'Other Guys' Recruiting Thread
Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1
- StevensTechU
- All Pac-12
- Posts: 7116
- Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:25 am
- Location: Hoboken, NJ
'Other Guys' Recruiting Thread
I find that sometimes I want to bring up another school's recruiting, usually because there a connection to Oregon is some sort of roundabout way, but I don't think the news warrants its own thread, so I'm starting this one as an ongoing thread to make those posts.
Feel free to share comments on recruitment of individuals, conference foes, future opponents, Oregon/regional players, etc.
Feel free to share comments on recruitment of individuals, conference foes, future opponents, Oregon/regional players, etc.
- StevensTechU
- All Pac-12
- Posts: 7116
- Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:25 am
- Location: Hoboken, NJ
Re: 'Other Guys' Recruiting Thread
First up, I want to point out that Clay Millen, 3-4* quarterback and brother of Oregon R-Fr Cale Millen, received two crystal balls for Colorado this week.
-
GoDucks7
- One Star Recruit
- Posts: 77
- Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:28 pm
Re: 'Other Guys' Recruiting Thread
I wonder how long Cale will stick around. Seems like there is a high likelihood that he is going to get buried in the QB depth chart..
Damir Collins set to announce for OSU most likely. Probably going to be one of their highest recruits in years. Wonder where Nathan Rawlins-Kabonge is leaning. Possibly Stanford or OU. I'm always hesitant about Oregon kids because of competition.
Damir Collins set to announce for OSU most likely. Probably going to be one of their highest recruits in years. Wonder where Nathan Rawlins-Kabonge is leaning. Possibly Stanford or OU. I'm always hesitant about Oregon kids because of competition.
- StevensTechU
- All Pac-12
- Posts: 7116
- Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:25 am
- Location: Hoboken, NJ
Re: 'Other Guys' Recruiting Thread
One more bit on QBs/OSU.
Oregon State's commitment from Hidden Valley looks really, really good. He's not playing against high competition, so that makes it a little harder to project how he'll do at the next level, but he is as dominant and as effective at the level he's playing at as probably any QB in the country would be (74% completions, 44 TDs to 3 INTs, state championship player of the game). While not as big and athletic as Oregon's commitment, he looks like a better 'pure QB' to me. They snagged a good one if they manage to hang on.
https://www.hudl.com/profile/10213476/Sam-Vidlak
Oregon State's commitment from Hidden Valley looks really, really good. He's not playing against high competition, so that makes it a little harder to project how he'll do at the next level, but he is as dominant and as effective at the level he's playing at as probably any QB in the country would be (74% completions, 44 TDs to 3 INTs, state championship player of the game). While not as big and athletic as Oregon's commitment, he looks like a better 'pure QB' to me. They snagged a good one if they manage to hang on.
https://www.hudl.com/profile/10213476/Sam-Vidlak
- StevensTechU
- All Pac-12
- Posts: 7116
- Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:25 am
- Location: Hoboken, NJ
Re: 'Other Guys' Recruiting Thread
I've said this before, but the competition knock probably ends up hurting more Oregon kids than helping. Guys like Jordan Poyer and Kendrick Bourne have had nice NFL careers but didn't get scholarship offers from Oregon. Kellen Moore, Derek Anderson, Dante Rosario, and Troy Polomalu were all low-competition stars. But it is tougher to evaluate, for sure.GoDucks7 wrote:I wonder how long Cale will stick around. Seems like there is a high likelihood that he is going to get buried in the QB depth chart..
Damir Collins set to announce for OSU most likely. Probably going to be one of their highest recruits in years. Wonder where Nathan Rawlins-Kabonge is leaning. Possibly Stanford or OU. I'm always hesitant about Oregon kids because of competition.
I think it's interesting that Keith Brown, current Oregon commit, hasn't been particularly dominant at the Oregon 5A level, yet is highly rated for his performance at camps where he's able to show off his athleticism.
Last edited by StevensTechU on Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
- lukeyrid13
- All-American
- Posts: 10475
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:58 am
- GM: Portland TrailBlazers
Re: 'Other Guys' Recruiting Thread
Another other guys think to watch. USC has 2 current 5 star QBs committed. It's assumed that one of them will decommit at some point, like Garcia.
- GoDucksTroll
- Sophomore
- Posts: 1742
- Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:34 am
Re: 'Other Guys' Recruiting Thread
I am enjoying Washington's recruiting meltdown and their fans justifications and delusions. Their delusions have led them to think they're the premier program in the conference and they don't understand why Oregon is rolling while they're getting commits from scrubs and missing out on an incredible amount of local talent.
It's almost like they forgot they went 8-5, the respected head coach who took them back to relevance quit, and Jimmy Lake has never been a head coach.
Good stuff for the future, as we know even one bad recruiting year can significantly anchor down a program.
With USC, I'm not too concerned at the moment. There's a good chance that they have a mediocre season and it will have an effect. Donte Williams is a great recruiter, but I also can't forget how many of his commits wound up de-committing. There's also the flip side that USC can have a great season and it will hurt us, but I don't know if Clay Helton can manage that.
It's almost like they forgot they went 8-5, the respected head coach who took them back to relevance quit, and Jimmy Lake has never been a head coach.
Good stuff for the future, as we know even one bad recruiting year can significantly anchor down a program.
With USC, I'm not too concerned at the moment. There's a good chance that they have a mediocre season and it will have an effect. Donte Williams is a great recruiter, but I also can't forget how many of his commits wound up de-committing. There's also the flip side that USC can have a great season and it will hurt us, but I don't know if Clay Helton can manage that.
- Phalanx
- Senior
- Posts: 4989
- Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:50 pm
Re: 'Other Guys' Recruiting Thread
It's been funny watching fuskies going from supremely confident about getting Franklin to now blaming their whole staff down to the janitor and swearing that he isn't that good a receiver after all.
-
WestCoastDux
- Two Star Recruit
- Posts: 130
- Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:46 pm
Re: 'Other Guys' Recruiting Thread
Haven't been plugged into Fusky recruiting. What are they're fans saying? Thanks
-
mrpd21
- Five Star Recruit
- Posts: 1169
- Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:04 am
Re: 'Other Guys' Recruiting Thread
I literally had a coworker who's a Husky on a zoom meeting just a few hours ago brag to everyone about their recruiting and how they are dominating the Ducks...that was an easy debunk lol. Oh and guess what else he brought up? You guessed it:
"Hmmm yes...I see. You've got me there. Pac 12 Champs too! I guess it's down to you gotta show up again and try to win. I respect Oregon for continuing to try every year....maybe year 104 will be the first national title. I remember when UW won our first: 1991...I was 10 years old. I'm sure you can imagine what that feels like..."

"Hmmm yes...I see. You've got me there. Pac 12 Champs too! I guess it's down to you gotta show up again and try to win. I respect Oregon for continuing to try every year....maybe year 104 will be the first national title. I remember when UW won our first: 1991...I was 10 years old. I'm sure you can imagine what that feels like..."
- betty white
- Two Star Recruit
- Posts: 134
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:52 am
Re: 'Other Guys' Recruiting Thread
Hmmm. My neighbor, who’s a big Miami fan, says his team won in 1991. How many other teams also won that year I wonder.
-
partytime1667
- One Star Recruit
- Posts: 76
- Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:16 pm
Re: 'Other Guys' Recruiting Thread
Pretty sure Cristobal might have a thing or two to say about it as well....betty white wrote:Hmmm. My neighbor, who’s a big Miami fan, says his team won in 1991. How many other teams also won that year I wonder.
-
RanDux
- Senior
- Posts: 2840
- Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:19 pm
- Location: Happy Valley, OR
Re: 'Other Guys' Recruiting Thread
If I am remembering correctly, they are also looking good for getting a good running back, I think from one of the Portland schools. Jonathan Smith looks to be bringing about a resurgence for OSU football, which is good for the state. As long as Oregon remains the top dog!StevensTechU wrote:One more bit on QBs/OSU.
Oregon State's commitment from Hidden Valley looks really, really good. He's not playing against high competition, so that makes it a little harder to project how he'll do at the next level, but he is as dominant and as effective at the level he's playing at as probably any QB in the country would be (74% completions, 44 TDs to 3 INTs, state championship player of the game). While not as big and athletic as Oregon's commitment, he looks like a better 'pure QB' to me. They snagged a good one if they manage to hang on.
https://www.hudl.com/profile/10213476/Sam-Vidlak
- StevensTechU
- All Pac-12
- Posts: 7116
- Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:25 am
- Location: Hoboken, NJ
Re: 'Other Guys' Recruiting Thread
Two Jefferson H.S. (Portland, OR) kids made their commitments yesterday.
High 3* (.8843) RB Damir Collins committed to Oregon State. He's a short, thickly-built RB who has all the tools to be successful at the Pac-12 level with speed, balance, vision, and shiftiness. Solid get for the Beavers.
Also committing was low 4* (.8956) Nathan Rawlins-Kibonge, who was previously committed to Wazzu as a basketball player. Football programs love his size at 6'7, 240. Right now he's just a big body and raw talent; high risk, high potential for suitors. I'll be curious to see how big of a jump he makes between his Jr and Sr years. Noteworthy is that uw thought they had a chance here, though Stanford probably would have been the pick if he stayed on the west coast.
High 3* (.8843) RB Damir Collins committed to Oregon State. He's a short, thickly-built RB who has all the tools to be successful at the Pac-12 level with speed, balance, vision, and shiftiness. Solid get for the Beavers.
Also committing was low 4* (.8956) Nathan Rawlins-Kibonge, who was previously committed to Wazzu as a basketball player. Football programs love his size at 6'7, 240. Right now he's just a big body and raw talent; high risk, high potential for suitors. I'll be curious to see how big of a jump he makes between his Jr and Sr years. Noteworthy is that uw thought they had a chance here, though Stanford probably would have been the pick if he stayed on the west coast.
- Duck07
- All-American
- Posts: 17123
- Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:36 am
- Location: Parts Unknown
Re: 'Other Guys' Recruiting Thread
I've called a game of Vidlak's and frankly I think being in Corvallis is a better fit for him and his style of game. HV is back up at 4A this year so he'll get some tougher games
