Manti Te'o GF a hoax?

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

User avatar
Phenom
All Pac-12
Posts: 9914
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:49 am

Manti Te'o GF a hoax?

Post by Phenom »

DAT#6
Four Star Recruit
Posts: 953
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:01 am

Re: Manti Te'o GF a hoax?

Post by DAT#6 »

That is amazing. All year long I have felt that this was the main reason he was still in the Heisman race. :shock:
User avatar
Bud Lee
All Pac-12
Posts: 5541
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:03 am
Location: Da Boot

Re: Manti Te'o GF a hoax?

Post by Bud Lee »

I was just about to post this, truly unbelievable. If the article is right that is the most despicable, disgusting thing that anyone has done for attention :?
User avatar
Phenom
All Pac-12
Posts: 9914
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:49 am

Re: Manti Te'o GF a hoax?

Post by Phenom »

Not surprised a Tuiasasopo (spelling?) was involved.
User avatar
Bud Lee
All Pac-12
Posts: 5541
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:03 am
Location: Da Boot

Re: Manti Te'o GF a hoax?

Post by Bud Lee »

Just heard on the radio that Notre Dame is saying that Te'o and his parents told the University back in December that they were victims of a hoax? Really? December?
User avatar
MFRDuckFan
Senior
Posts: 4829
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:52 pm
Location: Medford

Re: Manti Te'o GF a hoax?

Post by MFRDuckFan »

Flat out creepy.
USUaggieDuck
Five Star Recruit
Posts: 1219
Joined: Sat May 15, 2010 12:37 am

Re: Manti Te'o GF a hoax?

Post by USUaggieDuck »

85% sure he was catfished by lane kiffin.
chapelhillduck
Senior
Posts: 2395
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:15 am

Re: Manti Te'o GF a hoax?

Post by chapelhillduck »

The ND response:

Notre Dame Statement: Manti Te’o

On Dec. 26, Notre Dame coaches were informed by Manti Te’o and his parents that Manti had been the victim of what appears to be a hoax in which someone using the fictitious name Lennay Kekua apparently ingratiated herself with Manti and then conspired with others to lead him to believe she had tragically died of leukemia. The University immediately initiated an investigation to assist Manti and his family in discovering the motive for and nature of this hoax. While the proper authorities will continue to investigate this troubling matter, this appears to be, at a minimum, a sad and very cruel deception to entertain its perpetrators.

Dennis Brown
University Spokesman | Assistant Vice President
User avatar
Bud Lee
All Pac-12
Posts: 5541
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:03 am
Location: Da Boot

Re: Manti Te'o GF a hoax?

Post by Bud Lee »

Its just mind blowing, I mean who was talking to all that time? I guess he never "meet" her in person then, even though his father thought that she would be daughter in law one day? The whole thing is just strange?
maxduck
Senior
Posts: 3763
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:37 pm

Re: Manti Te'o GF a hoax?

Post by maxduck »

chapelhillduck wrote:The ND response:

Notre Dame Statement: Manti Te’o

On Dec. 26, Notre Dame coaches were informed by Manti Te’o and his parents that Manti had been the victim of what appears to be a hoax in which someone using the fictitious name Lennay Kekua apparently ingratiated herself with Manti and then conspired with others to lead him to believe she had tragically died of leukemia. The University immediately initiated an investigation to assist Manti and his family in discovering the motive for and nature of this hoax. While the proper authorities will continue to investigate this troubling matter, this appears to be, at a minimum, a sad and very cruel deception to entertain its perpetrators.

Dennis Brown
University Spokesman | Assistant Vice President
Hoax, really?

Nov. 28, 2009: Te'o and Kekua meet after Stanford's 45-38 victory over Notre Dame in Palo Alto, according to the South Bend Tribune: "Their stares got pleasantly tangled, then Manti Te'o extended his hand to the stranger with a warm smile and soulful eyes." Kekua, a Stanford student, swaps phone numbers with Te'o.
Duck24
Senior
Posts: 4744
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:36 am
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Manti Te'o GF a hoax?

Post by Duck24 »

Oh man. Oh man...dude has some serious explaining to do. The ND response is almost as bad as the whole situation that led up to this. Ugh, I feel dirty for defending this guy earlier in the year as a great player/person, guy I would want on my team. There is absolutely no way that this was a hoax that he didn't know about.
303DucksFan
Four Star Recruit
Posts: 698
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:43 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains

Re: Manti Te'o GF a hoax?

Post by 303DucksFan »

I agree with MFR, Flat Out Creepy!
Duck24
Senior
Posts: 4744
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:36 am
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Manti Te'o GF a hoax?

Post by Duck24 »

Biggus Duckus wrote:ESPN had been talking about it since the MSU game (Sept. 11) so certainly Teo knew of misinformation at that point. Very likely earlier.
That is what doesn't add up...this story has been mainstream since then and he just figured it out the day after Christmas?
User avatar
Duck07
All-American
Posts: 17123
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:36 am
Location: Parts Unknown

Re: Manti Te'o GF a hoax?

Post by Duck07 »

Any word if this dead gf also was a princess in Nigeria who needed 5,000$ to release a hold on her bank account that rebels have hid from her and in return the Teo's would receive 25 million?
Image
chapelhillduck
Senior
Posts: 2395
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:15 am

Re: Manti Te'o GF a hoax?

Post by chapelhillduck »

Teo's statement (from ESPN)

Dude is full of BS

Te'o issued a statement Tuesday afternoon:

"This is incredibly embarrassing to talk about, but over an extended period of time, I developed an emotional relationship with a woman I met online. We maintained what I thought to be an authentic relationship by communicating frequently online and on the phone, and I grew to care deeply about her.

"To realize that I was the victim of what was apparently someone's sick joke and constant lies was, and is, painful and humiliating.

"It further pains me that the grief I felt and the sympathies expressed to me at the time of my grandmother's death in September were in any way deepened by what I believed to be another significant loss in my life.

"I am enormously grateful for the support of my family, friends and Notre Dame fans throughout this year. To think that I shared with them my happiness about my relationship and details that I thought to be true about her just makes me sick. I hope that people can understand how trying and confusing this whole experience has been.

"In retrospect, I obviously should have been much more cautious. If anything good comes of this, I hope it is that others will be far more guarded when they engage with people online than I was.

"Fortunately, I have many wonderful things in my life, and I'm looking forward to putting this painful experience behind me as I focus on preparing for the NFL Draft."
Post Reply