Page 1 of 1

3* DE Dorlus commits

Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:39 am
by greenyellow
Have to think that getting Dorlus means they're likely done taking DEs this class. I imagine they'll still try to get another DT.

Re: 3* DE Dorlus commits

Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:06 am
by StevensTechU
Watching his tape, I wonder if they plan to have him get on the Gary Baker diet and try to bulk up to play inside.

Re: 3* DE Dorlus commits

Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:46 am
by UOducksTK1
Welcome Dorlus! Ranked pretty lowly, but he was well sought after, even by a good amount of SEC schools. Will be fun to watch his development in green/yellow.

Re: 3* DE Dorlus commits

Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:47 am
by Duckenstein
StevensTechU wrote:Watching his tape, I wonder if they plan to have him get on the Gary Baker diet and try to bulk up to play inside.
I think you need a different body type

These aren't the old days when they always took DEs and threw them into NT

Re: 3* DE Dorlus commits

Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:52 am
by StevensTechU
He seems pretty broad, though. More broad than Baker, and Baker was a DE in high school, as well.

Re: 3* DE Dorlus commits

Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:35 am
by Greenblood
Per Rivals, he was offered by Auburn, Clemson, Florida and others.

Re: 3* DE Dorlus commits

Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:45 am
by Duckenstein
StevensTechU wrote:He seems pretty broad, though. More broad than Baker, and Baker was a DE in high school, as well.
I'm not saying you're wrong. I don't know.

But I don't think Mario wants to bulk kids up for two years before they play. He wants guys that are ready to go

In the old days, we'd take the development guys at DL and do what wsu and Utah do. Feed them and train them for a couple years

Nowadays, Mario is looking for guys that are ready to go

KWH, Poti, Dorlus, those guys can step in day 1 and play on the line. Thibodeau and Johnson will play day 1 too

Jordon Scott did the same.

I think the confusion comes from the scheme

KWH, Poti and Dorlus play DE/DT

Thibodeau and Johnson play OLB/DE

Scott only plays NT in the base set, on rushing downs

Also, not trying to mansplain to you, but figured some folks would find the above helpful

Re: 3* DE Dorlus commits

Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:52 am
by jimmy12
Duckenstein wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:He seems pretty broad, though. More broad than Baker, and Baker was a DE in high school, as well.
I'm not saying you're wrong. I don't know.

But I don't think Mario wants to bulk kids up for two years before they play. He wants guys that are ready to go

In the old days, we'd take the development guys at DL and do what wsu and Utah do. Feed them and train them for a couple years

Nowadays, Mario is looking for guys that are ready to go

KWH, Poti, Dorlus, those guys can step in day 1 and play on the line. Thibodeau and Johnson will play day 1 too

Jordon Scott did the same.

I think the confusion comes from the scheme

KWH, Poti and Dorlus play DE/DT

Thibodeau and Johnson play OLB/DE

Scott only plays NT in the base set, on rushing downs

Also, not trying to mansplain to you, but figured some folks would find the above helpful
I agree with most of what you said, but one point, I think these younger / newer players are playing not because they are ready. Rather, they are playing because of the lack of depth on the roster. I am guessing, but I think this is out of need.

Re: 3* DE Dorlus commits

Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:57 am
by Duckenstein
jimmy12 wrote:
Duckenstein wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:He seems pretty broad, though. More broad than Baker, and Baker was a DE in high school, as well.
I'm not saying you're wrong. I don't know.

But I don't think Mario wants to bulk kids up for two years before they play. He wants guys that are ready to go

In the old days, we'd take the development guys at DL and do what wsu and Utah do. Feed them and train them for a couple years

Nowadays, Mario is looking for guys that are ready to go

KWH, Poti, Dorlus, those guys can step in day 1 and play on the line. Thibodeau and Johnson will play day 1 too

Jordon Scott did the same.

I think the confusion comes from the scheme

KWH, Poti and Dorlus play DE/DT

Thibodeau and Johnson play OLB/DE

Scott only plays NT in the base set, on rushing downs

Also, not trying to mansplain to you, but figured some folks would find the above helpful
I agree with most of what you said, but one point, I think these younger / newer players are playing not because they are ready. Rather, they are playing because of the lack of depth on the roster. I am guessing, but I think this is out of need.
I agree with that

Re: 3* DE Dorlus commits

Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:26 am
by Phenom
I think at least one of the incoming DL redshirts (probably Poti), but I like them all.