ESPN radio yesterday - the spread is coming to the NFL

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

UofDuck
Senior

ESPN radio yesterday - the spread is coming to the NFL

Post by UofDuck »

Just yesterday on the radio, a few ESPN football guys mentioned that they were confident that some forms of the spread WILL make themselves know in the NFL within the next few years. The Wildcat has proven effective enough that teams will surely understand that there other other ways to move a football down field effectively. The success of the spread in college will translate in some fashion to the NFL and move some teams toward the use of it - if the team has the right players in place (i.e.Dennis Dixon). IMO the NFL is made up of very traditional type offensive minds and they are slow to move. However, the ESPN guys said its a matter of when, not if. Obviously, anytime you can get athletes in space, it is so hard to match up. And if you don't match up - bang theyre gone. please see OSU/O war in 08 :lol: Certianly the NFL defenses are supremely effective at what they do, I just don't see the spread bombing out if implemented correctly with the right set of players in place.

The point of this is; WHEN it happens, all of the anti Oregon/spread recruiting play will turn against those perpetuating the myth. Just wait.
Duckxing
Two Star Recruit

Re: ESPN radio yesterday - the spread is coming to the NFL

Post by Duckxing »

The spread offense is already in the NFL. Teams like the Patriots and Colts already run a spread offense. And the "Wildcat" offense is more of an option based offense than a spread type offense, so I don't get the comparison. I guess if they said the spread option offense was coming to the NFL, then that would be something new. But saying the spread is coming to the NFL is pretty laughable because it is already there.
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

It's just not there like it is in college because the linebackers and defensive lineman are so big and fast...It's why we struggle against SC with our spread
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

Come on now, if you think Indy/NE is running a college type of spread read/option - obviously what was implied - you are smoking dope. Manning, or Brady couldn't run an option type spread if their lives depended on it. WHat kind of rushing threat are they? Please!!!

The Wildcat referrence was thrown in only to point out that the NFL is starting to open up differenct formations and finding success. Not that it was the spread.

To the other point, John Gruden wanting to learn more about the college spread has said he too thinks its coming to the NFL in some type of format. That is why he wants to understand it ahead of curve. Why would he say that if its already run in the NFL? Or if he too didn't think it might find its way in? I don't buy into it not working in the NFL if someone built a team around it and fully implemented it. Mark my words, some very fast NFL QB who can throw on the run - coupled with the right RB and O line scheme - will arrive and thrive at some point soon. A guy like Vic, within a true spread offense designed around him could create some serious issues. Its just a matter of time. Just like every other shift in the NFL, when someone wins with it, others will want it too.

PS to the other point, most everyone struggles against USC's defense (spread or not) for the most part as they clearly have the best athletes in the country. And this year just might be different for us against them as it was in 07 when we put up points on them. Florida does quite well against serious defenses by the way.
Last edited by UofDuck on Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
echo31
Five Star Recruit

Post by echo31 »

You're both right.

NFL teams like New England do indeed run a spread offense http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spread_off ... ad_Offense, but not a spread option offense http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Option_offense. There is a difference.
wheaton4prez
Senior

Post by wheaton4prez »

Tinfoilman wrote:The point of this is; WHEN it happens, all of the anti Oregon/spread recruiting play will turn against those perpetuating the myth. Just wait.
I've been putting that out there in various circles this off-season as well. How this pans out in the NFL could have a significant impact on spread programs like Oregon. It's effective and it's also an exciting style to watch (and importantly to decision-makers, to market).

The Wildcat is a form of spread option. The base Wildcat formation is a 4-receiver, single-back set from the shotgun. It took Miami from a 1-win season to the play-offs.

Usually, when people refer to "the spread", they are referring to a spread-to-run scheme rather than simply using a spread formation. Texas Tech uses almost all spread formations. But, I don't think people think of them as a "spread" team like Oregon. The NFL uses spread formations, single back from the shotgun, etc. But, the Wildcat is the closest thing to having an actual "spread offense" package of plays designed to open up the running game.
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

wheaton4prez wrote:
Tinfoilman wrote:The point of this is; WHEN it happens, all of the anti Oregon/spread recruiting play will turn against those perpetuating the myth. Just wait.
I've been putting that out there in various circles this off-season as well. How this pans out in the NFL could have a significant impact on spread programs like Oregon. It's effective and it's also an exciting style to watch (and importantly to decision-makers, to market).

The Wildcat is a form of spread option. The base Wildcat formation is a 4-receiver, single-back set from the shotgun. It took Miami from a 1-win season to the play-offs.

Usually, when people refer to "the spread", they are referring to a spread-to-run scheme rather than simply using a spread formation. Texas Tech uses almost all spread formations. But, I don't think people think of them as a "spread" team like Oregon. The NFL uses spread formations, single back from the shotgun, etc. But, the Wildcat is the closest thing to having an actual "spread offense" package of plays designed to open up the running game.
Amen brother, amen!
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

Tinfoilman wrote: PS to the other point, most everyone struggles against USC's defense (spread or not) for the most part as they clearly have the best athletes in the country. And this year just might be different for us against them as it was in 07 when we put up points on them. Florida does quite well against serious defenses by the way.

Really???...We put points on them in 07?...Are you being serious right now?...And really Florida does well against SERIOUS defenses...please show me these serious defenses...You're trippin...we struggle with our spread against USC...yes everyone struggles against USC...but we go from 50 points a game with big plays to 20 points a game without big plays...other teams don't have that kind of drop off...People are so frustrating...have you ever actually thought about what you're saying before you say it?...Or are you just that ignorant that you don't get it?
Duckxing
Two Star Recruit

Post by Duckxing »

Tinfoilman wrote:Come on now, if you think Indy/NE is running a college type of spread read/option - obviously what was implied - you are smoking dope. Manning, or Brady couldn't run an option type spread if their lives depended on it. WHat kind of rushing threat are they? Please!!!

The Wildcat referrence was thrown in only to point out that the NFL is starting to open up differenct formations and finding success. Not that it was the spread.

To the other point, John Gruden wanting to learn more about the college spread has said he too thinks its coming to the NFL in some type of format. That is why he wants to understand it ahead of curve. Why would he say that if its already run in the NFL? Or if he too didn't think it might find its way in? I don't buy into it not working in the NFL if someone built a team around it and fully implemented it. Mark my words, some very fast NFL QB who can throw on the run - coupled with the right RB and O line scheme - will arrive and thrive at some point soon. A guy like Vic, within a true spread offense designed around him could create some serious issues. Its just a matter of time. Just like every other shift in the NFL, when someone wins with it, others will want it too.

PS to the other point, most everyone struggles against USC's defense (spread or not) for the most part as they clearly have the best athletes in the country. And this year just might be different for us against them as it was in 07 when we put up points on them. Florida does quite well against serious defenses by the way.
Go back and read your original post. You make no mention of the spread option offense, just the spread offense, which as someone already pointed out are very different offenses. It's a common misconception that all spread offenses are the same, which it seams like in your original post is what you are saying. And where did i say that NE/Ind are running a spread option offense? I only said that NE/Ind are running a spread offense in the NFL already. Please!!!
wheaton4prez
Senior

Post by wheaton4prez »

I don't know. If a sports commentator says that the spread is coming to the NFL it seems clear what they mean. To say they aren't technically correct is like saying that a hot dog is a laughable concept because it isn't a breed of canine with a high temperature.

:)