Page 2 of 2
Re: QUACK! 2022 QB Tanner Bailey commits
Posted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:14 pm
by GoDucksTroll
StevensTechU wrote:Watch Zach Wilson's high school tape from his junior year. Probably similar arm talent, but accuracy and timing is on a totally different level. Bailey has some of those plays. Wilson had them over and over and over.
Wilson had some impressive tape, and I think he has a stronger arm. There are a lot of throws where it’s just him trying to fire it in while stepping into the throw, which is obviously an important facet of a QBs game. Off 3 minutes of each everyone would pick Wilson. With a blank slate I would pick Wilson, even without knowing his current success.
Bailey’s Hudl is much too long. 18 minutes for 10 games. Cut that to 10 minutes and with editing magic he can look like a different QB. I do feel like I know his game better than Wilson’s, and I can see why he’s rated like he is. Despite less than ideal size and athleticism, and without some crazy rocket arm, that’s still a 4-star QB for a reason. He’s a playmaker.
Other than the legit 5-stars, Quinn Ewers and Gunner Stockton, I think this is a weak QB class compared to years past. I like the kid Clemson got, Klubnik, but the other highly ranked guys I’ve seen are not all that impressive. Maybe I’m just being more critical. Bailey is as good of a dice roll as most of the mid to lower 4-stars. Any 2022 QBs catch your eye?
Re: QUACK! 2022 QB Tanner Bailey commits
Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:11 am
by StevensTechU
With so much of the country not playing football this fall, the highly rated players in the 2022 class are essentially just those who were overdeveloped as sophomores. Many great college QBs don't start until their junior or even senior seasons. There will likely be a lot of "late bloomers" who end up on lower profile school rosters because the big schools took the known commodities. That happens every year anyway, but will likely be especially big this year given the circumstances.
Re: QUACK! 2022 QB Tanner Bailey commits
Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:04 pm
by rsbgduck
StevensTechU wrote:With so much of the country not playing football this fall, the highly rated players in the 2022 class are essentially just those who were overdeveloped as sophomores. Many great college QBs don't start until their junior or even senior seasons. There will likely be a lot of "late bloomers" who end up on lower profile school rosters because the big schools took the known commodities. That happens every year anyway, but will likely be especially big this year given the circumstances.
Agree completely, I think in 2 yrs you will see more “D1” talent in the transfer portal from smaller FBS schools, the FCS and even 1-AA than ever before, at least doubling it. All for the reasons you gave. I’m not a big fan of dipping into the portal unless it’s a last option/emergency kinda situation. However I might have to make an exception if the number of missed D1 kids is what I think it will be.
Re: QUACK! 2022 QB Tanner Bailey commits
Posted: Sun May 16, 2021 10:01 pm
by StevensTechU
https://247sports.com/Article/Ty-Simpso ... ssion=true
Tanner Bailey participated in the Elite 11 in his region, which is summarized below. For those who don't want to click the link, he didn't get particularly high marks and wasn't considered one of the top 6 QBs at the event.
Personally, I'd be quick to tell you that performance in pads means a lot more than what you do in these camps. That said, you'd rather your guy look good than not.
I watched the tape on the recent uw commit, a big kid who can move out of San Diego. I can't say that I liked that he looked pretty darn good despite a weak offer sheet.