STU-- Question for you

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

Post Reply
jimmy12
Senior
Posts: 2823
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:38 am

STU-- Question for you

Post by jimmy12 »

Of the under rated recruits who are committed this year, who (can be multiple) are you believing will have the biggest impact while in the program?

I actually have 3.
1) Brandon Buckner. He is a DUDE. He already has incredible technique and a desire to disrupt.
2) Terrance Ferguson. Has anyone watched his tape? or his basketball tape? This dude is an ATHLETE with a mean streak. I hate comparisons, but he is gronk-eque.
3) Jabril McNeil-- He is going to be a freak. He is just growing into his body (look at his brother) and he is going to dominate the pac. He is low rated, nasty and has a huge frame.

Almost made the list:
Darren Barkins: 4.4 speed, skinny but will grow. He will be a dude at CB.
buckmarkduck
All-American
Posts: 11004
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:22 am
Contact:

Re: STU-- Question for you

Post by buckmarkduck »

Good question, but I'm going to go with Tillman. Kid is going to grow into a stud. I know the coaches love him.
jimmy12
Senior
Posts: 2823
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:38 am

Re: STU-- Question for you

Post by jimmy12 »

buckmarkduck wrote:Good question, but I'm going to go with Tillman. Kid is going to grow into a stud. I know the coaches love him.

Interesting Buck. I watched his tape and he looked slow and really skinny to me. (Like Gus Cumberlander speed). What makes you like him?
GrantDuck
Senior
Posts: 2629
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:05 pm

Re: STU-- Question for you

Post by GrantDuck »

jimmy12 wrote:Of the under rated recruits who are committed this year, who (can be multiple) are you believing will have the biggest impact while in the program?

I actually have 3.
1) Brandon Buckner. He is a DUDE. He already has incredible technique and a desire to disrupt.
2) Terrance Ferguson. Has anyone watched his tape? or his basketball tape? This dude is an ATHLETE with a mean streak. I hate comparisons, but he is gronk-eque.
3) Jabril McNeil-- He is going to be a freak. He is just growing into his body (look at his brother) and he is going to dominate the pac. He is low rated, nasty and has a huge frame.

Almost made the list:
Darren Barkins: 4.4 speed, skinny but will grow. He will be a dude at CB.
Ferguson looks nasty.
User avatar
lukeyrid13
All-American
Posts: 10475
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:58 am
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Re: STU-- Question for you

Post by lukeyrid13 »

I personally would have Ferguson rated a lot higher than Matavao.

McNeil and Buckner both have great hustle and look to be a bit underrated.

This class doesn't have the star power of the last class but we are stacking our roster with incredible depth across the board (sans maybe RB).
User avatar
StevensTechU
All Pac-12
Posts: 7116
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:25 am
Location: Hoboken, NJ

Re: STU-- Question for you

Post by StevensTechU »

I wrote a post where I reviewed all the commits at the time and rated them based on what I saw on film and other information I could gather.

https://ducksattack.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=34687

That's a little dated as the ducks have picked up several new commits since, but I probably won't get time to really look at the new guys with a critical eye until some time in October. At the time, I would have said Ferguson was the most underrated guy, followed by Buckner.

Since you brought him up, McNeil seems to have all the physical tools you could want. I only watched 2 minutes of film on him and didn't see an attack-missile of a linebacker who looks like he knows the play before the running back does, but that was extremely limited review. Also, that light can come on for different guys at different times, even as late as during their college careers. So I don't know if he's under, over, or appropriately rated, but I'll try to look more into him when I can. Compared to what Oregon has gotten historically at LB, my initial impression was that he was a good get.
jimmy12
Senior
Posts: 2823
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:38 am

Re: STU-- Question for you

Post by jimmy12 »

StevensTechU wrote:I wrote a post where I reviewed all the commits at the time and rated them based on what I saw on film and other information I could gather.

https://ducksattack.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=34687

That's a little dated as the ducks have picked up several new commits since, but I probably won't get time to really look at the new guys with a critical eye until some time in October. At the time, I would have said Ferguson was the most underrated guy, followed by Buckner.

Since you brought him up, McNeil seems to have all the physical tools you could want. I only watched 2 minutes of film on him and didn't see an attack-missile of a linebacker who looks like he knows the play before the running back does, but that was extremely limited review. Also, that light can come on for different guys at different times, even as late as during their college careers. So I don't know if he's under, over, or appropriately rated, but I'll try to look more into him when I can. Compared to what Oregon has gotten historically at LB, my initial impression was that he was a good get.
Good summary! Thanks for sharing! Shame we likely won't get Senior year analysis.
User avatar
StevensTechU
All Pac-12
Posts: 7116
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:25 am
Location: Hoboken, NJ

Re: STU-- Question for you

Post by StevensTechU »

jimmy12 wrote:
Good summary! Thanks for sharing! Shame we likely won't get Senior year analysis.
One of the things that keeps going through my mind is that it's likely that the class of 2022 is going to be recruited very poorly, and 2023 may be the same.

Football is not like basketball. In basketball, the #1 recruit in 8th grade often is still a top 5 recruit (if not #1) by the time they turn 18. In football, the best middle schoolers and underclassmen turn out to be David Sills (or Dawson Jaramillo) much, much more often than they become Dylan Moses. You want to engage early, but be patient to select the best players as they develop.

So with this year, there are going to be a bunch of 2021 players who make a big jump in ability that won't get noticed. They're going to end up at small colleges, junior colleges, or no college at all, while bigger schools are going to take the best players 'on the radar' who aren't going to be as good as these late bloomers. For the class of 2022, we're going to miss many senior season tapes, so offers are going to be made based on sophomore performances, coaches' recommendations, and eyeball tests instead of field performance. The #1-5 players in the country won't change, but after that it gets really murky. For example, a player destined for Linfield may grow 5 inches in a year and shave .3 off of his 40 time, and now he's a high-major recruit but nobody knows it and the only film he can send out is pre-growth spurt. 2023 recruiting could see a similar effect if coaches are anxious to get offers out the door instead of waiting to see film.

Overall, I think there is going to be a bump in talent in the JCs or small college because of this, and a dip from Power-5s outside of the top 10 recruiting teams who lock up their classes by season's start anyway.
jimmy12
Senior
Posts: 2823
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:38 am

Re: STU-- Question for you

Post by jimmy12 »

StevensTechU wrote:
jimmy12 wrote:
Good summary! Thanks for sharing! Shame we likely won't get Senior year analysis.
One of the things that keeps going through my mind is that it's likely that the class of 2022 is going to be recruited very poorly, and 2023 may be the same.

Football is not like basketball. In basketball, the #1 recruit in 8th grade often is still a top 5 recruit (if not #1) by the time they turn 18. In football, the best middle schoolers and underclassmen turn out to be David Sills (or Dawson Jaramillo) much, much more often than they become Dylan Moses. You want to engage early, but be patient to select the best players as they develop.

So with this year, there are going to be a bunch of 2021 players who make a big jump in ability that won't get noticed. They're going to end up at small colleges, junior colleges, or no college at all, while bigger schools are going to take the best players 'on the radar' who aren't going to be as good as these late bloomers. For the class of 2022, we're going to miss many senior season tapes, so offers are going to be made based on sophomore performances, coaches' recommendations, and eyeball tests instead of field performance. The #1-5 players in the country won't change, but after that it gets really murky. For example, a player destined for Linfield may grow 5 inches in a year and shave .3 off of his 40 time, and now he's a high-major recruit but nobody knows it and the only film he can send out is pre-growth spurt. 2023 recruiting could see a similar effect if coaches are anxious to get offers out the door instead of waiting to see film.

Overall, I think there is going to be a bump in talent in the JCs or small college because of this, and a dip from Power-5s outside of the top 10 recruiting teams who lock up their classes by season's start anyway.
Agreed. This is where the deep relationships come in to play. Coaches will need to rely on coaches they trust to advise them about real talent.
User avatar
Duck07
All-American
Posts: 17123
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:36 am
Location: Parts Unknown

Re: STU-- Question for you

Post by Duck07 »

To that end, it may be wise to not fill the next 2 classes to allow for transfers in/out and to let EE's slide into a different class.
Image
Post Reply