MBB: Oregon @ Cal (Jan. 18, Wed 7 PM Pac-12 Network)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

User avatar
greenyellow
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 39213
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:54 pm
Location: Eugene, OR

MBB: Oregon @ Cal (Jan. 18, Wed 7 PM Pac-12 Network)

Post by greenyellow »

CAL
JAN. 18 (WED) 7 PM
BERKELEY, CA
TV: PAC-12 NETWORK
Image
TheDrake
Three Star Recruit
Posts: 382
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:46 am

Re: MBB: Oregon @ Cal (Jan. 18, Wed 7 PM Pac-12 Network)

Post by TheDrake »

So far pretty good. Up 22 12 min to go
User avatar
greenyellow
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 39213
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:54 pm
Location: Eugene, OR

Re: MBB: Oregon @ Cal (Jan. 18, Wed 7 PM Pac-12 Network)

Post by greenyellow »

Ducks looks to finally have turned a corner with them making this game look so effortless. Good start to the Bay Area trip.
Image
TheDrake
Three Star Recruit
Posts: 382
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:46 am

Re: MBB: Oregon @ Cal (Jan. 18, Wed 7 PM Pac-12 Network)

Post by TheDrake »

87-58 final
User avatar
greenyellow
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 39213
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:54 pm
Location: Eugene, OR

Re: MBB: Oregon @ Cal (Jan. 18, Wed 7 PM Pac-12 Network)

Post by greenyellow »

That went about as well as anyone could have expected. Glad they didn't come out overly flat and were able to keep their foot on the gas even with the reserves. Getting a sweep would be huge and very much needed this weekend.
Image
User avatar
greenyellow
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 39213
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:54 pm
Location: Eugene, OR

Re: MBB: Oregon @ Cal (Jan. 18, Wed 7 PM Pac-12 Network)

Post by greenyellow »

Image
User avatar
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 40580
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:28 pm
GM: Boston Celtics GM
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: MBB: Oregon @ Cal (Jan. 18, Wed 7 PM Pac-12 Network)

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Cal is pretty bad but our first half D was very good.

Good game! It would be sooooo sweet if we beat Stanford.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
northbeachsf
Freshman
Posts: 1494
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:54 pm

Re: MBB: Oregon @ Cal (Jan. 18, Wed 7 PM Pac-12 Network)

Post by northbeachsf »

Nice win. However, this is still a team that lacks consistent scorers. IMO, that is going to make it extremely hard to go on a run and make the tourney. Picking up a sweep in the Bay Area will help, but it won't move the needle that much.

Oregon is currently 58 in the NET with two Quad 3 losses and only two Quad 1 wins. There is literally zero margin for error. They are going to have to beat everyone the rest of the way not named AZ, ASU, and UCLA AND pick up at least 2 wins from that group to have a decent shot to get in.

I hate to be negative, but I don't see it happening with this team.
User avatar
greenyellow
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 39213
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:54 pm
Location: Eugene, OR

Re: MBB: Oregon @ Cal (Jan. 18, Wed 7 PM Pac-12 Network)

Post by greenyellow »

Image
User avatar
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 40580
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:28 pm
GM: Boston Celtics GM
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: MBB: Oregon @ Cal (Jan. 18, Wed 7 PM Pac-12 Network)

Post by UOducksTK1 »

northbeachsf wrote:Nice win. However, this is still a team that lacks consistent scorers. IMO, that is going to make it extremely hard to go on a run and make the tourney. Picking up a sweep in the Bay Area will help, but it won't move the needle that much.

Oregon is currently 58 in the NET with two Quad 3 losses and only two Quad 1 wins. There is literally zero margin for error. They are going to have to beat everyone the rest of the way not named AZ, ASU, and UCLA AND pick up at least 2 wins from that group to have a decent shot to get in.

I hate to be negative, but I don't see it happening with this team.
Dang, thinking ncaa tourney? I feel like that ship has pretty much sailed. At this point, just enjoying a good basketball win!

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
northbeachsf
Freshman
Posts: 1494
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:54 pm

Re: MBB: Oregon @ Cal (Jan. 18, Wed 7 PM Pac-12 Network)

Post by northbeachsf »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
northbeachsf wrote:Nice win. However, this is still a team that lacks consistent scorers. IMO, that is going to make it extremely hard to go on a run and make the tourney. Picking up a sweep in the Bay Area will help, but it won't move the needle that much.

Oregon is currently 58 in the NET with two Quad 3 losses and only two Quad 1 wins. There is literally zero margin for error. They are going to have to beat everyone the rest of the way not named AZ, ASU, and UCLA AND pick up at least 2 wins from that group to have a decent shot to get in.

I hate to be negative, but I don't see it happening with this team.
Dang, thinking ncaa tourney? I feel like that ship has pretty much sailed. At this point, just enjoying a good basketball win!
Yeah. Agree...that ship has sailed for this team I think. If we had better guard play, I would say there is still a chance, but we don't.
User avatar
pudgejeff
All Pac-12
Posts: 5014
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:21 am
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Re: MBB: Oregon @ Cal (Jan. 18, Wed 7 PM Pac-12 Network)

Post by pudgejeff »

northbeachsf wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:
northbeachsf wrote:Nice win. However, this is still a team that lacks consistent scorers. IMO, that is going to make it extremely hard to go on a run and make the tourney. Picking up a sweep in the Bay Area will help, but it won't move the needle that much.

Oregon is currently 58 in the NET with two Quad 3 losses and only two Quad 1 wins. There is literally zero margin for error. They are going to have to beat everyone the rest of the way not named AZ, ASU, and UCLA AND pick up at least 2 wins from that group to have a decent shot to get in.

I hate to be negative, but I don't see it happening with this team.
Dang, thinking ncaa tourney? I feel like that ship has pretty much sailed. At this point, just enjoying a good basketball win!
Yeah. Agree...that ship has sailed for this team I think. If we had better guard play, I would say there is still a chance, but we don't.
Surprisingly I actually think this team has the horses to make a run, but because of the defense. I think the depth is there, for this to turn into a relentless pressure team with bigs that can erase mistakes on the back end. I think we begin to see the higher pressure press than usual from early on in games and less of the shortening the shot clock version we see for the most part normally.
73duck
Three Star Recruit
Posts: 344
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:20 am

Re: MBB: Oregon @ Cal (Jan. 18, Wed 7 PM Pac-12 Network)

Post by 73duck »

Finishing strong, even with a weak NET, may count for something. And, of course, there is the conference tourney ... just looking for a reason to keep following this team ;-)
droop10
Freshman
Posts: 1413
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:07 am

Re: MBB: Oregon @ Cal (Jan. 18, Wed 7 PM Pac-12 Network)

Post by droop10 »

I know I'm sounding like a broken record, but I definitely think people are counting this team out too early. Couisnard and Barthelemy have looked good since their return, which is adding to guard depth. They still have some shooting concerns, but the defense is going to take a huge step forward as everyone gets comfortable playing with each other, and as they employ more press. While the committee definitely looks heavy at NET, they aren't solely focused on the numbers. If the Ducks finish strong, they can still take into account how shorthanded the Ducks were at the beginning of the season.

The schedule is pretty favorable going forward with most of their toughest games coming at home, outside of going to Arizona for those games, but I think they are actually a really tough matchup for Arizona, as they have a lot of bigs to counter Arizona's strength on the interior. Arizona's perimeter shooting is not all that much better. I also think depending on the matchups, they are capable of making a deep run in the Pac-12 tourney. I could easily see a 12-3 finish (including potential Pac-12 tournament games in here) with a couple of Quad 1 wins, which I think would be enough to sneak in.
rockthief
Senior
Posts: 4781
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:52 am
Location: Stand By Me

Re: MBB: Oregon @ Cal (Jan. 18, Wed 7 PM Pac-12 Network)

Post by rockthief »

How about cease flinging up threes hoping they will go into the basket, instead working for a good two shot. It has been ridiculous.
Post Reply