confirm or deny any of them. It does raise questions though about his growth as a player over the last few years and it does provide some insight into why he lost a star.