Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

soduck
Four Star Recruit

Any suggestions for new Hoops Coach?

Post by soduck »

Besides Few?
AJ_U
Three Star Recruit

Re: Any suggestions for new Hoops Coach?

Post by AJ_U »

Wrong Section. I'm moving this to the basketball section.
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

I'm not really familiar as to who might be available. A few years ago, I heard Steve Wojokowski's name mentioned(Duke's assistant coach). Steve Lavin might be looking to coach again. Bill Grier from the University of San Diego. I heard Tubby Smith's name tossed around the other day. I'm just listing some possibilities, not necessarily guys I would like to see be the next Oregon coach. As far as I'm concerned, I want our next coach to be able to recruit and teach the ducks to play defense.
briarduck
Senior

Post by briarduck »

I don't follow BB as closely as FB so as long as the dude can coach OFF and DEF equally I'm happy! I say raid a one of the top schools in the nations top assistant who's looking to break out!

BTW can we keep EK as recruiting coordinator? :D ya ya I know...

GO DUCKS!!
GO DUCKS!! WTD!
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

I don't care if the replacement is a wizard at offense or defense, as long as he (OK... Or she!) has a partner who is a whiz at the opposite... Especially if one of them can develope a big decently, in the mode of a Greg Ballard, or even Kelvin Small, for instance.

Throw in the ability to analyze talent to fit the system, and I will be satisfied. Dick Harter-like intensity may not win any popularity contests, but you have to admit the Kamikaze kids were consistently competitive.

Not only that, but in today's era of 64 team March Madness, the Ducks would have been a far more regular participant in the tourney. Coming in second to UCLA, Oregon State, Wazzu, or any other PAC-10 team would have guaranteed a ticket to the Dance, unlike the days when winning a regular season league championship outright was the only way to ensure a foot in the door (Remember when the KK's were passed over in favor of teams they defeated in PAC-10 play?).

http://www.goducks.com/ViewArticle.dbml ... LID=235085

Dick Harter will forever be remembered in Duck lore as the man who brought the “Kamikaze Kids” and their legacy to Oregon basketball. Posting an overall record of 113-81 in his seven years as Duck head coach, Harter’s teams were known for their defensive prowess and hard-charging attitudes. He compiled six consecutive winning seasons, including three consecutive National Invitation Tournament trips from 1974-1977 with records of 21-9, 20-10, and 19-10. He was also named Pac-8 Coach of the Year in 1977.

One thing about a coach like Harter... Be careful what you wish for: His intensity reminded me of the coach at KSU, whom many of us found unpalatable when Oregon played them earlier this season.

Harter got results, but many players were unwilling to give the effort demanded, included Dean Roberts, the younger brother (As well as a pretty decent baseball player, himself.) of former Oregon Baseball All-American, Dave Roberts.
Last edited by woundedknees on Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

briarduck
Senior

Post by briarduck »

great insight wounded!
GO DUCKS!! WTD!
Mops
Four Star Recruit

Post by Mops »

Why are we looking for a new coach? Has EK been fired?
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

Mops wrote:Why are we looking for a new coach? Has EK been fired?

No, but I think the majority of us are hoping he is.
ducksin2010
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducksin2010 »

i'm not.
Mops
Four Star Recruit

Post by Mops »

Im on the fence that believes Kent deserves one more year. NIT quarters or fired.
briarduck
Senior

Post by briarduck »

I've heard good arguments both ways...so I'm on the fence as well!

But none of us can deny what he has done with OR hoops!

GO DUCKS!!
GO DUCKS!! WTD!
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

I am not so much advocating the firing of EK, as suggesting that if that happens, due diligence needs to be made to ensure that we are actually improving the program.

If all that is accomplished is changing coaches, without properly addressing acknowledged needs, the program will either regress or stagnate... Something none of us wants, and that the Ducks can ill afford with the inauguration of the new arena clearly in sight.

If all that is accomplished is change for the sake of change, it is a waste of time and money on the part of the University of Oregon.

We had that already with the series of coaches who immediately preceded the hiring of Ernie (Jim Haney, Don Monson, Jerry Green, ad nauseum...).

soduck
Four Star Recruit

I am a grass may be greener on the other side

Post by soduck »

That is why I posted this question. I know we have a chance at getting Few. He may be better than Kent. We certainly have a potential to get someone better than Kent and maybe someone better in someways and not in others. I don't know who is a Nike guy if that matters, or for that matter who else is out there. With the new arena and our Nike connections this should be a big draw. I would love someone like Tim Floyd. Great defensive teams and awesome recruiter. The Pac 10 is incredibly tough now, but 2 wins is unacceptable. Would we want to keep even Belotti if he only had one, or two wins in conference? Would we think we could do better? Would we accept that his team was young as an excuse? I know Kent has done some great things here, grad rate, 2 elite 8 etc. I despise Calzano, but he may be correct that this school has out grown Kents ability to take us to the next level, consistent NCAA and ofcourse a final four, or better. Who would have dreamed we would be in the chase for NC in football twice in the last decade 20 years ago. Does anyone doubt that Belotti could have coached us to a win in the NC game. I have my doubts whether Kent could coach us to a win in a final four though. He does not seem to be able to adapt to many various coaching game time stagedies. In the past he has been obviously effective often, but his in game adaptations have sometimes been lacking. Imagine him against coach K for example.
ducksrock
Senior

Post by ducksrock »

Agreed, to compete in the final 4 requires some form of an offensive set...
The ole shoot the 3 pointer every possession wont hack it...
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Image Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't someone need to go first?