How many WRs do the Ducks take this year?
Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1
-
jimmy12
- Senior
- Posts: 2823
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:38 am
How many WRs do the Ducks take this year?
I think 4, but I am not too sure.
-
chapelhillduck
- Senior
- Posts: 2393
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:15 am
Re: How many WRs do the Ducks take this year?
Guessing they’re done unless Coleman or TMac?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-
jimmy12
- Senior
- Posts: 2823
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:38 am
Re: How many WRs do the Ducks take this year?
chapelhillduck wrote:Guessing they’re done unless Coleman or TMac?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There seems to be some buzz around Coleman. T Mac appears to be a Zona lean. (I haven't heard that in a while)
- GoDucksTroll
- Sophomore
- Posts: 1742
- Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:34 am
Re: How many WRs do the Ducks take this year?
I’d agree on three or four if it’s right one.
A bit disappointing if the current group of Johnson/Anderson/Sategna is what follows up the last class. It wasn’t long ago we couldn’t get two 4-star WRs in the same class so maybe I’m being too picky. But there are two local 4-stars alone, plus a good amount of recruits on the West Coast alone. I’ve always said Darius Clemons > Tobias Meriweather, but nothing wrong with not trying for either ones if you can get better guys from further away. None of the current class are showstoppers, although all are good other elite programs wanted.
If no one other than JJ3 and Redd depart (unlikely) it would mean 12 WRs on the roster, a very reasonable roster management number.
What’s reasonable? If 3/22 starters are WRs that’s 13.6% of your starters, 15.2% if starting four. Carrying 12 WRs out of 85 is 14.1% of the roster, which seems like a sweet spot considering WRs also play special teams, injuries, rotation, practice bodies. If we have the class room then taking another WR this class is very reasonable.
A bit disappointing if the current group of Johnson/Anderson/Sategna is what follows up the last class. It wasn’t long ago we couldn’t get two 4-star WRs in the same class so maybe I’m being too picky. But there are two local 4-stars alone, plus a good amount of recruits on the West Coast alone. I’ve always said Darius Clemons > Tobias Meriweather, but nothing wrong with not trying for either ones if you can get better guys from further away. None of the current class are showstoppers, although all are good other elite programs wanted.
If no one other than JJ3 and Redd depart (unlikely) it would mean 12 WRs on the roster, a very reasonable roster management number.
What’s reasonable? If 3/22 starters are WRs that’s 13.6% of your starters, 15.2% if starting four. Carrying 12 WRs out of 85 is 14.1% of the roster, which seems like a sweet spot considering WRs also play special teams, injuries, rotation, practice bodies. If we have the class room then taking another WR this class is very reasonable.
- lukeyrid13
- All-American
- Posts: 10475
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:58 am
- GM: Portland TrailBlazers
Re: How many WRs do the Ducks take this year?
I think at least 1 of Crocker or Wilhoite will transfer after this year assuming they continue to ride the bench.
-
buckmarkduck
- All-American
- Posts: 11006
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:22 am
- Contact:
Re: How many WRs do the Ducks take this year?
lukeyrid13 wrote:I think at least 1 of Crocker or Wilhoite will transfer after this year assuming they continue to ride the bench.
Crocker seems very happy with his role. Unless he is forced out, I think he is basically a student, at a school he loves getting a free education and top notch fitness workout and diet. And he gets to be part of the team.
- StevensTechU
- All Pac-12
- Posts: 7116
- Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:25 am
- Location: Hoboken, NJ
Re: How many WRs do the Ducks take this year?
I haven't shut down the possibility that Wilhoite could still be a contributor. His high school tape is as good as anyone in this class.
-
jimmy12
- Senior
- Posts: 2823
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:38 am
Re: How many WRs do the Ducks take this year?
GoDucksTroll wrote:I’d agree on three or four if it’s right one.
A bit disappointing if the current group of Johnson/Anderson/Sategna is what follows up the last class. It wasn’t long ago we couldn’t get two 4-star WRs in the same class so maybe I’m being too picky. But there are two local 4-stars alone, plus a good amount of recruits on the West Coast alone. I’ve always said Darius Clemons > Tobias Meriweather, but nothing wrong with not trying for either ones if you can get better guys from further away. None of the current class are showstoppers, although all are good other elite programs wanted.
If no one other than JJ3 and Redd depart (unlikely) it would mean 12 WRs on the roster, a very reasonable roster management number. Xavier
What’s reasonable? If 3/22 starters are WRs that’s 13.6% of your starters, 15.2% if starting four. Carrying 12 WRs out of 85 is 14.1% of the roster, which seems like a sweet spot considering WRs also play special teams, injuries, rotation, practice bodies. If we have the class room then taking another WR this class is very reasonable.
I think you're putting too much stock in recruiting service ratings. This point is furthered by the covid year craziness. Many prospects have not been evaluated in 18 months. A better gauge is their offers. The receivers we have in the fold have BIG time offers. They also fill roles that may have been neglected in last year's class. This class has flare and SPEED.
Many were so upset by thee Ducks not making room for Xavier Worthy. Sategna addresses this need!
The Ducks know what they are doing when evaluating talent. Gone are the days of taking a player because of rating (willie t) or having to settle on whomever we get at the end (Helf).
It is a great time to be a duck.
-
northbeachsf
- Freshman
- Posts: 1494
- Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:54 pm
Re: How many WRs do the Ducks take this year?
We need to take 21, so USC cant cover us with their 20 DBs.
-
northbeachsf
- Freshman
- Posts: 1494
- Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:54 pm
Re: How many WRs do the Ducks take this year?
Excellent news....hopefully USC keeps signing DBs.

-
ducks5ever
- Four Star Recruit
- Posts: 936
- Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:15 pm
Re: How many WRs do the Ducks take this year?
On a slightly related note, anyone care to comment on why we're still taking a TE this class? I'll be surprised if Andre gets any meaningful playing time his first 2 year here... why not just sign another TE in 2 year vs now. I think it's crazy how we're already 6 deep at TE and can barely field a 2 deep in the secondary yet we're taking more. Add in the number of wideouts we have and it's pretty much guaranteed we won't be playing 2 TE sets.
-
jimmy12
- Senior
- Posts: 2823
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:38 am
Re: How many WRs do the Ducks take this year?
Usually smart to take 1 per call (is my guess). I am nervous that we won't likely take a RB in this class.
Next year, I would love (I guess this kind of obvious) for us to land a top 5 RB. I am hearing we may get Iluli in a few minutes AND have a lot of momentum for Conerly. Can you imagine? https://247sports.com/player/josh-conerly-jr-46057420/
Next year, I would love (I guess this kind of obvious) for us to land a top 5 RB. I am hearing we may get Iluli in a few minutes AND have a lot of momentum for Conerly. Can you imagine? https://247sports.com/player/josh-conerly-jr-46057420/
- StevensTechU
- All Pac-12
- Posts: 7116
- Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:25 am
- Location: Hoboken, NJ
Re: How many WRs do the Ducks take this year?
I wouldn't worry about taking no running back in this class. If any of Benson, Dollars, or Cardwell (or even McGee if that's where he plays) turn out to be good then we have multiple years to find a new starter. Running back is one of the few positions that require little development time to get on the field and they're usually near their peak by year 2. If none of those three pan out, I think the bigger concern is the coach at that position. Though we don't need a running back in this class, I'm a little salty both Sawchuk and Raleek Brown are both going to Oklahoma.
-
jimmy12
- Senior
- Posts: 2823
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:38 am
Re: How many WRs do the Ducks take this year?
StevensTechU wrote:I wouldn't worry about taking no running back in this class. If any of Benson, Dollars, or Cardwell (or even McGee if that's where he plays) turn out to be good then we have multiple years to find a new starter. Running back is one of the few positions that require little development time to get on the field and they're usually near their peak by year 2. If none of those three pan out, I think the bigger concern is the coach at that position. Though we don't need a running back in this class, I'm a little salty both Sawchuk and Raleek Brown are both going to Oklahoma.
I agree with you 100%. My concern also stems from that I do not see a top tier RB in next year's class that is attainable for Oregon. These classes create windows of opportunity. We have a top tier QB (Thompson), TEs that will be the best we have seen at Oregon, WRs that are NFL level and an OL that is built to win in all regions. Where is the RB? I agree with you that Cardwell or Benson could be that man. I just want to see on where the world takes notice at the quality at every position. Make sense?
- StevensTechU
- All Pac-12
- Posts: 7116
- Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:25 am
- Location: Hoboken, NJ
Re: How many WRs do the Ducks take this year?
Mundt, Baylis, and Pharaoh Brown were all on the same team and have all collected NFL paychecks, so I don't know about "TEs that will be the best we have seen at Oregon." haha Even before them, Ed Dickson, David Paulson and Dante Rosario were all top tier.
I think part of the reason that I have an extra critical eye of Mastro and Chance is that we know excellence is attainable at their positions for UofO. People can say whatever they want about recruiting on the west coast, but DBs and RBs (and QBs) are abundant. If you aren't getting future-NFL types of guys, that's your fault either because you're not good at scouting (star chasing), not good at recruiting, or not good at developing. Neal was a so-so recruiter, yet still had Ifo, Troy Hill, and Terrance Mitchell as his cornerbacks on the same team, and that wasn't even his best DB group in his tenure. When you look at some of the corners and safeties at places like Cal, Colorado, uw, and other inferior schools, you see that you don't need to find a five star from Georgia to find difference-makers.
I think part of the reason that I have an extra critical eye of Mastro and Chance is that we know excellence is attainable at their positions for UofO. People can say whatever they want about recruiting on the west coast, but DBs and RBs (and QBs) are abundant. If you aren't getting future-NFL types of guys, that's your fault either because you're not good at scouting (star chasing), not good at recruiting, or not good at developing. Neal was a so-so recruiter, yet still had Ifo, Troy Hill, and Terrance Mitchell as his cornerbacks on the same team, and that wasn't even his best DB group in his tenure. When you look at some of the corners and safeties at places like Cal, Colorado, uw, and other inferior schools, you see that you don't need to find a five star from Georgia to find difference-makers.