Page 1 of 4

Manti Te'o GF a hoax?

Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:43 pm
by Phenom

Re: Manti Te'o GF a hoax?

Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:58 pm
by DAT#6
That is amazing. All year long I have felt that this was the main reason he was still in the Heisman race. :shock:

Re: Manti Te'o GF a hoax?

Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:01 pm
by Bud Lee
I was just about to post this, truly unbelievable. If the article is right that is the most despicable, disgusting thing that anyone has done for attention :?

Re: Manti Te'o GF a hoax?

Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:03 pm
by Phenom
Not surprised a Tuiasasopo (spelling?) was involved.

Re: Manti Te'o GF a hoax?

Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:22 pm
by Bud Lee
Just heard on the radio that Notre Dame is saying that Te'o and his parents told the University back in December that they were victims of a hoax? Really? December?

Re: Manti Te'o GF a hoax?

Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:25 pm
by MFRDuckFan
Flat out creepy.

Re: Manti Te'o GF a hoax?

Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:27 pm
by USUaggieDuck
85% sure he was catfished by lane kiffin.

Re: Manti Te'o GF a hoax?

Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:31 pm
by chapelhillduck
The ND response:

Notre Dame Statement: Manti Te’o

On Dec. 26, Notre Dame coaches were informed by Manti Te’o and his parents that Manti had been the victim of what appears to be a hoax in which someone using the fictitious name Lennay Kekua apparently ingratiated herself with Manti and then conspired with others to lead him to believe she had tragically died of leukemia. The University immediately initiated an investigation to assist Manti and his family in discovering the motive for and nature of this hoax. While the proper authorities will continue to investigate this troubling matter, this appears to be, at a minimum, a sad and very cruel deception to entertain its perpetrators.

Dennis Brown
University Spokesman | Assistant Vice President

Re: Manti Te'o GF a hoax?

Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:34 pm
by Bud Lee
Its just mind blowing, I mean who was talking to all that time? I guess he never "meet" her in person then, even though his father thought that she would be daughter in law one day? The whole thing is just strange?

Re: Manti Te'o GF a hoax?

Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:35 pm
by maxduck
chapelhillduck wrote:The ND response:

Notre Dame Statement: Manti Te’o

On Dec. 26, Notre Dame coaches were informed by Manti Te’o and his parents that Manti had been the victim of what appears to be a hoax in which someone using the fictitious name Lennay Kekua apparently ingratiated herself with Manti and then conspired with others to lead him to believe she had tragically died of leukemia. The University immediately initiated an investigation to assist Manti and his family in discovering the motive for and nature of this hoax. While the proper authorities will continue to investigate this troubling matter, this appears to be, at a minimum, a sad and very cruel deception to entertain its perpetrators.

Dennis Brown
University Spokesman | Assistant Vice President
Hoax, really?

Nov. 28, 2009: Te'o and Kekua meet after Stanford's 45-38 victory over Notre Dame in Palo Alto, according to the South Bend Tribune: "Their stares got pleasantly tangled, then Manti Te'o extended his hand to the stranger with a warm smile and soulful eyes." Kekua, a Stanford student, swaps phone numbers with Te'o.

Re: Manti Te'o GF a hoax?

Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:50 pm
by Duck24
Oh man. Oh man...dude has some serious explaining to do. The ND response is almost as bad as the whole situation that led up to this. Ugh, I feel dirty for defending this guy earlier in the year as a great player/person, guy I would want on my team. There is absolutely no way that this was a hoax that he didn't know about.

Re: Manti Te'o GF a hoax?

Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:55 pm
by 303DucksFan
I agree with MFR, Flat Out Creepy!

Re: Manti Te'o GF a hoax?

Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:56 pm
by Duck24
Biggus Duckus wrote:ESPN had been talking about it since the MSU game (Sept. 11) so certainly Teo knew of misinformation at that point. Very likely earlier.
That is what doesn't add up...this story has been mainstream since then and he just figured it out the day after Christmas?

Re: Manti Te'o GF a hoax?

Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:06 pm
by Duck07
Any word if this dead gf also was a princess in Nigeria who needed 5,000$ to release a hold on her bank account that rebels have hid from her and in return the Teo's would receive 25 million?

Re: Manti Te'o GF a hoax?

Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:16 pm
by chapelhillduck
Teo's statement (from ESPN)

Dude is full of BS

Te'o issued a statement Tuesday afternoon:

"This is incredibly embarrassing to talk about, but over an extended period of time, I developed an emotional relationship with a woman I met online. We maintained what I thought to be an authentic relationship by communicating frequently online and on the phone, and I grew to care deeply about her.

"To realize that I was the victim of what was apparently someone's sick joke and constant lies was, and is, painful and humiliating.

"It further pains me that the grief I felt and the sympathies expressed to me at the time of my grandmother's death in September were in any way deepened by what I believed to be another significant loss in my life.

"I am enormously grateful for the support of my family, friends and Notre Dame fans throughout this year. To think that I shared with them my happiness about my relationship and details that I thought to be true about her just makes me sick. I hope that people can understand how trying and confusing this whole experience has been.

"In retrospect, I obviously should have been much more cautious. If anything good comes of this, I hope it is that others will be far more guarded when they engage with people online than I was.

"Fortunately, I have many wonderful things in my life, and I'm looking forward to putting this painful experience behind me as I focus on preparing for the NFL Draft."