A Little Inside Info

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

woundedknees
All-American

Re: A Little Inside Info

Post by woundedknees »

My older brother is much better at coaching bigs, and making in-game adjustments than EK (He has coached HS, assisted at a small college, and was an HC at the semi-pro level), but I wouldn't want him for the Oregon coach HC... I think the Ducks can do much better.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

well we can take the VCU coach off the list
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4022289
DmoneyDuck
Freshman

Post by DmoneyDuck »

damn, he would have been a great hire
echo31
Five Star Recruit

Post by echo31 »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:I'm willing to let a couple unproven players leave if it keeps his program from falling deeper into mediocrety & brings in a coach who will revitalize it & take it new heights.
That's exactly the truth. None of the players on this year's team proved themselves to be the type of players we couldn't afford to lose. If we lost all of our current highly ranked recruits because of a coaching change, what's the worst that could happen, only winning 1 or 2 conference games? THAT'S WHAT WE DID WITH THOSE PLAYERS.

Besides, can someone please provide a link where it is said that if Ernie is let go, we would lose ANY of the players/recruits? At this point it is all conjecture.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

echo31 wrote:
dthomas=ddixon wrote:I'm willing to let a couple unproven players leave if it keeps his program from falling deeper into mediocrety & brings in a coach who will revitalize it & take it new heights.
That's exactly the truth. None of the players on this year's team proved themselves to be the type of players we couldn't afford to lose. If we lost all of our current highly ranked recruits because of a coaching change, what's the worst that could happen, only winning 1 or 2 conference games? THAT'S WHAT WE DID WITH THOSE PLAYERS.

Besides, can someone please provide a link where it is said that if Ernie is let go, we would lose ANY of the players/recruits? At this point it is all conjecture.
I don't have the link, but Im pretty sure Jamil Wilson has said on the record that he would go somewhere else if Kent was fired. Could be wrong tho.

I think players leaving should be a consideration but not the determining factor.
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

echo31 wrote:

So far, just Jamil Wilson said he wouldn't come to Oregon if Kent is gone. Anyone out there hearing anything else on Kent?
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

I saw that Singler said he would like to meet with any new coach but if he is someone he likes, he would stick with UO. I haven't seen or heard anything about Jacob.

Also rumor is that all the Chicago kids said if it's Few, they would be on board. That's hear say so who really knows.
echo31
Five Star Recruit

Post by echo31 »

duckgrad99 wrote:So far, just Jamil Wilson said he wouldn't come to Oregon if Kent is gone. Anyone out there hearing anything else on Kent?
So we'll lose one recruit that hasn't played any college basketball yet. Or we keep Ernie and don't lose that recruit and maybe he never pans out. I'll take a better coach if there's one available. If not, then let's stick with Ernie.
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

echo31 wrote:
duckgrad99 wrote:So far, just Jamil Wilson said he wouldn't come to Oregon if Kent is gone. Anyone out there hearing anything else on Kent?
So we'll lose one recruit that hasn't played any college basketball yet. Or we keep Ernie and don't lose that recruit and maybe he never pans out. I'll take a better coach if there's one available. If not, then let's stick with Ernie.

Yeah, the tough part here is that I don't think any of us know which coaches are available or which coaches would be interested in Oregon. So far, all of this has been kept pretty private.
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

If you guys think losing recruits/players without Kent would be bad, imagine if Calipari goes to Kentucky. Memphis had the #1 recruiting class for 2009. I would be totally fine with losing just Wilson if it meant Oregon having a better coach.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

duckgrad99 wrote:If you guys think losing recruits/players without Kent would be bad, imagine if Calipari goes to Kentucky. Memphis had the #1 recruiting class for 2009. I would be totally fine with losing just Wilson if it meant Oregon having a better coach.
Key word.

I'm afraid we might sign a new coach that isn't much of an upgrade. I say only fire Kent this season if we can find a substantial upgrade.

Otherwise, one more year.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
duckgrad99 wrote:If you guys think losing recruits/players without Kent would be bad, imagine if Calipari goes to Kentucky. Memphis had the #1 recruiting class for 2009. I would be totally fine with losing just Wilson if it meant Oregon having a better coach.
Key word.

I'm afraid we might sign a new coach that isn't much of an upgrade. I say only fire Kent this season if we can find a substantial upgrade.

Otherwise, one more year.
unless it is someone with Oregon ties "Mark Few" then I just don't think any big time college coach would want to coach at Oregon.

And its debatable that Mark Few is even in that category.
KingofDucks
Four Star Recruit

Post by KingofDucks »

Some new info.

Looks like Dunlop will be the new assistant head coach. Negotiations haven't gone well with Few, albeit Knight not wanting him in the first place, nor have they even gotten off the ground with Tubby. Kent appears to be safe due to lack of suitable candidates in the Athletic Departments' eyes.
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

KingofDucks wrote:Some new info.

Looks like Dunlop will be the new assistant head coach. Negotiations haven't gone well with Few, albeit Knight not wanting him in the first place, nor have they even gotten off the ground with Tubby. Kent appears to be safe due to lack of suitable candidates in the Athletic Departments' eyes.

Yuck. And what happens if this team underachieves again next season? Few and others might not be available. Dunlop might be a good assistant, but Ernie still runs the show. I really don't see the love affair with Kent. This guy seems to get 9 lives.
cordy02c
Senior

Post by cordy02c »

supposedly when he was coach at d 2 his players would go an hour without touching the ball because they would spend so much time on fundamentals and footwork. Hopefully ernie will allow him to do this because fundamentals and footwork is exactly what this team needs