Page 1 of 2

Notre Dame . . .

Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:37 am
by Greenblood
I will confess to despising the Notre Dame Fighting Irish as a college football entity. That said, they surprised me yesterday with what certainly looks like a very impressive victory at MSU. And looking at the rest of their schedule -- including Michigan (this week), Stanford, BYU, at Oklahoma, at USC -- and throwing in the whole "tradition" thing that can unfortunately influence voters, I think it could be very difficult for teams currently ahead of them in the rankings to stay ahead of them if ND keeps winning, even if those other teams keep winning. But there is also opportunity for the Pac-12 to really help itself if Stanford and SC can beat them.

Re: Notre Dame . . .

Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:03 am
by karlhungis
To be honest, I am surprised they haven't moved into the top 5 by simply not losing yet.

Re: Notre Dame . . .

Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:23 am
by Phenom
I don't think MSU is that good at all. All they've got is Bell. I do agree that if Notre Dame runs the table (they won't) they'll be a player for that NC and deservedly so.

Re: Notre Dame . . .

Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:12 pm
by gofightingducks
They are 3-0, you might as well give them the national championship trophy now!

Re: Notre Dame . . .

Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:58 pm
by duck55
gofightingducks wrote:They are 3-0, you might as well give them the national championship trophy now!
:lol:

Re: Notre Dame . . .

Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:32 am
by Bud Lee
I really dislike Notre Dame, I think they are completely overrated every year, though I have to say they look legit this year.

If they end up beating, Michigan, Stanford, Oklahoma, and USC this year they deserve a top 5 spot.

With that said, I see them finishing with 2 loses and being ranked somewhere in the top 10, which is far assuming those two loses will to ranked teams.

Re: Notre Dame . . .

Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:43 am
by EncinitasDuck
Bud Lee wrote:I really dislike Notre Dame, I think they are completely overrated every year, though I have to say they look legit this year.

If they end up beating, Michigan, Stanford, Oklahoma, and USC this year they deserve a top 5 spot.

With that said, I see them finishing with 2 loses and being ranked somewhere in the top 10, which is far assuming those two loses will to ranked teams.
Which means they'll go to a BCS Bowl and get crushed once again. I don't mind if they go to a BCS Bowl as long as they continue to get embarrassed.

Re: Notre Dame . . .

Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:20 am
by SteelTown43
I mind because every time they go to a BCS bowl they keep a more deserving team out. That and the amount of money ND gets for a BCS appearance just helps to allow this whole "independent" BS thing to continue...

Re: Notre Dame . . .

Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:33 pm
by Bud Lee
EncinitasDuck wrote:
Bud Lee wrote:I really dislike Notre Dame, I think they are completely overrated every year, though I have to say they look legit this year.

If they end up beating, Michigan, Stanford, Oklahoma, and USC this year they deserve a top 5 spot.

With that said, I see them finishing with 2 loses and being ranked somewhere in the top 10, which is far assuming those two loses will to ranked teams.
Which means they'll go to a BCS Bowl and get crushed once again. I don't mind if they go to a BCS Bowl as long as they continue to get embarrassed.

:lol: mayhap, but if they can beat the big boys on their schedule they can hang with a lot of teams that may be paired up with them in a BCS game.

Re: Notre Dame . . .

Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:01 pm
by EncinitasDuck
Bud Lee wrote:
EncinitasDuck wrote:
Bud Lee wrote:I really dislike Notre Dame, I think they are completely overrated every year, though I have to say they look legit this year.

If they end up beating, Michigan, Stanford, Oklahoma, and USC this year they deserve a top 5 spot.

With that said, I see them finishing with 2 loses and being ranked somewhere in the top 10, which is far assuming those two loses will to ranked teams.
Which means they'll go to a BCS Bowl and get crushed once again. I don't mind if they go to a BCS Bowl as long as they continue to get embarrassed.

:lol: mayhap, but if they can beat the big boys on their schedule they can hang with a lot of teams that may be paired up with them in a BCS game.
They may beat Michigan at home but I don't see them beating SC or OU on the road. If Stanford plays anywhere near how they played against SC it won't be close. I'd put money on them losing all 4.

If they can somehow manage to split these games 2-2 and win all their others then I agree they would deserve a BCS Bowl. But I would still hope they'd get embarrassed.

Re: Notre Dame . . .

Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:12 pm
by duckfan22
I really really dislike ND I put them right there with
the huskies. They are so over rated. And they are the
best team in the country every year according to
Lou Holtz.

Re: Notre Dame . . .

Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:30 pm
by duckfan96
Would love to see the Ducks play ND at some point. A home and home with em would be cool

Re: Notre Dame . . .

Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:51 am
by Bud Lee
duckfan96 wrote:Would love to see the Ducks play ND at some point. A home and home with em would be cool

I'll tell you this, it is pretty awesome to watch your team dismantle them like LSU did in the Sugar Bowl :D

Re: Notre Dame . . .

Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:17 am
by maxduck
duckfan96 wrote:Would love to see the Ducks play ND at some point. A home and home with em would be cool
They did a home and home many years ago. Ducks lost in South Bend (1976) then in 1982 the mighty Irish kicked a late field goal to salvage a tie with a 2-8-1 Oregon team at a sold out Autzen Stadium. The series was the result of the friendship between the ND athletic director and former Oregon coach and AD Len Casanova. The fact Notre Dame would even consider a visit to Eugene, where football crowds of roughly 20,000 were not unusual, was a tribute to the integrity and respect earned by Casanova.

Re: Notre Dame . . .

Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:46 am
by EncinitasDuck
maxduck wrote:
duckfan96 wrote:Would love to see the Ducks play ND at some point. A home and home with em would be cool
They did a home and home many years ago. Ducks lost in South Bend (1976) then in 1982 the mighty Irish kicked a late field goal to salvage a tie with a 2-8-1 Oregon team at a sold out Autzen Stadium. The series was the result of the friendship between the ND athletic director and former Oregon coach and AD Len Casanova. The fact Notre Dame would even consider a visit to Eugene, where football crowds of roughly 20,000 were not unusual, was a tribute to the integrity and respect earned by Casanova.
I was there for that game. I think it was 1981. Autzen felt like we had won the NC.