A Little Inside Info

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

KingofDucks
Four Star Recruit

A Little Inside Info

Post by KingofDucks »

Mark Few is not a candidate. Phil Knight does not think he can coach a big school.

Tubby Smith is someone they are looking into.

Things don't look good for Ernie.

This is all just talk from a credible source. This does not mean we will get Tubby, Ernie will be fired, or Few won't be hired. But this is the 411 as of now.
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Re: A Little Inside Info

Post by duckgrad99 »

Interesting stuff, I appreciate the info. I would be completely supportive of Tubby Smith. He can recruit, and his teams have never had a losing season.
briarduck
Senior

Post by briarduck »

Thanks KoD your info is good and appreciated!

Tubby sounds like a decent hire but as you say its all talk right now, so we will see how things shake out!

GO DUCKS!!
GO DUCKS!! WTD!
alabamaduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by alabamaduck »

The best thing about hiring Tubby is we would definately play lock-down defense!
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

alabamaduck wrote:The best thing about hiring Tubby is we would definately play lock-down defense!

+1

Plus we probably wouldn't miss a step in recruiting.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Man I would love Tubby. An upgrade in every way. Recruiting, coaching, & experience.
roth
One Star Recruit

Post by roth »

Tubby Smith is the EXACT person that would be awesome for oregon. Big time recruiter and he is known for digging teams out of holes. Look at what he did with Minnesota, they had NO ONE and were a bubble team for almost every week during this season. If we get Tubby Smith I might cry tears of joy
gofightingducks
All Pac-12

Post by gofightingducks »

Tubby Smith would be a huge get for Oregon both in recruiting and in coaching, if the Ducks got him I could see an immediate impact and more consistency in the team making the tournament and being a conference contender. Mark Few wouldn't be too bad either he has been at Gonzaga for 10 years and has 10 tournament appearances. Kent has been instrumental in the program getting to where it is at but it is time to get the program to the next level and Tubby would be just the coach to do that!
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Not sure how I would feel about hiring Few, but if he was interested, Tubby Smith Image could definitely kick things up a notch!

While Few may look at Oregon as a "destination" school, much as Ernie did, I am not convinced Tubby would be content to settle in for the long hall.

We shall see.

Thanks for the heads up Image, KOD Image!
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

quackattack
Three Star Recruit

Post by quackattack »

just my 2 cents even though none of this may even matter:

i don't know if i agree with Tubby being a great recruiter. he's a great coach during the games, i'll give him that. but the whole Tubby/Kentucky thing involved Tubby not caring enough about recruiting and underachieving in that aspect (and there were other factors as well). my friend is a hardcore UK fan and he's said that from a coaching standpoint, tubby is great, but i'm sure he'd prob laugh at the statements made about tubby as a "great" recruiter.
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

quackattack wrote:just my 2 cents even though none of this may even matter:

i don't know if i agree with Tubby being a great recruiter. he's a great coach during the games, i'll give him that. but the whole Tubby/Kentucky thing involved Tubby not caring enough about recruiting and underachieving in that aspect (and there were other factors as well). my friend is a hardcore UK fan and he's said that from a coaching standpoint, tubby is great, but i'm sure he'd prob laugh at the statements made about tubby as a "great" recruiter.

Either way, I would say his record at Kentrucky speaks for itself.
alabamaduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by alabamaduck »

quackattack wrote:just my 2 cents even though none of this may even matter:

I agree...my wife's a UK fan, so I've become a bit of one by association. Tubbys a hell of a coach and gets maximum effort out of his kids, but his downfall at UK was that his recruiting was sub-par by UK standards. He's still a solid recruiter, and brought in kids like Tashaun Prince, Rajon Rondo, Jodie Meeks and Chuck Hayes, but those kids should be lining up to play for the 'Cats so I don't think that makes him a good recruiter.

Of course there's a different level of expectation at Kentucky than there is at Oregon, so recruiting for the Ducks I don't think any of us would have any complaints. In fact I think he'd do as well or better than EK because he's got big-time name recognition nationally. Pair that with a new arena and our Nike connnections and I think you've got a recipe for success.

Watching UK games for the last 10 years or so I've become a big Tubby fan and to be honest I can't think of anyone I'd like to see more as our new coach!

Let's go MB, make your first hire one to remember!
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

Sub par recruiting? I'm sure people would disagree with that when you look at the 2004 class.
Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

How sure are we that Tubby would even want to coach at Oregon? I would think that there are better jobs out there for him. I'm sure Arizona would show some interest in him if he's even available.

BTW Looks like the guy recruits very well

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiti ... olId%3d135

http://minnesota.scout.com/a.z?s=176&p= ... =4&yr=2009
quackattack
Three Star Recruit

Post by quackattack »

i would compare tubby's recruiting to ernie's...able to land a good class every few years or so (i saw 2 from UK and 1 from Minn from 2002 to 2009 years)