QUACK! 2022 WR Stephon Johnson commits
Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1
- greenyellow
- Moderator

- Posts: 39229
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:54 pm
- Location: Eugene, OR
QUACK! 2022 WR Stephon Johnson commits
Oregon has landed 3* 2022 WR Stephon Johnson out of Texas. He's underrated right now as he's been lighting up the camp circuit so far this winter and spring.

- UOducksTK1
- Site Admin

- Posts: 40597
- Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:28 pm
- GM: Boston Celtics GM
- Location: Portland, Oregon
Re: QUACK! 2022 WR Stephon Johnson commits
Let's go! Way better than his current ranking. Nice pick up for the Ducks

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
-
thomas time
- Senior
- Posts: 4692
- Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:18 am
Re: QUACK! 2022 WR Stephon Johnson commits
Clemons and Meriwether to finish the class at wr? I thought i had seen another one or two wr's from Texas the ducks were after, but not sure?
- StevensTechU
- All Pac-12
- Posts: 7116
- Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:25 am
- Location: Hoboken, NJ
Re: QUACK! 2022 WR Stephon Johnson commits
Ducks are in on about a baker's dozen wide receivers. You may be thinking of Evan Stewart (I believe that's his name). Personally, I hope they get Merriweather and call it a day at the position. Get some damn corners.
-
GoDucks7
- One Star Recruit
- Posts: 77
- Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:28 pm
Re: QUACK! 2022 WR Stephon Johnson commits
Merriweather over Clemons? If so, why prefer him over Clemons? Personally, I would have liked them to wait and get Merriweather and Clemons prior to taking Johnson..
- GoDucksTroll
- Sophomore
- Posts: 1742
- Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:34 am
Re: QUACK! 2022 WR Stephon Johnson commits
Personally, I prefer Clemons to Meriweather but I would be equally happy with either one- I don’t think it’s a huge difference in talent level. Those are bigger WRs, you also need smaller and more agile guys like Boogie Johnson. You need to be able to stretch the field both vertically and horizontally.GoDucks7 wrote:Merriweather over Clemons? If so, why prefer him over Clemons? Personally, I would have liked them to wait and get Merriweather and Clemons prior to taking Johnson..
I think a three WR or even four WR class is possible. JJIII and Redd are gone for sure and if he has the type of year I’m hoping maybe Devon Williams goes pro. Bench guys transferring is of course a possibility as well. Cristobal and staff have also shown that they’re not afraid to change direction, we saw that with Burkhalter and Jonathan Flowe.
-
GoDucks7
- One Star Recruit
- Posts: 77
- Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:28 pm
Re: QUACK! 2022 WR Stephon Johnson commits
Absolutely on having different bodied WRs. I just think those two have skillsets that would be hard to pass up. We have a couple of guys on the roster who can play inside, guys like Hutson and Pittman. If we only take two WRs, one of them being Johnson knowing that we turn away Clemons or Merriweather, that would be tough. Either way, trust the coaches.
- StevensTechU
- All Pac-12
- Posts: 7116
- Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:25 am
- Location: Hoboken, NJ
Re: QUACK! 2022 WR Stephon Johnson commits
When you're recruiting guys who are 17, you should look at who was recruited in the last class, maybe last two, not the graduating seniors. Last class they got 4 wide receivers, plus Barkins who I wouldn't rule out ending up an offensive player. Recruiting more than 2-3 WRs in this class would mean recruiting next to none in the following two, which would create problems down the road unless you want 20% of your roster to be 3 positions.
-
GoDucks7
- One Star Recruit
- Posts: 77
- Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:28 pm
Re: QUACK! 2022 WR Stephon Johnson commits
Absolutely. If we keep taking 3+ each class we will turn into USC/ASU. I like the guys we have, just hoped that we would go for the two mentioned above if we are limiting the amount of guys we are taking.
- StevensTechU
- All Pac-12
- Posts: 7116
- Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:25 am
- Location: Hoboken, NJ
Re: QUACK! 2022 WR Stephon Johnson commits
I can't tell, but there might be a little confusion as to whether Stephon Johnson is an outside receiver or slot receiver. Johnson was listed at 6'0 as a sophomore and is 6'2 as a junior (and could still grow taller). He plays outside WR and looks like that's where he'll stick.
Clemons strikes me as being a bit rigid. On his tape, he's able to either run past or run around defenders, and doesn't show much 'wiggle' in his moves. I thought I remembered a lot of basket catches in his tape, but after watching again, there are some but there are others that seem to show he has strong hands. He's definitely stronger and a tad faster than Meriweather, who I would say is the more 'fluid' athlete of the two and has better change-of-direction, and I think in a competition of making tough grabs would probably win. Tobias reminds me a little of Dwayne Stanford, and I don't have a good comp for Clemons. I wouldn't be upset with either, nor do I think either is a slam dunk. Projecting wide receivers, at least for me, is tough.
Clemons strikes me as being a bit rigid. On his tape, he's able to either run past or run around defenders, and doesn't show much 'wiggle' in his moves. I thought I remembered a lot of basket catches in his tape, but after watching again, there are some but there are others that seem to show he has strong hands. He's definitely stronger and a tad faster than Meriweather, who I would say is the more 'fluid' athlete of the two and has better change-of-direction, and I think in a competition of making tough grabs would probably win. Tobias reminds me a little of Dwayne Stanford, and I don't have a good comp for Clemons. I wouldn't be upset with either, nor do I think either is a slam dunk. Projecting wide receivers, at least for me, is tough.
-
thomas time
- Senior
- Posts: 4692
- Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:18 am
Re: QUACK! 2022 WR Stephon Johnson commits
see a wr from Texas, Randy Masters has had some predictions for Oregon