Page 1 of 2

QUAAACK - JAMAL HILL

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:23 am
by SteelTown43
Welcome aboard Jamal, 24th commit for 2019
https://247sports.com/college/oregon/Co ... 128124193/

Re: QUAAACK - JAMAL HILL

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:25 am
by Phenom
Terrific athlete with good size and build. He's good in coverage and delivers vicious hits.

Heyward has a lot to work with.

Re: QUAAACK - JAMAL HILL

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:32 am
by karlhungis
I stand corrected. I am not sure why the lower tiered offers are the ones prominently displayed on 247. I clicked the expanded list and it is much more impressive.

Re: QUAAACK - JAMAL HILL

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:35 am
by SteelTown43
Also had offers from Bama, usc, Tennessee and Michigan. 44 total offers

Re: QUAAACK - JAMAL HILL

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:35 am
by GoDucksTroll
As an FYI this is who I was alluding to. Wanted to commit before even visiting, but was told to come out and see first.

Had offers from SEC and Big-10 schools. Athletic, not the fastest but has a thick build for a kid.

Re: QUAAACK - JAMAL HILL

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:40 am
by rsbgduck
question, Hill seems like a solid 4* (no I’m not a star guy) and from what I’ve seen there are not a lot of S who are rated high. Are S like the DL when it comes to talent, just not a lot of recruits at that position with great and obviously elite talent?

Re: QUAAACK - JAMAL HILL

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:42 am
by GoDucksTroll
I have to add that this is speaking volumes for both the Oregon brand and our coaches recruiting skills. Kids from SEC country are willing to pass up mid tier SEC commits/offers to come here, sight unseen.

We knew we had a national name, but no one has utilized it like this. Kayvon’s commitment, the highly ranked class, flirtations with 5-stars, this is what draws attention from the mid tier recruits you need to build a program.

There’s another kid I know of that wants to be out here, but the coaches are being masterful at slow playing.

Re: QUAAACK - JAMAL HILL

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:45 am
by buckmarkduck
GoDucksTroll wrote:As an FYI this is who I was alluding to. Wanted to commit before even visiting, but was told to come out and see first.

Had offers from SEC and Big-10 schools. Athletic, not the fastest but has a thick build for a kid.
4.46 electric at the opening in Atl, he's a lot faster than anyone is giving him credit for. Cridell ran a 4.77 fwiw.

Re: QUAAACK - JAMAL HILL

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:47 am
by GoDucksTroll
rsbgduck wrote:question, Hill seems like a solid 4* (no I’m not a star guy) and from what I’ve seen there are not a lot of S who are rated high. Are S like the DL when it comes to talent, just not a lot of recruits at that position with great and obviously elite talent?
It seems like safeties are rated lower than cornerbacks, unless they’re the very elite type. I don’t know why, if I had to guess it would be a speed/testing thing. Some of it is that these guys played as the back stop at their HS because they were the best player on the team, like Troy Dye and Brady Breeze, and it’s hard to evaluate that.

Re: QUAAACK - JAMAL HILL

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:48 am
by greenyellow
With both James and Hill committed, it makes me wonder if they'll take any of the other DBs who are visiting the next couple weeks. Watts' final 2 were Oregon and South Carolina so I could see him going to the Gamecocks if Oregon won't take his commitment. Emerson visited this weekend but is still committed to Mississippi State. Elam, Sanguinetti, and Williams seem like longshots but wonder if Oregon would take one or two more if they think that highly of them.

Re: QUAAACK - JAMAL HILL

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:55 am
by StevensTechU
rsbgduck wrote:question, Hill seems like a solid 4* (no I’m not a star guy) and from what I’ve seen there are not a lot of S who are rated high. Are S like the DL when it comes to talent, just not a lot of recruits at that position with great and obviously elite talent?
Might be a down year. I would go over to 247sports and see what a guy rated 88 is ranked in a given year and see if that changes year-over-year.

In my head, I don't see there being a dearth of safeties nationally.

Re: QUAAACK - JAMAL HILL

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:40 pm
by buckmarkduck
Hill reminds me of former WSU safety Deone Buchanon. He's the in the box safety we've been missing since TJ Ward left. I can see this kid playing at 215 and not losing a step. I'm not sure if he's going to be great in coverage, but vs the run he'll be a killer.

Re: QUAAACK - JAMAL HILL

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:33 pm
by Duckenstein
buckmarkduck wrote:Hill reminds me of former WSU safety Deone Buchanon. He's the in the box safety we've been missing since TJ Ward left. I can see this kid playing at 215 and not losing a step. I'm not sure if he's going to be great in coverage, but vs the run he'll be a killer.
I will say, he looks really stiff in the torso, he'll have a hell of a time in coverage because he can't twist. Quite unusual, normally kids are stiff in the hips not in the ribs.

Re: QUAAACK - JAMAL HILL

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:41 pm
by rsbgduck
Not going to quote people and take up space. Thanks for the answers and info StevensTechu and GoDucksTroll. I will look back on a few yrs, now I’m curious.

Re: QUAAACK - JAMAL HILL

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:25 pm
by maxduck
Duckenstein wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:Hill reminds me of former WSU safety Deone Buchanon. He's the in the box safety we've been missing since TJ Ward left. I can see this kid playing at 215 and not losing a step. I'm not sure if he's going to be great in coverage, but vs the run he'll be a killer.
I will say, he looks really stiff in the torso, he'll have a hell of a time in coverage because he can't twist. Quite unusual, normally kids are stiff in the hips not in the ribs.
Isn't that why we have Aaron Feld and his staff? I don't pretend to be a talent evaluator but I have seen numerous comments by Mario that the kids have a lot more flexibility than under Slick's S&C program. Isn't there potential for a lot of improvement by an 18 year old kid in the right conditioning regime?