A Little Inside Info

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Re: A Little Inside Info

Post by Boom »

So why would Tubby come to Oregon? The guy is probably the biggest name out there. There will be several programs going after him including Arizona. Yes we have a new stadium coming, but is Oregon Basketball that good of a job? for someone like Tubby to consider? I don't think so, but that's just my opinion.

The worse thing that could happen for our program right now is to fire Ernie Kent and miss out on a good coaching hire. There is no guarantee that we can do better than Ernie Kent.
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

Boom wrote:So why would Tubby come to Oregon? The guy is probably the biggest name out there. There will be several programs going after him including Arizona. Yes we have a new stadium coming, but is Oregon Basketball that good of a job? for someone like Tubby to consider? I don't think so, but that's just my opinion.

The worse thing that could happen for our program right now is to fire Ernie Kent and miss out on a good coaching hire. There is no guarantee that we can do better than Ernie Kent.
I was just making a point because someone said that firing EK for Tubby was a lateral move. That is about as far from a lateral move as i could imagine. I agree that it would be a hard sell; however if Oregon thinks for some reason that Tubby is interested in the job, then it is a no brainer.
Duckxing
Two Star Recruit

Post by Duckxing »

Boom wrote:So why would Tubby come to Oregon? The guy is probably the biggest name out there. There will be several programs going after him including Arizona. Yes we have a new stadium coming, but is Oregon Basketball that good of a job? for someone like Tubby to consider? I don't think so, but that's just my opinion.

Any coach that comes to Oregon is going to have a tie to Nike. Tubby is a Nike guy. Sadly, shoe companies run basketball at all levels.
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

Tubby Smith went to Minnesota didn't he? How is that better than coming to Oregon? We got one of the best baseball coaches to come to Oregon. Phil Knight has a lot of power. A new arena means a lot. I don't think it's so unreasonable to think that Tubby would want to coach at Oregon. Killkenny and co are smart. They aren't just going to fire Kent and hire some no name coach. It's always a risk with any new coach, but sometimes you have to take that chance. IMO, Kent has done all he can do at Oregon and I cannot stand his coaching style.
bellsduck
Senior
GM: Utah Jazz

Post by bellsduck »

I don't see the big deal with Tubby Smith. People give him credit for a couple years at Kentucky in which he used Rick Pitino players. Take those away and he has 2 Elite Eights in the next 8 years. Is that any better than what Kent has done the last few years? Also take into consideration that he was recruiting players to KENTUCKY. The winningest program in NCAA history, popularized Midnight Madness, plays at Rupp Arena - yes that Kentucky.
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

bellsduck wrote:I don't see the big deal with Tubby Smith. People give him credit for a couple years at Kentucky in which he used Rick Pitino players. Take those away and he has 2 Elite Eights in the next 8 years. Is that any better than what Kent has done the last few years? Also take into consideration that he was recruiting players to KENTUCKY. The winningest program in NCAA history, popularized Midnight Madness, plays at Rupp Arena - yes that Kentucky.

Look at his body of work at Kentucky including his coference record. It's much better than Kent's. Like I said, he won at least 22 games every year there. Went to the tournament every year, etc. Sorry, but you cannot say that what he has done wasn't impressive. Other than the elite 8's, Kent has done very little for Oregon. By the way, since 2002, Oregon has had 1 good season under Kent.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

bellsduck wrote:I don't see the big deal with Tubby Smith. People give him credit for a couple years at Kentucky in which he used Rick Pitino players. Take those away and he has 2 Elite Eights in the next 8 years. Is that any better than what Kent has done the last few years? Also take into consideration that he was recruiting players to KENTUCKY. The winningest program in NCAA history, popularized Midnight Madness, plays at Rupp Arena - yes that Kentucky.
That was exactly my point, good post. If you really break it down, with his own players he's never reached any farther than Kent. Like I said, he's had more overall wins, conference wins & tourny appearences but that can be credited to being at KENTUCKY. You are untimately measured by your tournament success. What are his best tourny appearences? Two Elite 8s.....JUST LIKE KENT.

I still think he's a much better coach than Kent but I'm not in love with the guy. I think we could do better.
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:
That was exactly my point, good post. If you really break it down, with his own players he's never reached any farther than Kent. Like I said, he's had more overall wins, conference wins & tourny appearences but that can be credited to being at KENTUCKY. You are untimately measured by your tournament success. What are his best tourny appearences? Two Elite 8s.....JUST LIKE KENT.

I still think he's a much better coach than Kent but I'm not in love with the guy. I think we could do better.

Ok, but they still did go to the tournament every year when he was at Kentucky even when recruiting classes were considered subpar for Kentucky standards. Kent has also had 8 seasons with a worse record than Smiths worst season at Kentucky. WHen you say we can do better, I would like to hear who you have in mind. Coaching at Virginia Commonwealth is a lot different than coaching at Kentucky or even Oregon.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Well I personally would like a young, up & coming coach, not a coach on the tail end of his career. That's what I mean by doing better. All great coaches were at one time a young guy having success at a small school. I would like to find one like that.

I don't think we will though. The AD will want a guy that is proven & will have success right away so the fans will get behind him going into the first year of the new arena. A guy like Tubby or Few.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Speaking of young coaches, Portland state is playing pretty good right now. Ken Bone is a guy I would like the Ducks to consider, for sure.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

i suppose tubby's coaching doesn't factor in at all in those years he was coaching pitino's players, right? i mean, isn't that one of the biggest knock's against ernie, that's he a poor teacher and in-game coach?
TTownDuck
One Star Recruit

Post by TTownDuck »

Tubby Smith would also be just shy of 60 years old, if he were to replace Kent this offseason.

I would take Tubby over EK, but there are plenty of other quality candidates out there. Mark Turgeon would probably be my top pick, but I don't know if he would come back. Hopefully his beef was with Bill Moos, and not the administration as a whole. Sean Miller would be a great get, but there's absolutely no ties to the man, so this is more wishful thinking than anything.

Ken Bone can flat coach the game, and he knows how to use a 5-6 point guard :lol:

Brad Stevens of Butler took over from Thad Matta (like Miller), and has raised the stakes even more. He plays an Oregon brand of basketball, only a more successful and better coached version.

Stew Morrill isn't a young guy (just a year younger than Tubby) but what he's done at Utah State has been nothing short of phenomenal.

And then there's Mark Few. I'm not the biggest Few fan, but I do think he would be an upgrade over Kent. Recruiting would be solid, and I don't think NCAA Tournament success translates from one school to another, whether it's positive or negative. Yeah, he's struggled to get out of the 2nd round at Gonzaga, but that doesn't mean squat if he were to take over here.
dudefromor
Two Star Recruit

Post by dudefromor »

Check this guy out.

Joe Dooley

My friend is a die hard KU fan. He says this guy is solid and due a bigtime HC job. Not to mention his recruiting ability.
Last edited by dudefromor on Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Jeremiah Masoli took home the game's offensive most outstanding player award and then broke into song. Kidding."
http://www.goducks.com/ViewArticle.dbml ... ID=3640641
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

For all the Mark Few haters, how about Gonzaga now?
VinnyKnuckles
Four Star Recruit

Post by VinnyKnuckles »

duckgrad99 wrote:For all the Mark Few haters, how about Gonzaga now?
Let me preface this by stating I am not a Mark Few hater.

That being said, is Gonzaga in the Elite 8 yet? There isn't really much ammunition to use against Mark Few haters until then.