DB Daylen Austin arrested for hit and run

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Re: DB Daylen Austin arrested for hit and run

Post by UOducksTK1 »

This is what we are learning. Ducks recruiting, baseball, etc. is not interesting to discuss even on a Ducks forum. We all want to discuss politics. Maybe we can rename this board and change the focus..

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

With regards to the Austin case, it's odd that none of the reports are saying whether he's the one who actually hit and killed the victim. So far they've only said he failed to perform duties of a driver. I wonder if they're still investigating him or another driver with how little they've put out.
HomeSickDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by HomeSickDuck »

greenyellow wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 3:48 pm With regards to the Austin case, it's odd that none of the reports are saying whether he's the one who actually hit and killed the victim. So far they've only said he failed to perform duties of a driver. I wonder if they're still investigating him or another driver with how little they've put out.
In Oregon, there are two levels of Failure to Perform the Duties of a Driver, also known as hit and run. The first, which is a misdemeanor, is when property is damaged. The second, which is a felony and what Daylen has been charged with, is when the result of a collision results in either injury or death and the driver doesn’t remain at the scene and/or report what happened. So basically, it looks like they know daylen hit the guy, but if they haven’t charged him with anything else (manslaughter, murder,etc.) they’re saying the collision itself wasn’t intentional, reckless or negligent on Daylen’s part. He just failed to perform the duties of a driver in a collision when someone was injured or killed. But again, this is just based on the very limited information put out.

You could be not at fault for a crash that injured someone and still be charged with that crime if you flee the scene.
73duck
Three Star Recruit

Post by 73duck »

Reading through the thread, I don't see an explanation of how the police knew it was Austin. That suggests the possibility that Austin called the police once he got safely away from the scene, which could support a justification or necessity defense. If so, the case should get washed at grand jury.
HomeSickDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by HomeSickDuck »

73duck wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 5:17 pm Reading through the thread, I don't see an explanation of how the police knew it was Austin. That suggests the possibility that Austin called the police once he got safely away from the scene, which could support a justification or necessity defense. If so, the case should get washed at grand jury.
Yeah, it would also depend on how long after the incident he called. It would be understandable for someone who doesn’t necessarily know what to do to leave the scene, then quickly call. But if it’s hours later, that defense gets shaky. I think I did read somewhere that he might have called later? But don’t recall and can’t find it.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

73duck wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 5:17 pm Reading through the thread, I don't see an explanation of how the police knew it was Austin. That suggests the possibility that Austin called the police once he got safely away from the scene, which could support a justification or necessity defense. If so, the case should get washed at grand jury.
I thought there was also witnesses, so someone could’ve witnessed it and called the cops and reported Austin’s vehicle.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »