Quack!! Jeffrey Bassa commits.

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

User avatar
Weston
Three Star Recruit
Posts: 480
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:51 pm

Quack!! Jeffrey Bassa commits.

Post by Weston »

User avatar
greenyellow
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 39213
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:54 pm
Location: Eugene, OR

Re: Quack!! Jeffrey Bassa commits.

Post by greenyellow »

Image
RanDux
Senior
Posts: 2840
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:19 pm
Location: Happy Valley, OR

Re: Quack!! Jeffrey Bassa commits.

Post by RanDux »

Welcome to the flock, Jeffrey!!!
GoDucksIn09
Senior
Posts: 3086
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:15 am

Re: Quack!! Jeffrey Bassa commits.

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

I would guess this means miss out on JT or Foreman or both. I know is different position, but the number of spots left does not favor getting them. I know the coaches like where they are at with JT, but do not see any inclination yet that he is looking at anywhere but UW or Ohio State. Nobody has Oregon on the radar for him. Maybe that is by design.
WestCoastDux
Two Star Recruit
Posts: 130
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:46 pm

Re: Quack!! Jeffrey Bassa commits.

Post by WestCoastDux »

Not necessarily. Due to the opt outs, it has expanded the number of scholarships for the coaches to offer. Previously it was like 23 max ceiling, now it's like any normal year with 25 available.
jimmy12
Senior
Posts: 2823
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:38 am

Re: Quack!! Jeffrey Bassa commits.

Post by jimmy12 »

GoDucksIn09 wrote:I would guess this means miss out on JT or Foreman or both. I know is different position, but the number of spots left does not favor getting them. I know the coaches like where they are at with JT, but do not see any inclination yet that he is looking at anywhere but UW or Ohio State. Nobody has Oregon on the radar for him. Maybe that is by design.

The sky is falling!!!!! It means nothing more than they got the second safety they wanted.
duckfan96
Senior
Posts: 2703
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:58 pm

Re: Quack!! Jeffrey Bassa commits.

Post by duckfan96 »

Not star gazing just asking a question...is he good? Lots of people seem excited about him.
jimmy12
Senior
Posts: 2823
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:38 am

Re: Quack!! Jeffrey Bassa commits.

Post by jimmy12 »

duckfan96 wrote:Not star gazing just asking a question...is he good? Lots of people seem excited about him.

He is BIG and fast. The only apprehension is the lack of tape of him as a S. Ducks haven't had a S of this size / athleticism in a long time.
GoDucksIn09
Senior
Posts: 3086
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:15 am

Re: Quack!! Jeffrey Bassa commits.

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

I never said the sky is falling. The fact that we have a small amount of space left has been well documented.
alxtw
Freshman
Posts: 1263
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:46 pm

Re: Quack!! Jeffrey Bassa commits.

Post by alxtw »

GoDucksIn09 wrote:I would guess this means miss out on JT or Foreman or both. I know is different position, but the number of spots left does not favor getting them. I know the coaches like where they are at with JT, but do not see any inclination yet that he is looking at anywhere but UW or Ohio State. Nobody has Oregon on the radar for him. Maybe that is by design.
If any one or both of them want to commit to UO, the staff will definitely find a way and space for them to enroll.
jimmy12
Senior
Posts: 2823
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:38 am

Re: Quack!! Jeffrey Bassa commits.

Post by jimmy12 »

GoDucksIn09 wrote:I never said the sky is falling. The fact that we have a small amount of space left has been well documented.
I agree space is tight, but that in no way means that we are taking Bass because we didn't get someone else.
User avatar
StevensTechU
All Pac-12
Posts: 7116
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:25 am
Location: Hoboken, NJ

Re: Quack!! Jeffrey Bassa commits.

Post by StevensTechU »

duckfan96 wrote:Not star gazing just asking a question...is he good? Lots of people seem excited about him.
He's a legitimate 3*. He may go to the NFL someday, or he might never start a game at Oregon. On tape, I don't see an instinctual player, and his best defensive highlights come when his coach puts him on the edge and says 'go after the quarterback.' On the flip side, he runs a 10.93 100m at 6'3 and 200lbs, which is pretty solid (most of our safeties nowadays would probably run in the low 11s, but we've had guys like Justin Hollins in the recent past who were much bigger and were even faster). I think he projects as an OLB more than a safety, so I think this class is still hurting for another DB. Bassa is a good project to bring on and see how it turns out, but if space is really that tight, be might be one of the first I let go of.
jimmy12 wrote:
duckfan96 wrote:Not star gazing just asking a question...is he good? Lots of people seem excited about him.

He is BIG and fast. The only apprehension is the lack of tape of him as a S. Ducks haven't had a S of this size / athleticism in a long time.
Jevon Holland is big and fast. Schooler, though he played safety only briefly, was comparable height and faster.
User avatar
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 40547
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:28 pm
GM: Boston Celtics GM
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: Quack!! Jeffrey Bassa commits.

Post by UOducksTK1 »

greenyellow wrote:
That scream though.. :lol:

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
karlhungis
All Pac-12
Posts: 7990
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:08 am

Re: Quack!! Jeffrey Bassa commits.

Post by karlhungis »

GoDucksIn09 wrote:I would guess this means miss out on JT or Foreman or both. I know is different position, but the number of spots left does not favor getting them. I know the coaches like where they are at with JT, but do not see any inclination yet that he is looking at anywhere but UW or Ohio State. Nobody has Oregon on the radar for him. Maybe that is by design.
How do you come to this conclusion? It's a different position, people have been predicting this commit and we still have spots left. If there is ANY space available, you take the top players in the country.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
User avatar
lukeyrid13
All-American
Posts: 10475
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:58 am
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Re: Quack!! Jeffrey Bassa commits.

Post by lukeyrid13 »

karlhungis wrote:
GoDucksIn09 wrote:I would guess this means miss out on JT or Foreman or both. I know is different position, but the number of spots left does not favor getting them. I know the coaches like where they are at with JT, but do not see any inclination yet that he is looking at anywhere but UW or Ohio State. Nobody has Oregon on the radar for him. Maybe that is by design.
How do you come to this conclusion? It's a different position, people have been predicting this commit and we still have spots left. If there is ANY space available, you take the top players in the country.
We are at 22 commits, with Donte Thornton a long time silent commit. That leaves 2 spots for: any grad transfers, JTT, Foreman, Ceyair Wright and Bryce Foster. Contrary to all of our hopes, we are not "getting everybody". It's very likely that the coaches will want to keep open at least 1 spot for a grad transfer so we likely will only see one more high schooler commit barring any decommits in the next few months; which seems unlikely with no visits allowed.
Post Reply