Any suggestions for new Hoops Coach?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

soduck
Four Star Recruit

I posted this as a grass is always greener scenario

Post by soduck »

In others words If Kent is let go who could we replace him with that would be better. We could end up with a worse coach, or a lateral quality coach as some say that could be Mark Few for example. But If Kent is to be replaced are there a couple of possible coaches who would definately be better and would they want to come here for a fair price. Tubby Smith might be the right fit for the right price and likely a long term upgrade. We certainly want a destination coach. I like Mike Montgomery, but how long will he likely keep coaching? We could probably not land Rick Pitino. I was asking a what if question about Kent as who is out there. If we cant land the right coach then certainly lets keep Kent, or at least give him another season. I am sorry if I offended any one about my what if question. I miss having a resident expert in bball like we had with MacMallard in the old educk days. That was fun until he got pissed off. Ofcourse he was wrong about Kelvin Sampson's ethics, though.
Last edited by soduck on Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
OreDucks01284
Senior

Re: Any suggestions for new Hoops Coach?

Post by OreDucks01284 »

hmm, I have question. I think Kent will have one more chance. Hot Seat IMO, But heres question, is there any coach out there that are almost on expired contract or on hot seats in 1-2 years that we might have chance to have them coach for Ducks?
duckduckgoose
Five Star Recruit

Post by duckduckgoose »

chump01284 wrote:hmm, I have question. I think Kent will have one more chance. Hot Seat IMO, But heres question, is there any coach out there that are almost on expired contract or on hot seats in 1-2 years that we might have chance to have them coach for Ducks?
If they are on the hot seat at another school, is that really someone that we want to consider for our coach?
Duckxing
Two Star Recruit

Post by Duckxing »

Someone who I think could really revitalize the entire BB program would be Tubby Smith. He won a national championship at UK, but then was fired because their AD and boosters are crazy. Now he is at Minny and leading them in the big dance.
ducksrock
Senior

Post by ducksrock »

I am thinkin Steve Lavin might be a possibility. He does seem to know the game of basketball, and is currently contracted as an announcer/analyst through 2012, I believe. UCLA did well under his watch plus he is not a "total" hothead....
So, IMO, top candidates are Few, T. Smith, and Lavin....Any one of which would have to be an improvement over what we have....
And keep Kent as "Director of Basketball Recruiting".
After this last season, EK surely cant be considered as a hot commodity in the HC department...
Howry
Three Star Recruit

Post by Howry »

What about Chris Lowery of Southern Illinois. He is a young up and coming coach, has guided the Salukis to the sweet 16 as recently as 2007. His teams tend to play decent defense. He is a younger, african american coach who should be able to relate well to the players. Played PG himself in college.

Is listed as honorable mention on some of the top college basketball coaches lists.

Arizona has shown interest in him. Iowa did as well.
VinnyKnuckles
Four Star Recruit

Post by VinnyKnuckles »

ducksrock wrote:I am thinkin Steve Lavin might be a possibility. He does seem to know the game of basketball, and is currently contracted as an announcer/analyst through 2012, I believe.
The criticism of Lavin at UCLA was that he wasn't an X's and O's coach, he had questionable substitution patterns, his team played inconsistently, etc. It sounds a lot like the criticism of Ernie. Of course, this is pretty much the standard criticism of every coach that isn't doing as well as fans expect. A person would need to make their own determination of how much validity there is to it.

Lavin also had a reputation for not making his players take academics seriously. He had a very dismal record of players not graduating at UCLA, for a variety of reasons. The athletic director at the time wasn't happy with Lavin's unwillingness to get tough with players that slacked in the classroom.

Lavin's biggest strength was considered his recruiting, but many considered him to be a horrible evaluator of talent. As one scout said of him...

“Steve is a phenomenal recruiter but a terrible evaluator,” one scout said. “If he had somebody who could point him at a guy and say, ‘Go get him,’ he’d be fine. But he doesn’t have anybody that can do that. That’s why they end up with a roster full of guys who are either McDonald’s All-Americans or can’t play.”
soduck
Four Star Recruit

how about this guy, Lon Kruger

Post by soduck »

Lon Kruger, most recently, in 2007, he took the UNLV Rebels to the NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Championship Sweet 16 for the first time since 1991. and back to ncaa first round loss this year.

I was thinking about Tim Floyd and how great he came in from the NBA for USC. 2 time SEC Coy at florida, final 4, NBA experince, and Florida and Illinois experience. Just a thought,

http://www.lvrj.com/sports/7934472.html

http://www.nba.com/coachfile/lon_kruger/index.html
duckfan96
Senior

Post by duckfan96 »

Bobby Knight? Why not?
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

1. Win
2. See above
3. All the above
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

If Oregon decides to change men’s basketball coach, who might the candidates be for the Ducks?

CURRENT COACHES

Mark Few, Gonzaga: All those connections to Eugene, and a friendship with Kilkenny. Oh, and a decade of success in his current job.

Mark Turgeon, Texas A&M: Former UO assistant was a finalist along with Kent, but Kansas grad would cost a bundle to lure from Aggies.

Billy Grier, San Diego: Turned down OSU a year ago, but Few’s former assistant has that friendship with Kilkenny, too.

Randy Bennett, Saint Mary’s: Has beaten the Ducks each of past two seasons; when will the time be better to get out of Moraga?

Mike Anderson, Missouri: After 89-41 at Alabama-Birmingham, he’s 65-35 in three seasons with Mizzou, including 31-7 after loss to UConn in Elite Eight this season.

OUT OF WORK

P.J. Carlesimo: Oft-fired in the NBA, he certainly had success back in his Seton Hall days. Too old? Did you see UO’s hire for women?

Billy Gillispie: Oregon expectations don’t match Kentucky … do they? Before Lexington, he was a big success at UTEP and Texas A&M.

Reggie Theus: Fired by Sacramento Kings, former Louisville assistant was 41-23 with NCAA tourney berth in two seasons at New Mexico State.

ASSISTANT COACHES

Mike Dunlap: Credited with major contributions to Arizona success this season; in nine seasons with Denver at Division II, won 83 percent of games.

Ray Giacoletti: Now aiding Few at Gonzaga, was assistant at Washington before going 171-123 in 10 seasons as a head coach, the last at Utah.

Related Links

This was from the Register Guard today