Coronavirus, a threat or media hype?
Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1
- Tray Dub
- Senior
- Posts: 4994
- Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:31 pm
Re: Coronavirus, a threat or media hype?
Unfortunately I think the vaccine talk above is premature. From what I'm reading, we shouldn't expect one anytime soon. I'm not an expert but that seems to be the conventional view among people in the field – one expert I listened to recently called that "happy talk." (Michael Osterholm on Joe Rogan's podcast, really good and informative straight talk, highly recommend.)
-
alxtw
- Freshman
- Posts: 1264
- Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:46 pm
Re: Coronavirus, a threat or media hype?
Its serious, like the H1N1 was. But the mass media has blown it out for proportions. It has a kill rate of around 2%, but most of those deaths were from elderly people in China, which is much more densely populated than US cities ex manhattan. It most likely will have a lower rate as more people in western countries, less densely populated elderly communities, contract it.
It does seem to be very contagious and the biggest worry is that healthy people can unknowingly have it with no symptoms. For the elderly its very dangerous and could be easily passed by infected people.
The best way would be for people to stay in their own homes for 14days and get it out of the communities. I had friends in China that literally didn't leave their apartment complexes for a month or longer. It was a cruel but effective move by the government in controlling the spread of the virus. Now Italy is following that tactic. Personally i think it would be good to implement strict measures for 14days, rather than slowing adding new measures every time the numbers get worse.
A vaccine also doesn't seem like its going to come widely available any time soon. Gilead is running out of patients for trials in China because the number of coronavirus patients have dropped down significantly.
It does seem to be very contagious and the biggest worry is that healthy people can unknowingly have it with no symptoms. For the elderly its very dangerous and could be easily passed by infected people.
The best way would be for people to stay in their own homes for 14days and get it out of the communities. I had friends in China that literally didn't leave their apartment complexes for a month or longer. It was a cruel but effective move by the government in controlling the spread of the virus. Now Italy is following that tactic. Personally i think it would be good to implement strict measures for 14days, rather than slowing adding new measures every time the numbers get worse.
A vaccine also doesn't seem like its going to come widely available any time soon. Gilead is running out of patients for trials in China because the number of coronavirus patients have dropped down significantly.
- justducky0
- Senior
- Posts: 2012
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:02 pm
- Location: The Real World
Re: Coronavirus, a threat or media hype?
OregonFan4Life wrote:Good point, while we're at it let's keep all high risk people locked in a room for the rest of their lives, don't allow them to drive anywhere, don't let them be exposed to any elements, cause, it's not like death is inevitable anyways, we might as well fight it as much as possible and keep them safe! Why bother enjoying life when it can cause death?!justducky0 wrote:In times like these I look to medical professionals and how they are reacting to the disease and if they are saying we need to take these measures then I am all for it. A game / conference / concert ect pales in comparison to me when it comes to the health of the ones I love. Yes its shitty that March Madness is being cancelled. But if that saves literally 1 person from dying then I 100% support it. Because even if it is not someone I know, someone knows them and loves them.
Yep that is exactly what I said. Your comments here show your naivety in regards to science and infectious disease and quite honestly a limited world view. Being uneducated and then standing your ground on said lack of knowledge is a bold play cotton.

- OregonFan4Life
- All-American
- Posts: 15151
- Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:32 pm
Re: Coronavirus, a threat or media hype?
You sound so educated with your condescending comments yourself.justducky0 wrote:OregonFan4Life wrote:Good point, while we're at it let's keep all high risk people locked in a room for the rest of their lives, don't allow them to drive anywhere, don't let them be exposed to any elements, cause, it's not like death is inevitable anyways, we might as well fight it as much as possible and keep them safe! Why bother enjoying life when it can cause death?!justducky0 wrote:In times like these I look to medical professionals and how they are reacting to the disease and if they are saying we need to take these measures then I am all for it. A game / conference / concert ect pales in comparison to me when it comes to the health of the ones I love. Yes its shitty that March Madness is being cancelled. But if that saves literally 1 person from dying then I 100% support it. Because even if it is not someone I know, someone knows them and loves them.
Yep that is exactly what I said. Your comments here show your naivety in regards to science and infectious disease and quite honestly a limited world view. Being uneducated and then standing your ground on said lack of knowledge is a bold play cotton.
I was just trying to make a point, at what point is trying to control a virus too far? At what point should we take others enjoyment away to control a virus that could be deadly for elderly people? Just seems excessive to me.

-
karlhungis
- All Pac-12
- Posts: 7990
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:08 am
Re: Coronavirus, a threat or media hype?
How many people do you think should die to allow you to have your fun? What is the acceptable threshold for you? Just a handful of old people?OregonFan4Life wrote:You sound so educated with your condescending comments yourself.justducky0 wrote:OregonFan4Life wrote:Good point, while we're at it let's keep all high risk people locked in a room for the rest of their lives, don't allow them to drive anywhere, don't let them be exposed to any elements, cause, it's not like death is inevitable anyways, we might as well fight it as much as possible and keep them safe! Why bother enjoying life when it can cause death?!justducky0 wrote:In times like these I look to medical professionals and how they are reacting to the disease and if they are saying we need to take these measures then I am all for it. A game / conference / concert ect pales in comparison to me when it comes to the health of the ones I love. Yes its shitty that March Madness is being cancelled. But if that saves literally 1 person from dying then I 100% support it. Because even if it is not someone I know, someone knows them and loves them.
Yep that is exactly what I said. Your comments here show your naivety in regards to science and infectious disease and quite honestly a limited world view. Being uneducated and then standing your ground on said lack of knowledge is a bold play cotton.
I was just trying to make a point, at what point is trying to control a virus too far? At what point should we take others enjoyment away to control a virus that could be deadly for elderly people? Just seems excessive to me.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
-
duckfan22
- Senior
- Posts: 2698
- Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:48 pm
Re: Coronavirus, a threat or media hype?
Look at the donors who contribute a ton of money to Oregon at what age do youkarlhungis wrote:How many people do you think should die to allow you to have your fun? What is the acceptable threshold for you? Just a handful of old people?OregonFan4Life wrote:You sound so educated with your condescending comments yourself.justducky0 wrote:OregonFan4Life wrote:Good point, while we're at it let's keep all high risk people locked in a room for the rest of their lives, don't allow them to drive anywhere, don't let them be exposed to any elements, cause, it's not like death is inevitable anyways, we might as well fight it as much as possible and keep them safe! Why bother enjoying life when it can cause death?!justducky0 wrote:In times like these I look to medical professionals and how they are reacting to the disease and if they are saying we need to take these measures then I am all for it. A game / conference / concert ect pales in comparison to me when it comes to the health of the ones I love. Yes its shitty that March Madness is being cancelled. But if that saves literally 1 person from dying then I 100% support it. Because even if it is not someone I know, someone knows them and loves them.
Yep that is exactly what I said. Your comments here show your naivety in regards to science and infectious disease and quite honestly a limited world view. Being uneducated and then standing your ground on said lack of knowledge is a bold play cotton.
I was just trying to make a point, at what point is trying to control a virus too far? At what point should we take others enjoyment away to control a virus that could be deadly for elderly people? Just seems excessive to me.
consider elderly? Phil Knight is he considered elderly ? he seems to still enjoy the games .
- OregonFan4Life
- All-American
- Posts: 15151
- Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:32 pm
Re: Coronavirus, a threat or media hype?
Do you think having an NCAA tournament with college kids and no fans will cause people to die?karlhungis wrote:How many people do you think should die to allow you to have your fun? What is the acceptable threshold for you? Just a handful of old people?OregonFan4Life wrote:You sound so educated with your condescending comments yourself.justducky0 wrote:OregonFan4Life wrote:Good point, while we're at it let's keep all high risk people locked in a room for the rest of their lives, don't allow them to drive anywhere, don't let them be exposed to any elements, cause, it's not like death is inevitable anyways, we might as well fight it as much as possible and keep them safe! Why bother enjoying life when it can cause death?!justducky0 wrote:In times like these I look to medical professionals and how they are reacting to the disease and if they are saying we need to take these measures then I am all for it. A game / conference / concert ect pales in comparison to me when it comes to the health of the ones I love. Yes its shitty that March Madness is being cancelled. But if that saves literally 1 person from dying then I 100% support it. Because even if it is not someone I know, someone knows them and loves them.
Yep that is exactly what I said. Your comments here show your naivety in regards to science and infectious disease and quite honestly a limited world view. Being uneducated and then standing your ground on said lack of knowledge is a bold play cotton.
I was just trying to make a point, at what point is trying to control a virus too far? At what point should we take others enjoyment away to control a virus that could be deadly for elderly people? Just seems excessive to me.

- UOducksTK1
- Site Admin

- Posts: 40569
- Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:28 pm
- GM: Boston Celtics GM
- Location: Portland, Oregon
Re: Coronavirus, a threat or media hype?
China is already looking betteralxtw wrote:Its serious, like the H1N1 was. But the mass media has blown it out for proportions. It has a kill rate of around 2%, but most of those deaths were from elderly people in China, which is much more densely populated than US cities ex manhattan. It most likely will have a lower rate as more people in western countries, less densely populated elderly communities, contract it.
It does seem to be very contagious and the biggest worry is that healthy people can unknowingly have it with no symptoms. For the elderly its very dangerous and could be easily passed by infected people.
The best way would be for people to stay in their own homes for 14days and get it out of the communities. I had friends in China that literally didn't leave their apartment complexes for a month or longer. It was a cruel but effective move by the government in controlling the spread of the virus. Now Italy is following that tactic. Personally i think it would be good to implement strict measures for 14days, rather than slowing adding new measures every time the numbers get worse.
A vaccine also doesn't seem like its going to come widely available any time soon. Gilead is running out of patients for trials in China because the number of coronavirus patients have dropped down significantly.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
- UOducksTK1
- Site Admin

- Posts: 40569
- Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:28 pm
- GM: Boston Celtics GM
- Location: Portland, Oregon
- Tray Dub
- Senior
- Posts: 4994
- Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:31 pm
Re: Coronavirus, a threat or media hype?
China and South Korea are encouraging. The question is whether we will be willing and able to implement the same steps. In China they check your temperature any time you enter any public building. In South Korea they are testing 10,000 people per day; in the US we have tested 11,000 people total.
- Tray Dub
- Senior
- Posts: 4994
- Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:31 pm
Re: Coronavirus, a threat or media hype?
Sad news about Mycah Pittman's family:
- greenyellow
- Moderator

- Posts: 39213
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:54 pm
- Location: Eugene, OR
Re: Coronavirus, a threat or media hype?
College students may not get severely affected but they would be carriers of the disease back to their homes and campuses. The point of these cancellations isn't to entirely stop deaths; it's to slow the virus' progression to give the government and medical professionals time to get things in place to help when and/or things get worse.OregonFan4Life wrote:Do you think having an NCAA tournament with college kids and no fans will cause people to die?

- OregonFan4Life
- All-American
- Posts: 15151
- Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:32 pm
Re: Coronavirus, a threat or media hype?
I get that, I totally do, at first I thought keeping fans out was ridiculous then as I researched more I found to find the logic in that, I understand wanting to slow it. But honestly, this idea of cancelling the tournament all together honestly feels excessive to me. There are plenty of other precautions to take, don't let anyone with a fever play, things like that. Sure it would suck if say Sabrina or Pritchard can't play, but better than just cancelling the entire thing. I don't see how cancelling the NCAA tournament will save any lives.greenyellow wrote:College students may not get severely affected but they would be carriers of the disease back to their homes and campuses. The point of these cancellations isn't to entirely stop deaths; it's to slow the virus' progression to give the government and medical professionals time to get things in place to help when and/or things get worse.OregonFan4Life wrote:Do you think having an NCAA tournament with college kids and no fans will cause people to die?

- greenyellow
- Moderator

- Posts: 39213
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:54 pm
- Location: Eugene, OR
Re: Coronavirus, a threat or media hype?
As of now, the NCAA still hasn't said what it'll do. They'll likely suspend it indefinitely until further notice. Wouldn't be surprised if it is cancelled eventually but until then, people have to hold out hope that the virus abates and things can get back to normal.

- UOducksTK1
- Site Admin

- Posts: 40569
- Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:28 pm
- GM: Boston Celtics GM
- Location: Portland, Oregon
Re: Coronavirus, a threat or media hype?
Coronavirus worldwide: 134,183 cases 4,965 deaths
Flu worldwide: Estimated 1 billion cases 646,000 deaths
Flu worldwide: Estimated 1 billion cases 646,000 deaths

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13