Kent's Future At Oregon Will Be Known Soon

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

cordy02c
Senior

Re: Kent's Future At Oregon Will Be Known Soon

Post by cordy02c »

wilson said today that if ernie is fired he will not come to oregon. that;s bad news
Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

cordy02c wrote:wilson said today that if ernie is fired he will not come to oregon. that;s bad news
quoted in this article http://www.registerguard.com/csp/cms/si ... /story.csp
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

cordy02c wrote:wilson said today that if ernie is fired he will not come to oregon. that;s bad news

I think that's a little ridiculous, but that's his decision. Either way, I still want Kent gone. Enough is enough.
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

I don't think that's ridiculous at all
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

duckgrad99 wrote:

I think that's a little ridiculous, but that's his decision. Either way, I still want Kent gone. Enough is enough.
Why?
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

Tray Dub wrote:
duckgrad99 wrote:

Why?

Because I think the team would be better with another coach. Personal relationships are important, but so is winning and helping players prepare to play at the next level. Is getting along with Kent really more important than having the program move in a positive direction? I don't think so. Plus, I would hope that someone like Wilson has more reasons than Kent to want to play for Oregon and live in Eugene. If the coach is really that much of an issue,maybe Wilson should have gone to Michigan State and played for Izzo. It's nice that Kent can sell these guys on graduation rates and maybe religion, but Wilson is kidding himself if he thinks playing for Kent will make him a better basketball player than another coach would. It might take 4 years for a player to develop under Kent, and 1 or 2 to develop at a top school. Just look at several of our players in the past, especially big men.
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

I also want to add that no 1 player is bigger than a program. If we lose Wilson because of a new coach, so be it. The football team probably lost several recruits because of the coaching changes. You cannot be afraid to make moves, especially on the basis of 1 or 2 recruits. Wilson also probably doesn't know the environment that the current players have played in the last few years. They might not say it, but some of the current players might actually welcome a coaching change.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

To not fire a coach because of one kid is absolutely stupid. The kids never played a second of D-1 ball & we're willing to let our program suffer just to keep him? I sure hope not.

I'm sure Wilson will be a tremendous player but with Kent here how much will he really do for us? Have one good year like all our top recruits? Be really good & take off after only one year? Bring in a great coach & he does 10x more for your program than any player could do.
blackjack17
Three Star Recruit

Post by blackjack17 »

Fire Kent if you think you can do better, but right now i'm not so sure there is much out there that is better than what we have right now. Give him one more year, if it fails you have quality recruits and a brand new stadium to attract somebody. Next year i'd look at Ken McDonald (WKU), who if he has a good year next year will definitely be looking to move to a bigger school.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

blackjack17 wrote:Fire Kent if you think you can do better, but right now i'm not so sure there is much out there that is better than what we have right now. Give him one more year, if it fails you have quality recruits and a brand new stadium to attract somebody. Next year i'd look at Ken McDonald (WKU), who if he has a good year next year will definitely be looking to move to a bigger school.
He's also 38 and has a 100% graduation rate. I like McDonald a lot. And I 100% agree with this post. One more chance for Kent
Autzenoise
Five Star Recruit

Post by Autzenoise »

You guys that want to keep Kent, use these questions as a barameter (sp).

When was the last time that Ernie was recruited by another school? When was the last time we heard that he was a candidate for any open position?

Isn't this a true, unquestionable way to see his value?
"Canzano is to sports, what Jerry Springer is to news…"
quackattack
Three Star Recruit

Post by quackattack »

you also have to consider that the guy you bring in can recruit. we know Few has done that but some of these other names that have been mentioned i don't know, it'd be a gamble. i'm on board with get Few if he wants to come, if not keep Kent and ALL our players. thats just how i feel, i understand others have different opinions
Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

I have no problem letting Kent go, but you better be Damn sure that you can replace him with someone better and I think some of you are delusional on the type of coach we can get. More than likely we would have to take a chance on a small school coach and at this point in time I think that's risky. I think one more year would be ideal.
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

Yes, people are delusional in who Oregon can get to come here. Few is likely as big a name as they will be able to get, and I would be happy with that. I'm content either way. I can handle Kent another year, or I wouldn't mind Few. Like another Pac-10 coach said, Kent does his best work with his back against the wall, so I wouldn't be shocked to see them have a decent year next year. Especially with the year of experience under the freshmen's belts.
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

Autzenoise wrote:You guys that want to keep Kent, use these questions as a barameter (sp).

When was the last time that Ernie was recruited by another school? When was the last time we heard that he was a candidate for any open position?

Isn't this a true, unquestionable way to see his value?

I think that's an excellent point.