Page 1 of 3
hey look, a seattle mariners 2013 thread!
Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:44 pm
by oregontrack
early, sure, but on the heels of justin upton declining a deal that would have brought him to seattle, i realized it's never too early to talk about the mariners.
personally, i'm glad upton vetoed the trade. i've never been high on him, and the cost was fairly substantial (reportedly, walker/franklin/furbush/pryor). the relievers don't matter much, but walker and franklin would have been a coup for the d-backs.
Re: hey look, a seattle mariners 2013 thread!
Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:11 am
by Phenom
Yeah I'm also glad the deal didn't happen. I hear we're going for Stanton though. I don't really want to give up any of our stud pitchers in the system but we have quite a few that it shouldn't hurt as bad.
Re: hey look, a seattle mariners 2013 thread!
Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:45 am
by 303DucksFan
oregontrack wrote:early, sure, but on the heels of justin upton declining a deal that would have brought him to seattle, i realized it's never too early to talk about the mariners.
personally, i'm glad upton vetoed the trade. i've never been high on him, and the cost was fairly substantial (reportedly, walker/franklin/furbush/pryor). the relievers don't matter much, but walker and franklin would have been a coup for the d-backs.
My thoughts exactly and that's why.
Re: hey look, a seattle mariners 2013 thread!
Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:46 am
by Duck07
They better not give up Zunino either. Kid could be in Safeco by August
Re: hey look, a seattle mariners 2013 thread!
Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:04 am
by 303DucksFan
Duck07 wrote:They better not give up Zunino either. Kid could be in Safeco by August
They won't, catchers are hard to come by.
Re: hey look, a seattle mariners 2013 thread!
Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:26 am
by oregontrack
yeah, zunino is likely untouchable. he's the catcher of the future.
Re: hey look, a seattle mariners 2013 thread!
Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:20 pm
by thomas time
I would get up one or maybe two of the young pitchers for Stanton, that guy is a BEAST!!! I don't see that happening, but I would in a heartbeat
Re: hey look, a seattle mariners 2013 thread!
Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:23 pm
by 303DucksFan
thomas time wrote:I would get up one or maybe two of the young pitchers for Stanton, that guy is a BEAST!!! I don't see that happening, but I would in a heartbeat
I agree. Stanton > Upton
Re: hey look, a seattle mariners 2013 thread!
Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:29 am
by UOducksTK1
thomas time wrote:I would get up one or maybe two of the young pitchers for Stanton, that guy is a BEAST!!! I don't see that happening, but I would in a heartbeat
Are we actually looking to realistically get Stanton? If so, link please.
Re: hey look, a seattle mariners 2013 thread!
Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:35 pm
by buckmarkduck
Even if Upton had come, his contract was up in 2 years. No way is he signing anywhere but Atlanta.
Re: hey look, a seattle mariners 2013 thread!
Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:13 am
by 303DucksFan
UOducksTK1 wrote:thomas time wrote:I would get up one or maybe two of the young pitchers for Stanton, that guy is a BEAST!!! I don't see that happening, but I would in a heartbeat
Are we actually looking to realistically get Stanton? If so, link please.
Realistic to the point where Seattle wants him... I doubt Miami want's to move him just yet though.
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/giancarlo-stanton/
Re: hey look, a seattle mariners 2013 thread!
Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:19 pm
by cordy02c
Mariners traded for Mike Morse in a 3 team trade and only had to give up jaso
Re: hey look, a seattle mariners 2013 thread!
Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:27 pm
by thomas time
I just saw that, good trade for them
Re: hey look, a seattle mariners 2013 thread!
Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:32 pm
by oregontrack
hate the trade, personally.
Re: hey look, a seattle mariners 2013 thread!
Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:01 am
by uostudent
oregontrack wrote:hate the trade, personally.
Agree with this. I'm a Dodgers fan, so this trade really has no impact on me.
Morse has excellent power, but he isn't a very patient hitter. He's also one of the worst defenders in the majors at any position, but particularly in the outfield. In addition, he's a terrible baserunner. If the Mariners hadn't signed Raul Ibanez, I would have assumed that they would have had Morse DH.
Outfield defense is particularly important in a spacious stadium like Safeco. Horrible deal for the Mariners.
The Mariners would have been better off overpaying for a guy like BJ Upton.