Devon Williams has entered the transfer portal
Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1
- GoDucksTroll
- Sophomore
- Posts: 1742
- Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:34 am
Devon Williams has entered the transfer portal
The borderline 5-star WR who had a last minute change of hear for USC... has decided to transfer.
Source: https://twitter.com/colecubelic/status/ ... 4076764160
Williams played in four games last year, and one this year - making him not eligible for a redshirt. USC can also block his transfer here. Because of that I'm not sure we're a contender here, but I thought this was noteworthy because we were the runners up and he would have been a great fit here.
Edit: it looks like USC may not be able to completely block the transfer, but of course they can with immediate eligibility. I have to speculate if Stack leaving was connected to this in anyway. Even if Williams can't play until a calendar academic year, he can bring that shiny new USC playbook with him.
Source: https://twitter.com/colecubelic/status/ ... 4076764160
Williams played in four games last year, and one this year - making him not eligible for a redshirt. USC can also block his transfer here. Because of that I'm not sure we're a contender here, but I thought this was noteworthy because we were the runners up and he would have been a great fit here.
Edit: it looks like USC may not be able to completely block the transfer, but of course they can with immediate eligibility. I have to speculate if Stack leaving was connected to this in anyway. Even if Williams can't play until a calendar academic year, he can bring that shiny new USC playbook with him.
- greenyellow
- Moderator

- Posts: 39213
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:54 pm
- Location: Eugene, OR
Re: Devon Williams has entered the transfer portal
Not sure you're right about his redshirt status. According to his profile on USC's website, he played all 12 games last season (most of it on special teams) and only one this season, meaning he still has his redshirt year available. To not have to sit out another full year in addition to this season, he'd have to find another school sometime during the season. Not sure if USC will allow him to transfer in-conference but Oregon could work out due to them being on the quarter system. With all the hoops he'll have to jump through, Williams should really have just come straight to Oregon out of HS.

- GoDucksTroll
- Sophomore
- Posts: 1742
- Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:34 am
Re: Devon Williams has entered the transfer portal
I think you're right, I looked at a site that hadn't updated his games appeared in. Four catches, but played in 12 games. Also had a rushing TD, and a blocked punt returned for a TD.greenyellow wrote:Not sure you're right about his redshirt status. According to his profile on USC's website, he played all 12 games last season (most of it on special teams) and only one this season, meaning he still has his redshirt year available. To not have to sit out another full year in addition to this season, he'd have to find another school sometime during the season. Not sure if USC will allow him to transfer in-conference but Oregon could work out due to them being on the quarter system. With all the hoops he'll have to jump through, Williams should really have just come straight to Oregon out of HS.
The transfer portal has really made everything more complicated and it will take a while for us to catch up to what it means. As I understand it, you can't completely block intra-conference transfers anymore - just make it so they can't petition for immediate eligibility. Oregon didn't block Cody Shear's immediate eligibility, but Washington blocked Colson Yankoff. I wonder if our quarter system does play a factor in this as well.
I'm somewhat doubtful we wind up with Devon, but I hope we do because he is so talented. Dumpster fire USC is my favorite USC.
- StevensTechU
- All Pac-12
- Posts: 7116
- Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:25 am
- Location: Hoboken, NJ
Re: Devon Williams has entered the transfer portal
I'd also be surprised if he ended up a Duck (not because of lack of interest on our part). I think if you're him, and you're transferring to get more PT, you transfer down. If I'm him, Fresno State looks really attractive after they bagged Haener from uw.
- lukeyrid13
- All-American
- Posts: 10475
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:58 am
- GM: Portland TrailBlazers
Re: Devon Williams has entered the transfer portal
Uhh, did you see Haener throw the ball last year. Nothing was enticing about that.
- nogerO
- Senior
- Posts: 4516
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:48 pm
- Location: Wyoming
Re: Devon Williams has entered the transfer portal
Why wouldn't become a Duck? We not exactly tearing it up at the receiver spot. Well, except for our TE's who have been excellent.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
- StevensTechU
- All Pac-12
- Posts: 7116
- Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:25 am
- Location: Hoboken, NJ
Re: Devon Williams has entered the transfer portal
We don't have USC level WRs, but next year we bring back Pittman, Addison, Johnson, Waters, and potentially Schooler depending on whether he takes a redshirt.nogerO wrote:Why wouldn't become a Duck? We not exactly tearing it up at the receiver spot. Well, except for our TE's who have been excellent.
I'm just saying there are more attractive situations for a guy looking for playing time.
For all I know, he may end up at Clemson, though.
-
jimmy12
- Senior
- Posts: 2823
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:38 am
Re: Devon Williams has entered the transfer portal
Is he a player the Ducks actually want? The word on him is questionable hands.
With Johnny Wilson, Hutson and decent shot at Traeshon Holden, the Ducks seem to be in a good situation from next year forward.
Does anyone know whether Crocker is any good? He is slight, but seemed decent. No one mentions him at all and he's now off his RS season.
With Johnny Wilson, Hutson and decent shot at Traeshon Holden, the Ducks seem to be in a good situation from next year forward.
Does anyone know whether Crocker is any good? He is slight, but seemed decent. No one mentions him at all and he's now off his RS season.
- greenyellow
- Moderator

- Posts: 39213
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:54 pm
- Location: Eugene, OR
Re: Devon Williams has entered the transfer portal
Main issue with Crocker is he played in a Wing-T offense for much of his HS career so he's having to learn a lot of the finer points of being an actual WR. His 4* rating out of HS was more due to his athleticism, speed, and potential than anything else. If there's one player I could see transferring, it may be him should he not develop and/or get some PT this season.

-
jimmy12
- Senior
- Posts: 2823
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:38 am
Re: Devon Williams has entered the transfer portal
Thanks GY. I hadn't heard a thing.
-
thomas time
- Senior
- Posts: 4692
- Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:18 am
Re: Devon Williams has entered the transfer portal
coming for the game tonight from Kevin Wade
- Duckenstein
- Freshman
- Posts: 1433
- Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:43 pm
Re: Devon Williams has entered the transfer portal
I'd be shocked if Tucker and crocker are on the roster next year
Not sure how you pass on a guy like Williams.
He'll be a redshirt sophomore next year I believe
Not sure how you pass on a guy like Williams.
He'll be a redshirt sophomore next year I believe
- brich75
- Senior
- Posts: 4054
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:27 pm
Re: Devon Williams has entered the transfer portal
You don’t pass on himDuckenstein wrote:I'd be shocked if Tucker and crocker are on the roster next year
Not sure how you pass on a guy like Williams.
He'll be a redshirt sophomore next year I believe
-
thomas time
- Senior
- Posts: 4692
- Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:18 am
Re: Devon Williams has entered the transfer portal
ya I was thinking last night Crocker and Tucker probably will both be gone, they both were lesser guys on the coaches radar from what I remember and getting all these other young wr's.
- lukeyrid13
- All-American
- Posts: 10475
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:58 am
- GM: Portland TrailBlazers
Re: Devon Williams has entered the transfer portal
I think both were last minute offers after we whiffed on about 8 other guys. Kudos to Daewood Davis for stepping up though, even with transitioning to defense and back again.
Next year (assuming good health) we will have: Redd, Johnson, Pittman, Jonny Wilson, Waters, Wilhoite, Delgado and now potentially Devon Williams. We are incredibly thin right now, but we should be well stocked even if both of those two transferred out.
Next year (assuming good health) we will have: Redd, Johnson, Pittman, Jonny Wilson, Waters, Wilhoite, Delgado and now potentially Devon Williams. We are incredibly thin right now, but we should be well stocked even if both of those two transferred out.
