Florence--- I feel good about him coming back

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

User avatar
StevensTechU
All Pac-12
Posts: 7116
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:25 am
Location: Hoboken, NJ

Re: Florence--- I feel good about him coming back

Post by StevensTechU »

It kind of sounds like Jahlil is favoring Oregon and the parents might be favoring USC. Here we go.
User avatar
DmoneyDuck
Sophomore
Posts: 1587
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:18 pm
Location: Portland, OR
Contact:

Re: Florence--- I feel good about him coming back

Post by DmoneyDuck »

SC has like a million DBs ...
jimmy12
Senior
Posts: 2823
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:38 am

Re: Florence--- I feel good about him coming back

Post by jimmy12 »

just under a million
alxtw
Freshman
Posts: 1263
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:46 pm

Re: Florence--- I feel good about him coming back

Post by alxtw »

StevensTechU wrote:It kind of sounds like Jahlil is favoring Oregon and the parents might be favoring USC. Here we go.
From Jahlil's story in the article, it sounds like his parents favor Oregon, to allow the coaches to enter their house at 12:01am once the dead period ended. They could have easily said no, come tomorrow during the day time, but wanted the coaches to surprise their son.
User avatar
StevensTechU
All Pac-12
Posts: 7116
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:25 am
Location: Hoboken, NJ

Re: Florence--- I feel good about him coming back

Post by StevensTechU »

alxtw wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:It kind of sounds like Jahlil is favoring Oregon and the parents might be favoring USC. Here we go.
From Jahlil's story in the article, it sounds like his parents favor Oregon, to allow the coaches to enter their house at 12:01am once the dead period ended. They could have easily said no, come tomorrow during the day time, but wanted the coaches to surprise their son.
In reading a couple articles, when USC is brought up, he always mentions how much mom/dad like it. That's the reason for my statement, but you never know since we're not talking to him ourselves.
User avatar
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore
Posts: 1742
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:34 am

Re: Florence--- I feel good about him coming back

Post by GoDucksTroll »

If I was a parent and my kid had a choice of admittance and scholarship between U of O and USC, I’d also favor USC. Especially if you’re living in the San Diego area. I can’t blame the parents for that, as long as the final choice rests with Jahlil.
User avatar
StevensTechU
All Pac-12
Posts: 7116
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:25 am
Location: Hoboken, NJ

Re: Florence--- I feel good about him coming back

Post by StevensTechU »

GoDucksTroll wrote:If I was a parent and my kid had a choice of admittance and scholarship between U of O and USC, I’d also favor USC. Especially if you’re living in the San Diego area. I can’t blame the parents for that, as long as the final choice rests with Jahlil.
Personally, I wouldn't, unless they were set on media/entertainment. Anecdotally, I've found that the whole "University of Spoiled Children" thing is incredibly accurate, and that's not really what I'd want my kids to think of as 'normal' during pretty formative years. They'll be 18, so it's their choice, but I'm personally glad that wasn't the direction life took me.

Higher admission standards means their average is better than our average, but if you're graduating in the top 10% of Oregon or top 20% of USC, you're going to have the same doors open to you (save for media/entertainment, as mentioned) either way. Conversely, if you graduate at the bottom of the class at either school, I'm not sure people are prying open doors for you because of the name on your diploma. Neither school is Harvard.
User avatar
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore
Posts: 1742
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:34 am

Re: Florence--- I feel good about him coming back

Post by GoDucksTroll »

StevensTechU wrote:
GoDucksTroll wrote:If I was a parent and my kid had a choice of admittance and scholarship between U of O and USC, I’d also favor USC. Especially if you’re living in the San Diego area. I can’t blame the parents for that, as long as the final choice rests with Jahlil.
Personally, I wouldn't, unless they were set on media/entertainment. Anecdotally, I've found that the whole "University of Spoiled Children" thing is incredibly accurate, and that's not really what I'd want my kids to think of as 'normal' during pretty formative years. They'll be 18, so it's their choice, but I'm personally glad that wasn't the direction life took me.

Higher admission standards means their average is better than our average, but if you're graduating in the top 10% of Oregon or top 20% of USC, you're going to have the same doors open to you (save for media/entertainment, as mentioned) either way. Conversely, if you graduate at the bottom of the class at either school, I'm not sure people are prying open doors for you because of the name on your diploma. Neither school is Harvard.
I’m not going to denigrate my own education while praising a rival, but while neither school is Harvard - one is a lot less Harvard-y than the other. I’ll agree that unless there’s a renowned program undergrad degrees from name brand universities aren’t that disparate. But when it comes to applying to grad school, they make a world of difference. USC has much more prestige academically. Grad school isn’t probably what the Florence family has in mind, but even if all things were equal for them it’s much closer to home. I hope Jahlil winds up a Duck, but his parents are reasonably playing devil’s advocate.
User avatar
StevensTechU
All Pac-12
Posts: 7116
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:25 am
Location: Hoboken, NJ

Re: Florence--- I feel good about him coming back

Post by StevensTechU »

Yea, idk. I did a grad program at Stanford. I have good friends who went to grad school at NYU, Duke, Harvard, Cambridge and Stanford, as well. "Oregon" doesn't open a lot of doors, but it doesn't close them, either. And to that end, the number of schools with such a strong brand that they open doors on name alone (not GPA, test scores, achievements or experience) is maybe 10 schools in the country, and USC isn't one of those.

If you're an Oregon grad who scored in the 90th percentile on your GREs, you're probably getting into the same programs as a USC grad who scored in the 90th percentile on their GREs....
User avatar
greenyellow
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 39213
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:54 pm
Location: Eugene, OR

Re: Florence--- I feel good about him coming back

Post by greenyellow »

Announcing Monday at 2 PM PST.
Image
northbeachsf
Freshman
Posts: 1494
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:54 pm

Re: Florence--- I feel good about him coming back

Post by northbeachsf »

GoDucksTroll wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:
GoDucksTroll wrote:If I was a parent and my kid had a choice of admittance and scholarship between U of O and USC, I’d also favor USC. Especially if you’re living in the San Diego area. I can’t blame the parents for that, as long as the final choice rests with Jahlil.
Personally, I wouldn't, unless they were set on media/entertainment. Anecdotally, I've found that the whole "University of Spoiled Children" thing is incredibly accurate, and that's not really what I'd want my kids to think of as 'normal' during pretty formative years. They'll be 18, so it's their choice, but I'm personally glad that wasn't the direction life took me.

Higher admission standards means their average is better than our average, but if you're graduating in the top 10% of Oregon or top 20% of USC, you're going to have the same doors open to you (save for media/entertainment, as mentioned) either way. Conversely, if you graduate at the bottom of the class at either school, I'm not sure people are prying open doors for you because of the name on your diploma. Neither school is Harvard.
I’m not going to denigrate my own education while praising a rival, but while neither school is Harvard - one is a lot less Harvard-y than the other. I’ll agree that unless there’s a renowned program undergrad degrees from name brand universities aren’t that disparate. But when it comes to applying to grad school, they make a world of difference. USC has much more prestige academically. Grad school isn’t probably what the Florence family has in mind, but even if all things were equal for them it’s much closer to home. I hope Jahlil winds up a Duck, but his parents are reasonably playing devil’s advocate.

USC currently projects 20 DBs on the roster for the 2022 season. If he wants playing time sooner, Oregon may be the best bet here.
RanDux
Senior
Posts: 2840
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:19 pm
Location: Happy Valley, OR

Re: Florence--- I feel good about him coming back

Post by RanDux »

jimmy12 wrote:just under a million
No, I think bvb it's a million and 1.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
User avatar
greenyellow
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 39213
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:54 pm
Location: Eugene, OR

Re: Florence--- I feel good about him coming back

Post by greenyellow »

We'll be finding out in a bit where he ends up going. Hoping it's Oregon with him taking his final OV to Oregon this weekend.
Image
User avatar
greenyellow
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 39213
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:54 pm
Location: Eugene, OR

Re: Florence--- I feel good about him coming back

Post by greenyellow »

QUACK! Florence recommits to Oregon.
Image
User avatar
Weston
Three Star Recruit
Posts: 480
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:51 pm

Re: Florence--- I feel good about him coming back

Post by Weston »

QUACK!!
Post Reply