DT Jaylen Smith commits to Oregon
Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1
- UOducksTK1
- Site Admin

- Posts: 40569
- Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:28 pm
- GM: Boston Celtics GM
- Location: Portland, Oregon
DT Jaylen Smith commits to Oregon

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
-
duck541
- Four Star Recruit
- Posts: 531
- Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:05 pm
Re: DT Jaylen Smith commits to Oregon
Solid pickup. Growing athlete, tall, long arms, and has the frame to add a bunch of good weight.
- lukeyrid13
- All-American
- Posts: 10475
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:58 am
- GM: Portland TrailBlazers
Re: DT Jaylen Smith commits to Oregon
Nice. I actually saw his film on one of QB11 videos and he looked like a diamond in the rough type guy.
Also of note, he was an NC state commit which doesn’t say much, except their d-line coach is considered a top 3 coach at that position nationally. I think Smith will at least be as good as say Dorlus this year and Faoliou overall for his career.
Also of note, he was an NC state commit which doesn’t say much, except their d-line coach is considered a top 3 coach at that position nationally. I think Smith will at least be as good as say Dorlus this year and Faoliou overall for his career.
-
HomeSickDuck
- Three Star Recruit
- Posts: 474
- Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:42 pm
Re: DT Jaylen Smith commits to Oregon
If there’s one position group that worries me in this class, it’s the d-line. Not very impressive this year.
- Phenom
- All Pac-12
- Posts: 9914
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:49 am
Re: DT Jaylen Smith commits to Oregon
It’s certainly not elite but he dudes are big, long and athletic. I trust Coach Joe with those guys.HomeSickDuck wrote:If there’s one position group that worries me in this class, it’s the d-line. Not very impressive this year.
Jaylen Smith - 6'4 280
Bradyn Swinson - 6'4 250
Maceal Afaese - 6'5 260
Jake Shipley - 6'4 270
- lukeyrid13
- All-American
- Posts: 10475
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:58 am
- GM: Portland TrailBlazers
Re: DT Jaylen Smith commits to Oregon
If you look through the recruiting rankings, there are literally no elite DTs on the west coast this year and essentially the same for O-line this year. Next year, we should hopefully see a lot of big time D-line recruits.
- StevensTechU
- All Pac-12
- Posts: 7116
- Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:25 am
- Location: Hoboken, NJ
Re: DT Jaylen Smith commits to Oregon
Of the recent round of DL offers, I watched the film for each, and Jaylen Smith was the one I liked the most. I think both he and Afaese are 'diamond in the rough' kinds of guys who are going to give us at least 2 years of productive football so long as they stick with it. Swinson has the physical tools, and Shipley's position is still TBD (he's like a less athletic Henry Mondeaux, and could be a TE, DE, or NT in college), but I don't think they're "bad" offers.
I'd love to see at least one highly rated guy, but in reality, if they can get a man in the middle, I think it's a solid class.
I'd love to see at least one highly rated guy, but in reality, if they can get a man in the middle, I think it's a solid class.
-
Merganzer
- Senior
- Posts: 3656
- Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:42 am
-
jimmy12
- Senior
- Posts: 2823
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:38 am
Re: DT Jaylen Smith commits to Oregon
STU-- Did you watch Julius Coates film? What did you think?
I think if he commits, he'll count against a previous class.. right?
I still think the Ducks add 3 more players:
1) LB
1) CB
2) maybe QB or LB.
I think if he commits, he'll count against a previous class.. right?
I still think the Ducks add 3 more players:
1) LB
1) CB
2) maybe QB or LB.
- DuckDuckJuice
- Two Star Recruit
- Posts: 115
- Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:34 pm
Re: DT Jaylen Smith commits to Oregon
Not a WR or TE?jimmy12 wrote:STU-- Did you watch Julius Coates film? What did you think?
I think if he commits, he'll count against a previous class.. right?
I still think the Ducks add 3 more players:
1) LB
1) CB
2) maybe QB or LB.
-
buckmarkduck
- All-American
- Posts: 11006
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:22 am
- Contact:
Re: DT Jaylen Smith commits to Oregon
Flowe
Sewell
Ringo
CJ Stroud
Washington or Rodgers at TE
Won't get in= Latu and Figgind
Sewell
Ringo
CJ Stroud
Washington or Rodgers at TE
Won't get in= Latu and Figgind
-
gogreen55
- Senior
- Posts: 2369
- Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:39 pm
Re: DT Jaylen Smith commits to Oregon
I hope you are right about Stroud. He is going to be an awesome college QB.buckmarkduck wrote:Flowe
Sewell
Ringo
CJ Stroud
Washington or Rodgers at TE
Won't get in= Latu and Figgind
- GoDucksTroll
- Sophomore
- Posts: 1742
- Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:34 am
Re: DT Jaylen Smith commits to Oregon
I wonder if Figgins is going to retire from football. We definitely need another TE aboard. We use two the TE a lot, along with two TE sets. And all we have for 2020 is Webb, Kampmoyer, Patrick Herbert, and the never healthy Cam McCormick.buckmarkduck wrote:Flowe
Sewell
Ringo
CJ Stroud
Washington or Rodgers at TE
Won't get in= Latu and Figgind
That finish of Sewell, Ringo, Flowe, Stroud, and Washington is perfect - I doubt we get more than one or two in a best case scenario.
- StevensTechU
- All Pac-12
- Posts: 7116
- Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:25 am
- Location: Hoboken, NJ
Re: DT Jaylen Smith commits to Oregon
What's the deal on Figgins? I'm out of the know on that one. Just frequently injured or other questions as well?
My view of Julius Coates is that, like Swinson, he more than looks the part but is incredibly raw. Unlike Swinson, though, Coates only has two years of eligibility. I would honestly pass on him unless they're really concerned about depth next year, which doesn't seem like an issue.
My view of Julius Coates is that, like Swinson, he more than looks the part but is incredibly raw. Unlike Swinson, though, Coates only has two years of eligibility. I would honestly pass on him unless they're really concerned about depth next year, which doesn't seem like an issue.
-
buckmarkduck
- All-American
- Posts: 11006
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:22 am
- Contact:
Re: DT Jaylen Smith commits to Oregon
Figgins has been hurt most the season, and even when healthy he didn't start for Sheldon.