QUACK! 2022 QB Tanner Bailey commits

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

User avatar
greenyellow
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 39213
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:54 pm
Location: Eugene, OR

QUACK! 2022 QB Tanner Bailey commits

Post by greenyellow »

Coming off his recent visit to Eugene over the weekend, 4* 2022 QB Tanner Bailey out of AL has committed to the Ducks. He's rated the 9th-best pro-style QB in his class.
Image
User avatar
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 40568
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:28 pm
GM: Boston Celtics GM
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: QUACK! 2022 QB Tanner Bailey commits

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Whoa, I read his report after he visited and surprised he pulled the trigger so quickly. Good for him and the Ducks!

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
User avatar
DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit
Posts: 1044
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:07 pm

Re: QUACK! 2022 QB Tanner Bailey commits

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

When I read that his grandfather was in Bear Bryant's first recruiting class I thought to myself, "With that pedigree, if this guy gets an Alabama offer at the last minute, he's gone." Then I read his Dad went to Auburn. If they let his Dad go to Auburn then that family will let this kid go anywhere. LOL!
punizhr02
One Star Recruit
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:52 pm

Re: QUACK! 2022 QB Tanner Bailey commits

Post by punizhr02 »

I hate to be a downer, but I'm not going to be very excited until I see some beef being recruited on the DL. This is the one area that needs to be addressed.
User avatar
Phalanx
Senior
Posts: 4989
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:50 pm

Re: QUACK! 2022 QB Tanner Bailey commits

Post by Phalanx »

Gracen Halton is 6'3'', 270. Percy Lewis is 6'8'', 360. Not beefy enough for you?


Quarterback is definitely the #1 problem for the Ducks going into next year. I'm not sure someone rejected by Auburn is the answer, but at least it's the right question.
User avatar
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 40568
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:28 pm
GM: Boston Celtics GM
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: QUACK! 2022 QB Tanner Bailey commits

Post by UOducksTK1 »

punizhr02 wrote:I hate to be a downer, but I'm not going to be very excited until I see some beef being recruited on the DL. This is the one area that needs to be addressed.
Our D-Line was pretty poor this last year, but as phalanx said, I don’t think beef is the problem.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
User avatar
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore
Posts: 1742
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:34 am

Re: QUACK! 2022 QB Tanner Bailey commits

Post by GoDucksTroll »

Great pickup. As I wrote the other day he was my favorite of the QBs remaining on the board. Polished prospect, it’s a shame we can’t throw him into the QB competition already. Hopefully he’s a good peer recruiter, it’s becoming a key part of recruiting to have a QB secured who can get some other prospects on board.
User avatar
UofDuck
Senior
Posts: 3943
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:51 pm

Re: QUACK! 2022 QB Tanner Bailey commits

Post by UofDuck »

DuckMastaFunk wrote:When I read that his grandfather was in Bear Bryant's first recruiting class I thought to myself, "With that pedigree, if this guy gets an Alabama offer at the last minute, he's gone." Then I read his Dad went to Auburn. If they let his Dad go to Auburn then that family will let this kid go anywhere. LOL!
Didnt Bear get his start at TXAM?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
User avatar
Duck07
All-American
Posts: 17123
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:36 am
Location: Parts Unknown

Re: QUACK! 2022 QB Tanner Bailey commits

Post by Duck07 »

UofDuck wrote:
DuckMastaFunk wrote:When I read that his grandfather was in Bear Bryant's first recruiting class I thought to myself, "With that pedigree, if this guy gets an Alabama offer at the last minute, he's gone." Then I read his Dad went to Auburn. If they let his Dad go to Auburn then that family will let this kid go anywhere. LOL!
Didnt Bear get his start at TXAM?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Junction Boys is a movie about taking the AM team into the heat and doing dumb training that would make Taggart look proud.
Image
buckmarkduck
All-American
Posts: 11006
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:22 am
Contact:

Re: QUACK! 2022 QB Tanner Bailey commits

Post by buckmarkduck »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
punizhr02 wrote:I hate to be a downer, but I'm not going to be very excited until I see some beef being recruited on the DL. This is the one area that needs to be addressed.
Our D-Line was pretty poor this last year, but as phalanx said, I don’t think beef is the problem.

I didn’t feel like our DL was that bad. The LB and safeties were the issue. I really think our DL will be our strongest unit on D next season. We have some studs that were Fr and So last year, and who should have played more than guys like Scott.
duckfan96
Senior
Posts: 2703
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:58 pm

Re: QUACK! 2022 QB Tanner Bailey commits

Post by duckfan96 »

I agree...was it Williams who played last year? Thought he looked good
buckmarkduck
All-American
Posts: 11006
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:22 am
Contact:

Re: QUACK! 2022 QB Tanner Bailey commits

Post by buckmarkduck »

Williams and Dorlus played really well, when Mario decided to play them instead of being to loyal to the upperclassman. I really like the rotation going into next season on the DL.
User avatar
StevensTechU
All Pac-12
Posts: 7116
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:25 am
Location: Hoboken, NJ

Re: QUACK! 2022 QB Tanner Bailey commits

Post by StevensTechU »

Finally watched his highlights. I think I would compare to Cale Millen. Can make a variety of throws. Very mobile. Doesn't wow you with arm strength or anticipation but seems generally solid. Wish he led his receivers on more throws and seems to identify open receivers a tad late in some plays. I do like how he seems willing to take a hit in order to make a throw.

If Thompson is what we all want him to be, you need a guy in the following class who is willing to stay the course and be ready to be the guy his 3rd or 4th year. Hopefully that's Bailey.
User avatar
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore
Posts: 1742
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:34 am

Re: QUACK! 2022 QB Tanner Bailey commits

Post by GoDucksTroll »

StevensTechU wrote:Finally watched his highlights. I think I would compare to Cale Millen. Can make a variety of throws. Very mobile. Doesn't wow you with arm strength or anticipation but seems generally solid. Wish he led his receivers on more throws and seems to identify open receivers a tad late in some plays. I do like how he seems willing to take a hit in order to make a throw.

If Thompson is what we all want him to be, you need a guy in the following class who is willing to stay the course and be ready to be the guy his 3rd or 4th year. Hopefully that's Bailey.
It’s interesting how we can watch the same video and get different opinions. I did notice the same about Bailey willingness to stick it out in the pocket to make the throw, but I disagree on the other points. I would say his anticipation, touch, and overall arm talent are his strengths. It won’t be the strongest arm on the roster, but his accuracy, touch, and variety of throws show someone with advanced skills for the position.

What really impressed me is his ability to scatter the ball to all parts of the field and make the appropriate, and catchable, type of throw. The timing, placement, and anticipation are all top notch. Bailey makes it easy for the receiver to make the play. He’s also really good at throwing off platform, and his team uses roll-outs to great success. You can tell this is a kid who’s gotten a lot of work in, because he’s so comfortable doing it and isn’t relying on athleticism to force the issue.

The athleticism, or at least speed, that one I have to wonder on. There is no way he’s as athletic as Cale Millen. Not even close. Millen could really move and was an explosive athlete, they wouldn’t have let him cover kicks this season just because they were short on bodies unless he could. Millen’s SPARQ testing numbers were great, he had a solid 40 time, shuttle, and a 38 inch vertical. Bailey is a young looking kid so hopefully his testing numbers from his sophomore year are horribly outdated, but he had the 40 and shuttle time of an offensive guard. That doesn’t mean Bailey is a bad athlete, it’s not all 40 times - he can clearly move with the football and is a very good baseball prospect so we know he’s a coordinated kid.

The thing I’m most excited about with him is his ability to execute a Joe Moorhead type of offense. He stays calm and finds the play. I’m of the belief that you don’t need to be anything more than an average runner as a QB to succeed in this offense, but you need to be able to make a variety of throws and make the correct read or decision.

I’ll also add that Bailey does have a pretty good track record of success. Missed five games in the middle of this season with a broken collarbone and came back to lead his team to the state title game. Second team all-state QB regardless of division from MaxPreps.
User avatar
StevensTechU
All Pac-12
Posts: 7116
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:25 am
Location: Hoboken, NJ

Re: QUACK! 2022 QB Tanner Bailey commits

Post by StevensTechU »

Watch Zach Wilson's high school tape from his junior year. Probably similar arm talent, but accuracy and timing is on a totally different level. Bailey has some of those plays. Wilson had them over and over and over.
Post Reply