Page 1 of 1

Johnny Manziel

Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:20 pm
by maxduck
Is only taking online courses and visits the campus about once a month? I haven't seen the inside of a college classroom in 40 years but is this normal?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/20 ... s/1929057/

Re: Johnny Manziel

Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:40 pm
by USUaggieDuck
pretty normal, especially for athletes. obviously they don't all do that, but it isn't a big deal in my opinion.

Re: Johnny Manziel

Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:33 pm
by Elduderino
It is probably pretty commonplace, but I still think it is bogus.

Re: Johnny Manziel

Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:30 pm
by snapt
It's typical, especially for lower division course work. I loved online courses, have the tests open in one window and Wikipedia in the other. Just write the papers and you're golden.

Re: Johnny Manziel

Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:29 pm
by duckgrad99
Personally, I couldn't believe this was actually news when I saw it on the ESPN ticker. First of all, a lot of college programs are entirely online these days. Second, I'm sure this is common with a lot of athletes. As long as Manziel is actually doing the work, I see no reason why this is even a story.

Re: Johnny Manziel

Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:19 am
by Bud Lee
Biggus Duckus wrote:
duckgrad99 wrote:Personally, I couldn't believe this was actually news when I saw it on the ESPN ticker. First of all, a lot of college programs are entirely online these days. Second, I'm sure this is common with a lot of athletes. As long as Manziel is actually doing the work, I see no reason why this is even a story.
Do you think he is doing the work?
Do you think every other college student that takes online courses are actually doing the courses?

Its not like he is getting something others don't, which is why I don't understand why people are making something out of it. It is the way of the world right now, started when I was getting my undergrad and has made leap and bounds since then. My little brother has taken mid terms and finals from his house online...BLEW MY MIND when he told me that.

Re: Johnny Manziel

Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:08 am
by Elduderino
I understand there isn't anything illegal about it, and again, I understand it is commonplace. Hell I took an online class or two during my college days.

I just don't like the way it feels to have an athlete taking 0 "on-campus" classes, and having an entirely digital course load. What kind of precedent does that establish? Is this something we want to proliferate in college athletics?

Re: Johnny Manziel

Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:32 am
by EncinitasDuck
Elduderino wrote:I understand there isn't anything illegal about it, and again, I understand it is commonplace. Hell I took an online class or two during my college days.

I just don't like the way it feels to have an athlete taking 0 "on-campus" classes, and having an entirely digital course load. What kind of precedent does that establish? Is this something we want to proliferate in college athletics?
As long as a non-athletic scholarship student can do the same thing I don't see a problem with it.

Re: Johnny Manziel

Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:59 am
by Bud Lee
EncinitasDuck wrote:
Elduderino wrote:I understand there isn't anything illegal about it, and again, I understand it is commonplace. Hell I took an online class or two during my college days.

I just don't like the way it feels to have an athlete taking 0 "on-campus" classes, and having an entirely digital course load. What kind of precedent does that establish? Is this something we want to proliferate in college athletics?
As long as a non-athletic scholarship student can do the same thing I don't see a problem with it.
Exactly! It would be unfair to limit the number of online courses student athletes can take if other students including academic scholly holders can take a full semester of them.

I understand it is nontraditional, but it is the trend of campuses right now to do this. It is actually really good for the schools; they double and triple the amount of students that can attend one lecture. Thus maximizing profits and minimizing cost.

I guess the real question is....is internet courses really the direction we want our universities to go? Is it hurting the quality of the education for "ALL" of the students...not just the ones we like to watch in athletic competitions.

For a old dog like me, it makes wonder how they are stopping cheating and how do they know they are "in class" and not watching sport center. Then again in our computer world just because they are in a class on campus does not mean they are not watching spot center on their laptop instead of taking notes.

Re: Johnny Manziel

Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:08 pm
by woundedknees
My daughter has one (American Sign Language) class on-site at the U of O this term... The other classes, plus 75% 0f her exams for this session, are on-line.

As a single Mom, she is thrilled. Last term, she had 20+ credits, all of which required being on campus 8-13 hours per day.

Even then, most of the exams, as well as the majority of the papers necessary, were handled on-line.

Re: Johnny Manziel

Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:21 pm
by buckmarkduck
Who cares, he will be a millionaire soon enough, with or without taking classes on campus.

Re: Johnny Manziel

Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:36 pm
by ducksrock
buckmarkduck wrote:Who cares, he will be a millionaire soon enough, with or without taking classes on campus.
Wealthy and dumber than a post? Wow, that is surely a milestone to be admired by all....I can see it now...His epitaph.....He died a wealthy, albeit ignorant man..... :lol:

Re: Johnny Manziel

Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:44 pm
by maxduck
ducksrock wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:Who cares, he will be a millionaire soon enough, with or without taking classes on campus.
Wealthy and dumber than a post? Wow, that is surely a milestone to be admired by all....I can see it now...His epitaph.....He died a wealthy, albeit ignorant man..... :lol:
Remember--a fool and his money are soon parted. He would be wise to get an education.

Re: Johnny Manziel

Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:55 pm
by ducksrock
maxduck wrote:
ducksrock wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:Who cares, he will be a millionaire soon enough, with or without taking classes on campus.
Wealthy and dumber than a post? Wow, that is surely a milestone to be admired by all....I can see it now...His epitaph.....He died a wealthy, albeit ignorant man..... :lol:
Remember--a fool and his money are soon parted. He would be wise to get an education.
So very true......

Re: Johnny Manziel

Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:27 pm
by duckgrad99
For all we know, the entire duck football team might have each taken online classes. We just didn't hear about it because their name wasn't Johnny Manziel. In other words, I don't think this is anything new, and I don't think Johnny should be singled out for it.