Page 2 of 2
Re: Notre Dame . . .
Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:11 am
by Greenblood
I was also there. It was indeed 1982; the Ducks didn't have a tie in 1981. The tie was a great achievement for the Ducks of that year. It was actually one of the better Gerry Faust coached Notre Dame teams, which were never very good.
Re: Notre Dame . . .
Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:27 am
by Bud Lee
Greenblood wrote:I was also there. It was indeed 1982; the Ducks didn't have a tie in 1981. The tie was a great achievement for the Ducks of that year. It was actually one of the better Gerry Faust coached Notre Dame teams, which were never very good.
I was still sucking a bottle in '81 by the way
Re: Notre Dame . . .
Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:42 am
by duck55
Bud Lee wrote:Greenblood wrote:I was also there. It was indeed 1982; the Ducks didn't have a tie in 1981. The tie was a great achievement for the Ducks of that year. It was actually one of the better Gerry Faust coached Notre Dame teams, which were never very good.
I was still sucking a bottle in '81 by the way
There are quite a few who were around in '81 that are still sucking the bottle.
Re: Notre Dame . . .
Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:53 pm
by Greenblood
So the Irish have passed another test -- barely. Argh. They still have to play OU at Norman (in two weeks) and USC in LA. I sure hope that the Sooners' demolition of Texas is indicative of how good the Sooners are now.
Re: Notre Dame . . .
Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:10 pm
by karlhungis
Greenblood wrote:So the Irish have passed another test -- barely. Argh. They still have to play OU at Norman (in two weeks) and USC in LA. I sure hope that the Sooners' demolition of Texas is indicative of how good the Sooners are now.
I don't see any reason to believe that USC is better than ND. I think OU has shown enough to believe that they can beat ND but I am not counting on USC. Go sooners.
Re: Notre Dame . . .
Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:13 pm
by Braveheart
Greenblood wrote:So the Irish have passed another test -- barely. Argh. They still have to play OU at Norman (in two weeks) and USC in LA. I sure hope that the Sooners' demolition of Texas is indicative of how good the Sooners are now.
I dunno. Only team OU has faced with a good defense....KSU.
Re: Notre Dame . . .
Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:15 pm
by AutzenMember
Greenblood wrote:I was also there. It was indeed 1982; the Ducks didn't have a tie in 1981. The tie was a great achievement for the Ducks of that year. It was actually one of the better Gerry Faust coached Notre Dame teams, which were never very good.
I was there too. Final score 16-16. I used to have a picture of the scoreboard when it was 16-13 Oregon in the 4th quarter, but I can't find it.
Oregon played out of their head that day, and should have won. With today's replay abilities they would've...video showed on ND's only TD, that the receiver was actually out of the back of the end zone when he made the catch. Also, Oregon's RB fumbled when going airborne to cross the goal line and ND recovered in the end zone for a touchback.
The atmosphere at Autzen was like no other time I've been there...with ND retail carts all over the place selling Irish gear (even INSIDE the stadium!). Great memories of the game with my dad.
Re: Notre Dame . . .
Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:27 pm
by ducksrock
AutzenMember wrote:Greenblood wrote:I was also there. It was indeed 1982; the Ducks didn't have a tie in 1981. The tie was a great achievement for the Ducks of that year. It was actually one of the better Gerry Faust coached Notre Dame teams, which were never very good.
I was there too. Final score 16-16. I used to have a picture of the scoreboard when it was 16-13 Oregon in the 4th quarter, but I can't find it.
Oregon played out of their head that day, and should have won. With today's replay abilities they would've...video showed on ND's only TD, that the receiver was actually out of the back of the end zone when he made the catch. Also, Oregon's RB fumbled when going airborne to cross the goal line and ND recovered in the end zone for a touchback.
The atmosphere at Autzen was like no other time I've been there...with ND retail carts all over the place selling Irish gear (even INSIDE the stadium!). Great memories of the game with my dad.
The Luck of the Irish????? Ask Stanford about that concept.....
Re: Notre Dame . . .
Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:50 pm
by Greenblood
AutzenMember wrote:Greenblood wrote:I was also there. It was indeed 1982; the Ducks didn't have a tie in 1981. The tie was a great achievement for the Ducks of that year. It was actually one of the better Gerry Faust coached Notre Dame teams, which were never very good.
I was there too. Final score 16-16. I used to have a picture of the scoreboard when it was 16-13 Oregon in the 4th quarter, but I can't find it.
Oregon played out of their head that day, and should have won. With today's replay abilities they would've...video showed on ND's only TD, that the receiver was actually out of the back of the end zone when he made the catch. Also, Oregon's RB fumbled when going airborne to cross the goal line and ND recovered in the end zone for a touchback.
The atmosphere at Autzen was like no other time I've been there...with ND retail carts all over the place selling Irish gear (even INSIDE the stadium!). Great memories of the game with my dad.
Actually that 1982 game ended up 13-13 (
http://www.goducks.com/SportSelect.dbml ... EASON=1982). It sounds to me that you're getting some details from the USC 7-7 tie at Autzen in 1980 -- a vastly superior Duck team -- mixed up with the 1982 ND game. I remember a USC receiver being the beneficiary of a dubious back-of-the-endzone TD in that 1980 USC game, and the terrible missed opportunity of (I believe) Duck RB Reggie Brown fumbling into the endzone for a touchback.
Re: Notre Dame . . .
Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:34 pm
by AutzenMember
Greenblood wrote:AutzenMember wrote:Greenblood wrote:I was also there. It was indeed 1982; the Ducks didn't have a tie in 1981. The tie was a great achievement for the Ducks of that year. It was actually one of the better Gerry Faust coached Notre Dame teams, which were never very good.
I was there too. Final score 16-16. I used to have a picture of the scoreboard when it was 16-13 Oregon in the 4th quarter, but I can't find it.
Oregon played out of their head that day, and should have won. With today's replay abilities they would've...video showed on ND's only TD, that the receiver was actually out of the back of the end zone when he made the catch. Also, Oregon's RB fumbled when going airborne to cross the goal line and ND recovered in the end zone for a touchback.
The atmosphere at Autzen was like no other time I've been there...with ND retail carts all over the place selling Irish gear (even INSIDE the stadium!). Great memories of the game with my dad.
Actually that 1982 game ended up 13-13 (
http://www.goducks.com/SportSelect.dbml ... EASON=1982). It sounds to me that you're getting some details from the USC 7-7 tie at Autzen in 1980 -- a vastly superior Duck team -- mixed up with the 1982 ND game. I remember a USC receiver being the beneficiary of a dubious back-of-the-endzone TD in that 1980 USC game, and the terrible missed opportunity of (I believe) Duck RB Reggie Brown fumbling into the endzone for a touchback.
Correct on both...the picture I have shows 13-10 Oregon. And, I am mixing up the games. ND scored on a run, whereas the USC TD was the pass that was out of the end zone, and the fumble too. Oregon missed two FGs in the ND game that could've been the difference. Getting old is definitely affecting my memory!