Elite 11 happenings (Ty Thompson looking good)
Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1
- bigsugarduck
- Five Star Recruit
- Posts: 1209
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:52 pm
Elite 11 happenings (Ty Thompson looking good)
https://n.rivals.com/news/woody-s-world ... f-elite-11
https://247sports.com/Article/Elite-11- ... 148678242/
https://www.si.com/college/recruiting/f ... -11-finals
https://www.si.com/college/recruiting/f ... tions-6-30
Looks like Thompson is in top form...
https://247sports.com/Article/Elite-11- ... 148678242/
https://www.si.com/college/recruiting/f ... -11-finals
https://www.si.com/college/recruiting/f ... tions-6-30
Looks like Thompson is in top form...
Stewart Mandel-"From a purely aesthetic standpoint, I much prefer to watch a good spread-rushing offense over a traditional Power-I offense, and Oregon's has been the most fun by far for the past several years. It's fast, its precise, and when Chip Kelly has the right quarterback (Dixon, Masoli) at the helm, the possibility of someone ripping off a 60-yard run exists on nearly every play."
- UOducksTK1
- Site Admin

- Posts: 40554
- Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:28 pm
- GM: Boston Celtics GM
- Location: Portland, Oregon
Re: Elite 11 happenings (Ty Thompson looking good)
Whoa rivals had him as the best looking QB so far ahead of Caleb Williams! Whack..

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
- StevensTechU
- All Pac-12
- Posts: 7116
- Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:25 am
- Location: Hoboken, NJ
Re: Elite 11 happenings (Ty Thompson looking good)
I'd rather my guy get good marks than poor ones, but unfortunately these things mean next to nothing for QBs. Nice to see, though.
-
GrantDuck
- Senior
- Posts: 2629
- Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:05 pm
Re: Elite 11 happenings (Ty Thompson looking good)
Looks like he could be the next great one for us.
- bigsugarduck
- Five Star Recruit
- Posts: 1209
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:52 pm
Re: Elite 11 happenings (Ty Thompson looking good)
You are right....looked back at the past Elite 11 MVPs and about half were among the best QBs of their class and eventually drafted. Not an overwhelming amount.StevensTechU wrote:I'd rather my guy get good marks than poor ones, but unfortunately these things mean next to nothing for QBs. Nice to see, though.
A rankings bump for Thompson is what would really be great. Thompson is talking BIG about Oregon having the best Offense in the country in the next years, and winning MVP would give him extra credibility in his recruiting of the other stud Oline and WRs not yet committed.
Stewart Mandel-"From a purely aesthetic standpoint, I much prefer to watch a good spread-rushing offense over a traditional Power-I offense, and Oregon's has been the most fun by far for the past several years. It's fast, its precise, and when Chip Kelly has the right quarterback (Dixon, Masoli) at the helm, the possibility of someone ripping off a 60-yard run exists on nearly every play."
- StevensTechU
- All Pac-12
- Posts: 7116
- Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:25 am
- Location: Hoboken, NJ
Re: Elite 11 happenings (Ty Thompson looking good)
At Oregon, the Elite 11 has given us such outstanding QBs as Travis 'Converted to WR at Montana State' Jonsen and Morgan 'Beat out for the starting job at Towson' Mahalak. It's also the same forum that said Marcus Mariota should possibly switch to receiver. It really shows how much being a successful QB is what you can do when a defense is breathing down your neck.bigsugarduck wrote:You are right....looked back at the past Elite 11 MVPs and about half were among the best QBs of their class and eventually drafted. Not an overwhelming amount.StevensTechU wrote:I'd rather my guy get good marks than poor ones, but unfortunately these things mean next to nothing for QBs. Nice to see, though.
A rankings bump for Thompson is what would really be great. Thompson is talking BIG about Oregon having the best Offense in the country in the next years, and winning MVP would give him extra credibility in his recruiting of the other stud Oline and WRs not yet committed.
- GoDucksTroll
- Sophomore
- Posts: 1742
- Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:34 am
Re: Elite 11 happenings (Ty Thompson looking good)
I remember watching what was then the US Army All-America and Jonsen/Waller threw a huge TD pass as the starter. I also remember Trent Dilfer (who is absolutely the worst QB evaluator ever) saying Jonsen would make people forget Mariota or something like that.StevensTechU wrote:At Oregon, the Elite 11 has given us such outstanding QBs as Travis 'Converted to WR at Montana State' Jonsen and Morgan 'Beat out for the starting job at Towson' Mahalak. It's also the same forum that said Marcus Mariota should possibly switch to receiver. It really shows how much being a successful QB is what you can do when a defense is breathing down your neck.bigsugarduck wrote:You are right....looked back at the past Elite 11 MVPs and about half were among the best QBs of their class and eventually drafted. Not an overwhelming amount.StevensTechU wrote:I'd rather my guy get good marks than poor ones, but unfortunately these things mean next to nothing for QBs. Nice to see, though.
A rankings bump for Thompson is what would really be great. Thompson is talking BIG about Oregon having the best Offense in the country in the next years, and winning MVP would give him extra credibility in his recruiting of the other stud Oline and WRs not yet committed.
Elite 11 doesn't guarantee much, but finishing off/keeping this offensive class would be nicer when you can say your QB is proven to be among the nation's best.
- ncduck
- Senior
- Posts: 2189
- Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:14 am
- Location: Rancho Palos Verdes, CA
Re: Elite 11 happenings (Ty Thompson looking good)
Yeah, looking good at this means less than looking bad at them.
- Duck07
- All-American
- Posts: 17123
- Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:36 am
- Location: Parts Unknown
Re: Elite 11 happenings (Ty Thompson looking good)
Weren't Kellen Clemens and Dennis Dixon both Elite 11? I know Dixon was.StevensTechU wrote:At Oregon, the Elite 11 has given us such outstanding QBs as Travis 'Converted to WR at Montana State' Jonsen and Morgan 'Beat out for the starting job at Towson' Mahalak. It's also the same forum that said Marcus Mariota should possibly switch to receiver. It really shows how much being a successful QB is what you can do when a defense is breathing down your neck.bigsugarduck wrote:You are right....looked back at the past Elite 11 MVPs and about half were among the best QBs of their class and eventually drafted. Not an overwhelming amount.StevensTechU wrote:I'd rather my guy get good marks than poor ones, but unfortunately these things mean next to nothing for QBs. Nice to see, though.
A rankings bump for Thompson is what would really be great. Thompson is talking BIG about Oregon having the best Offense in the country in the next years, and winning MVP would give him extra credibility in his recruiting of the other stud Oline and WRs not yet committed.

-
maxduck
- Senior
- Posts: 3763
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:37 pm
Re: Elite 11 happenings (Ty Thompson looking good)
Live Updates:
8:26 pm - Ty Thompson, Oregon commitment, was sharp on intermediate attempts. As the wind picked up, it didn’t impact his ball as much as others. High-arching down the field and on-time in the foreground, it was another good night of work for the future Duck.
8:26 pm - Ty Thompson, Oregon commitment, was sharp on intermediate attempts. As the wind picked up, it didn’t impact his ball as much as others. High-arching down the field and on-time in the foreground, it was another good night of work for the future Duck.
-
gogreen55
- Senior
- Posts: 2369
- Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:39 pm
Re: Elite 11 happenings (Ty Thompson looking good)
He looks like he has a cannon for an arm in the few clips I saw from this event on twitter. I didn't watch clips of the other quarterbacks to compare, so maybe it is just the perspective it was being filmed from, but I was impressed.
- StevensTechU
- All Pac-12
- Posts: 7116
- Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:25 am
- Location: Hoboken, NJ
Re: Elite 11 happenings (Ty Thompson looking good)
Ty is a huge, mature body, with more than enough arm strength to get the job done at the college level, so he's almost tailor-made for impressing in this kind of setting.
That description could also be used to describe Victor Viramontes, who signed with Cal in 2016 and didn't really have much of a career at quarterback before changing schools and switching to linebacker, so I try to ignore it.
What I like about Ty is that he pushes the ball downfield and led his team to a state championship. What I don't like is that he's prone to turnovers in big games (2 INTs in the state championship) and his tape doesn't show that he reads the field a lot. What I'm so-so on is his completion percentage (59%) and TD:INT ratio (45:14).
Really, I'm taking a wait-and-see approach with how his senior year goes. If his team puts more points on the board and his completion percentage increases without sacrificing downfield passing, I'll start to get pretty optimistic.
That description could also be used to describe Victor Viramontes, who signed with Cal in 2016 and didn't really have much of a career at quarterback before changing schools and switching to linebacker, so I try to ignore it.
What I like about Ty is that he pushes the ball downfield and led his team to a state championship. What I don't like is that he's prone to turnovers in big games (2 INTs in the state championship) and his tape doesn't show that he reads the field a lot. What I'm so-so on is his completion percentage (59%) and TD:INT ratio (45:14).
Really, I'm taking a wait-and-see approach with how his senior year goes. If his team puts more points on the board and his completion percentage increases without sacrificing downfield passing, I'll start to get pretty optimistic.
- bigsugarduck
- Five Star Recruit
- Posts: 1209
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:52 pm
Re: Elite 11 happenings (Ty Thompson looking good)
Fair. But isn't the word that Thompson has been making huge strides since last season? (Hence, the rise up the rankings?)StevensTechU wrote:Ty is a huge, mature body, with more than enough arm strength to get the job done at the college level, so he's almost tailor-made for impressing in this kind of setting.
That description could also be used to describe Victor Viramontes, who signed with Cal in 2016 and didn't really have much of a career at quarterback before changing schools and switching to linebacker, so I try to ignore it.
What I like about Ty is that he pushes the ball downfield and led his team to a state championship. What I don't like is that he's prone to turnovers in big games (2 INTs in the state championship) and his tape doesn't show that he reads the field a lot. What I'm so-so on is his completion percentage (59%) and TD:INT ratio (45:14).
Really, I'm taking a wait-and-see approach with how his senior year goes. If his team puts more points on the board and his completion percentage increases without sacrificing downfield passing, I'll start to get pretty optimistic.
Stewart Mandel-"From a purely aesthetic standpoint, I much prefer to watch a good spread-rushing offense over a traditional Power-I offense, and Oregon's has been the most fun by far for the past several years. It's fast, its precise, and when Chip Kelly has the right quarterback (Dixon, Masoli) at the helm, the possibility of someone ripping off a 60-yard run exists on nearly every play."
- bigsugarduck
- Five Star Recruit
- Posts: 1209
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:52 pm
Re: Elite 11 happenings (Ty Thompson looking good)
https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/E ... 48713568_1
https://www.si.com/college/georgia/recr ... s-rankings
https://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/2020/0 ... -camp.html
still looking good....
https://www.si.com/college/georgia/recr ... s-rankings
https://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/2020/0 ... -camp.html
still looking good....
Stewart Mandel-"From a purely aesthetic standpoint, I much prefer to watch a good spread-rushing offense over a traditional Power-I offense, and Oregon's has been the most fun by far for the past several years. It's fast, its precise, and when Chip Kelly has the right quarterback (Dixon, Masoli) at the helm, the possibility of someone ripping off a 60-yard run exists on nearly every play."
- StevensTechU
- All Pac-12
- Posts: 7116
- Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:25 am
- Location: Hoboken, NJ
Re: Elite 11 happenings (Ty Thompson looking good)
Who knows until the season rolls around. Hope so!bigsugarduck wrote:
Fair. But isn't the word that Thompson has been making huge strides since last season? (Hence, the rise up the rankings?)