Mops
Four Star Recruit

Kent, Staff, and Fan Base Deserve An Apology

Post by Mops »

duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Re: Kent, Staff, and Fan Base Deserve An Apology

Post by duckgrad99 »

Good write up Mops. I don't know if anyone saw this, but Oregon had offered Few the job but he declined. It's over at ducksportsnews.
desertfan
Three Star Recruit

Post by desertfan »

I knew the Dunlap deal seemed strange and now we know why, because it was a backup plan...
briarduck
Senior

Post by briarduck »

Nice write up mops but I disagree...

This is a business and you don't worry about hurting someones feelings you care about performance! Letting Kent go in the hopes of getting someone better (or a lateral move as some have said) would have been a riskier move and not necessary. After this past season EK knew he was in trouble and would have expected the school to look around at the very least...now its time for EK to thank his lucky stars and prove everyone wrong and turn this ship around! And if we are lucky he will take full advantage of Dunlap and reap the rewards of this great forced hire!

Its show me time EK!

GO DUCKS!!
GO DUCKS!! WTD!
duckduckgoose
Five Star Recruit

Post by duckduckgoose »

duckgrad99 wrote:Good write up Mops. I don't know if anyone saw this, but Oregon had offered Few the job but he declined. It's over at ducksportsnews.
So we offered a Oregon grad the chance to return to his alma mater, be close to his aging parents, who is presently stuck out in the recruiting mecca of eastern washington. Is anyone now convinced that Oregon is not NOW a great coaching destination? I think it can be in the future, but its not there now.
KeenanHowry15
Three Star Recruit

Post by KeenanHowry15 »

WHAAT did you see the defense rankings?

We were 2nd for 2 consecutive years for 05 and 06, but then we slipped to 6th in 07 and 7th in 08, i think our defense needs to improve if we want to be a national title contender, imagine how good we would be if our D was as good as our offense,perhaps a new defensive coordinator is in order?
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

KeenanHowry15 wrote:WHAAT did you see the defense rankings?

We were 2nd for 2 consecutive years for 05 and 06, but then we slipped to 6th in 07 and 7th in 08, i think our defense needs to improve if we want to be a national title contender, imagine how good we would be if our D was as good as our offense,perhaps a new defensive coordinator is in order?
Wrong thread?
slammer
Two Star Recruit

Post by slammer »

b.s!! he owes us a better season! kudo's to kilkenney to atleast try and get the best coach available.
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

duckduckgoose wrote:
duckgrad99 wrote:Good write up Mops. I don't know if anyone saw this, but Oregon had offered Few the job but he declined. It's over at ducksportsnews.
So we offered a Oregon grad the chance to return to his alma mater, be close to his aging parents, who is presently stuck out in the recruiting mecca of eastern washington. Is anyone now convinced that Oregon is not NOW a great coaching destination? I think it can be in the future, but its not there now.

I agree, what does that say about our program?
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

duckgrad99 wrote:
duckduckgoose wrote:

I agree, what does that say about our program?
It says the donors didn't put their money where there mouth was. It's pretty simple, if the big-time money was there we would've gotten a big time coach. It wasn't though. They didn't want a change that bad.
TTownDuck
One Star Recruit

Post by TTownDuck »

Nobody owes Ernie Kent a thing, let alone an apology.

He's an incredibly well-paid coach who turned in one of the nation's worst coaching jobs, and he turned in one of the worst seasons in the history of Oregon basketball.

"Uh, sorry, coach, that it took us three weeks to decide to retain you, but that was one epic **** you dumped on us."

He's lucky he has a job. If he was in the ACC or SEC he would have been fired immediately.

No offense, but that's just laughable.
Elduderino
Senior

Post by Elduderino »

Well put Ttown, this is simply a case of not having the money or else Ernie is gone. Why Ernie is deserving of an apology, when it is his actions, or failures, that put him in this position, is beyond me. The man makes a ton of money to produce a competitive product on the court; he failed to do so and the appropriate considerations and steps were made and taken.
AKA: CAgrown
slammer
Two Star Recruit

Post by slammer »

we need to apologize to him and his 8 wins???? this thread is sooooooooo rediculous! + 1 t-town
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

slammer wrote:we need to apologize to him and his 8 wins???? this thread is sooooooooo rediculous! + 1 t-town
let me be the first to apologize.

Sorry coach Kent. I didnt mean to question you after you mailed in the second worst season for Oregon basketball in over 50 years. We should have been a little more respectful. After all, who really cares if you win or lose, right? It is how you play the game that sells tickets and keeps the fans happy. A reminder to you jokers that think Kent deserves an apology. This is not the CYO league. The University pays Kent a 7 figure salary to get results.

BTW. PK is brilliant. The forced hiring of Dunlap was a well thought out move. If it took 3 weeks to come up with that plan, then so be it. I am glad that someone realized EK's shortcomings as a coach, because EK was not going to figure it out on his own obviously. If EK can check his ego at the door, this move could be absolutely awesome for this team. I guess we will see. EK's future depends on his ability to be able to work with Dunlap. And Dunlap probably isn't going to be easy. This is a guy who is not quiet and will pull the trigger and push EK. Just a flat out excellent hire IMO.
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

Am I the only one that is surprised that Few wasn't interested in the Oregon or Arizona jobs? I thought Oregon would be the perfect fit for him. What else can he accomplish at Gonzaga? It's not much of a challenge there when you blow everyone out year after year. The pac-10 is a huge step up from the WCC. I'm sure Few and his family are happy where they are, but it kind of has me troubled about the direction of our program.