I'm not disagreeing with you (as fun as that is to do). I just weigh what my eyes and research tell me vs. how careful I see Mario being about roster spots. I don't pretend to be a scout, but I had basically moved on from this kid in my mind. Sounds like Mario disagrees, and I am willing to allow that A) He knows more than me, and B) If there is a spot worth taking a risk on, especially in this region, it's defensive tackle. Then I start reading scouting reports from the guys who gave him 4 stars, and seeing that Baylor also wants this kid, and they are not exactly slouches in football. So maybe if he comes here, it will work out.StevensTechU wrote:Certainly. But half the reason these boards exist is to disagree with certain things the staff does.Phalanx wrote:It seems like Cristobal has a healthy sense of the value of roster spots. If he wants to sign Jones, I'm guessing it's because he sees something we don't. DT is a pretty hard position to recruit out here, so maybe the risk/reward was worth the shot.
When I watch Jones' film, I see a player who is twice the size of everyone else, yet is easily blocked on most plays. It seems to me that the best D linemen are that way because of their explosiveness, and it just doesn't seem like Jones has much of that.
Jayson Jones / Malachi Wideman
Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1
- Phalanx
- Senior
- Posts: 4990
- Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:50 pm
Re: Jayson Jones / Malachi Wideman
- UofDuck
- Senior
- Posts: 3943
- Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:51 pm
Re: Jayson Jones / Malachi Wideman
His family was enraged at SC for their handling of his older’s brother heart condition as a Trojan.Phalanx wrote:The scuttlebutt at the time was the he came to Oregon because USC wouldn't let him play DL.Phenom wrote:Nah. Arik chose to play DL instead of OL (where many thought he was a generational talent). I'm pretty sure every school was going to let him play DL.maxduck wrote:Wonder if this is a "you can try DL and if it doesn't work you can switch" situation. If Bama offered him as an OL he must have some talent. Isn't that how Oregon got Arik Armstead?
- Phenom
- All Pac-12
- Posts: 9914
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:49 am
Re: Jayson Jones / Malachi Wideman
I would think the plan is that he redshirts next year and he comes in after Scott leaves to backup Popo. He hasn’t been the same since he had a serious injury so he needs to lose some weight.StevensTechU wrote:We don't this year. But if we take Jayson Jones, he doesn't materialize into an impact player, then two or three years now he's taking the spot of a guy who could be.Phenom wrote:We don't need a plug and play JUCO DL this year. When was the last one who made a big impact?StevensTechU wrote:I would rather keep a scholarship open for a juco plug-and-play defensive lineman than take a flier on Jones.
I've said before that Wideman and Abrams-Drain would both be alley pop dunks by the ducks. I also like the offer to the tall WR out of Alabama they recently made.
- Phenom
- All Pac-12
- Posts: 9914
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:49 am
- GoDucksTroll
- Sophomore
- Posts: 1742
- Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:34 am
Re: Jayson Jones / Malachi Wideman
Yeah this kid looks to be in not awful shape considering the critique was he ballooned. Even six months in a real S&C and nutrition program could make him a beast.Phenom wrote:He’s a big dude and really well built.
https://twitter.com/thejaysonjones/stat ... 08096?s=21
-
maxduck
- Senior
- Posts: 3763
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:37 pm
Re: Jayson Jones / Malachi Wideman
Glancing at HUDL he has similar numbers to Jordon Scott and that worked out okay. I think Scott had a quick first step that Jones seems to lack but they are both big bodies that can occupy blockers.
-
quack1994pdx
- High School Drop Out
- Posts: 7
- Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:15 pm
Re: Jayson Jones / Malachi Wideman
According to Scott Reed at DSA, he said that Jones committed during the visit, but won't go public until signing day. He also said to watch and see if Jones decides to cancel his Ole Miss visit this weekend. Lane Kiffin gonna work this one me thinks.
- StevensTechU
- All Pac-12
- Posts: 7116
- Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:25 am
- Location: Hoboken, NJ
Re: Jayson Jones / Malachi Wideman
That first step is precisely why Scott is so good.maxduck wrote:Glancing at HUDL he has similar numbers to Jordon Scott and that worked out okay. I think Scott had a quick first step that Jones seems to lack but they are both big bodies that can occupy blockers.
-
jimmy12
- Senior
- Posts: 2823
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:38 am
Re: Jayson Jones / Malachi Wideman
StevensTechU wrote:That first step is precisely why Scott is so good.maxduck wrote:Glancing at HUDL he has similar numbers to Jordon Scott and that worked out okay. I think Scott had a quick first step that Jones seems to lack but they are both big bodies that can occupy blockers.
STU-- do you not like Jones?
- StevensTechU
- All Pac-12
- Posts: 7116
- Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:25 am
- Location: Hoboken, NJ
Re: Jayson Jones / Malachi Wideman
Not particularly. His lack of athleticism concerns me.jimmy12 wrote:StevensTechU wrote:That first step is precisely why Scott is so good.maxduck wrote:Glancing at HUDL he has similar numbers to Jordon Scott and that worked out okay. I think Scott had a quick first step that Jones seems to lack but they are both big bodies that can occupy blockers.
STU-- do you not like Jones?
- mattc94
- Four Star Recruit
- Posts: 598
- Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:21 pm
Re: Jayson Jones / Malachi Wideman
He cancelled. Anybody heard anything on Wideman? Though I think this means we are maxed on scholarships to offer.quack1994pdx wrote:According to Scott Reed at DSA, he said that Jones committed during the visit, but won't go public until signing day. He also said to watch and see if Jones decides to cancel his Ole Miss visit this weekend. Lane Kiffin gonna work this one me thinks.
-
maxduck
- Senior
- Posts: 3763
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:37 pm
Re: Jayson Jones / Malachi Wideman
A high school teammate of Jayson Jones accepted a preferred walk on slot.
-
jimmy12
- Senior
- Posts: 2823
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:38 am
Re: Jayson Jones / Malachi Wideman
I think wideman’s family situation is complicated. Ducks feel good but there are other influencers involved
- Phenom
- All Pac-12
- Posts: 9914
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:49 am
Re: Jayson Jones / Malachi Wideman
I just watched Jones and I'm impressed with what there is to work with physically. 6'7 340 and to have the agility that he has is pretty rare. Just look at the way he moves. It looks smooth, it doesn't look clunky or odd. How often do you say that about a dude that size? He's got a lot of work to do technically, but I think he could take a redshirt year for us and be fine.
-
pdxduck2013
- Freshman
- Posts: 1431
- Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:20 pm
Re: Jayson Jones / Malachi Wideman
The only one I can think of in the last decade was Will Tukuafu. The rest were all depth guys.Phenom wrote:We don't need a plug and play JUCO DL this year. When was the last one who made a big impact?StevensTechU wrote:I would rather keep a scholarship open for a juco plug-and-play defensive lineman than take a flier on Jones.
I've said before that Wideman and Abrams-Drain would both be alley pop dunks by the ducks. I also like the offer to the tall WR out of Alabama they recently made.