Page 1 of 2

Elite 11 happenings (Ty Thompson looking good)

Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:27 am
by bigsugarduck

Re: Elite 11 happenings (Ty Thompson looking good)

Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:59 am
by UOducksTK1
Whoa rivals had him as the best looking QB so far ahead of Caleb Williams! Whack..

Re: Elite 11 happenings (Ty Thompson looking good)

Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:40 am
by StevensTechU
I'd rather my guy get good marks than poor ones, but unfortunately these things mean next to nothing for QBs. Nice to see, though.

Re: Elite 11 happenings (Ty Thompson looking good)

Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:07 am
by GrantDuck
Looks like he could be the next great one for us.

Re: Elite 11 happenings (Ty Thompson looking good)

Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:51 am
by bigsugarduck
StevensTechU wrote:I'd rather my guy get good marks than poor ones, but unfortunately these things mean next to nothing for QBs. Nice to see, though.
You are right....looked back at the past Elite 11 MVPs and about half were among the best QBs of their class and eventually drafted. Not an overwhelming amount.

A rankings bump for Thompson is what would really be great. Thompson is talking BIG about Oregon having the best Offense in the country in the next years, and winning MVP would give him extra credibility in his recruiting of the other stud Oline and WRs not yet committed.

Re: Elite 11 happenings (Ty Thompson looking good)

Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:05 pm
by StevensTechU
bigsugarduck wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:I'd rather my guy get good marks than poor ones, but unfortunately these things mean next to nothing for QBs. Nice to see, though.
You are right....looked back at the past Elite 11 MVPs and about half were among the best QBs of their class and eventually drafted. Not an overwhelming amount.

A rankings bump for Thompson is what would really be great. Thompson is talking BIG about Oregon having the best Offense in the country in the next years, and winning MVP would give him extra credibility in his recruiting of the other stud Oline and WRs not yet committed.
At Oregon, the Elite 11 has given us such outstanding QBs as Travis 'Converted to WR at Montana State' Jonsen and Morgan 'Beat out for the starting job at Towson' Mahalak. It's also the same forum that said Marcus Mariota should possibly switch to receiver. It really shows how much being a successful QB is what you can do when a defense is breathing down your neck.

Re: Elite 11 happenings (Ty Thompson looking good)

Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:44 pm
by GoDucksTroll
StevensTechU wrote:
bigsugarduck wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:I'd rather my guy get good marks than poor ones, but unfortunately these things mean next to nothing for QBs. Nice to see, though.
You are right....looked back at the past Elite 11 MVPs and about half were among the best QBs of their class and eventually drafted. Not an overwhelming amount.

A rankings bump for Thompson is what would really be great. Thompson is talking BIG about Oregon having the best Offense in the country in the next years, and winning MVP would give him extra credibility in his recruiting of the other stud Oline and WRs not yet committed.
At Oregon, the Elite 11 has given us such outstanding QBs as Travis 'Converted to WR at Montana State' Jonsen and Morgan 'Beat out for the starting job at Towson' Mahalak. It's also the same forum that said Marcus Mariota should possibly switch to receiver. It really shows how much being a successful QB is what you can do when a defense is breathing down your neck.
I remember watching what was then the US Army All-America and Jonsen/Waller threw a huge TD pass as the starter. I also remember Trent Dilfer (who is absolutely the worst QB evaluator ever) saying Jonsen would make people forget Mariota or something like that.

Elite 11 doesn't guarantee much, but finishing off/keeping this offensive class would be nicer when you can say your QB is proven to be among the nation's best.

Re: Elite 11 happenings (Ty Thompson looking good)

Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:22 pm
by ncduck
Yeah, looking good at this means less than looking bad at them.

Re: Elite 11 happenings (Ty Thompson looking good)

Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:00 pm
by Duck07
StevensTechU wrote:
bigsugarduck wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:I'd rather my guy get good marks than poor ones, but unfortunately these things mean next to nothing for QBs. Nice to see, though.
You are right....looked back at the past Elite 11 MVPs and about half were among the best QBs of their class and eventually drafted. Not an overwhelming amount.

A rankings bump for Thompson is what would really be great. Thompson is talking BIG about Oregon having the best Offense in the country in the next years, and winning MVP would give him extra credibility in his recruiting of the other stud Oline and WRs not yet committed.
At Oregon, the Elite 11 has given us such outstanding QBs as Travis 'Converted to WR at Montana State' Jonsen and Morgan 'Beat out for the starting job at Towson' Mahalak. It's also the same forum that said Marcus Mariota should possibly switch to receiver. It really shows how much being a successful QB is what you can do when a defense is breathing down your neck.
Weren't Kellen Clemens and Dennis Dixon both Elite 11? I know Dixon was.

Re: Elite 11 happenings (Ty Thompson looking good)

Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:35 pm
by maxduck
Live Updates:

8:26 pm - Ty Thompson, Oregon commitment, was sharp on intermediate attempts. As the wind picked up, it didn’t impact his ball as much as others. High-arching down the field and on-time in the foreground, it was another good night of work for the future Duck.

Re: Elite 11 happenings (Ty Thompson looking good)

Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:39 am
by gogreen55
He looks like he has a cannon for an arm in the few clips I saw from this event on twitter. I didn't watch clips of the other quarterbacks to compare, so maybe it is just the perspective it was being filmed from, but I was impressed.

Re: Elite 11 happenings (Ty Thompson looking good)

Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:14 am
by StevensTechU
Ty is a huge, mature body, with more than enough arm strength to get the job done at the college level, so he's almost tailor-made for impressing in this kind of setting.

That description could also be used to describe Victor Viramontes, who signed with Cal in 2016 and didn't really have much of a career at quarterback before changing schools and switching to linebacker, so I try to ignore it.

What I like about Ty is that he pushes the ball downfield and led his team to a state championship. What I don't like is that he's prone to turnovers in big games (2 INTs in the state championship) and his tape doesn't show that he reads the field a lot. What I'm so-so on is his completion percentage (59%) and TD:INT ratio (45:14).

Really, I'm taking a wait-and-see approach with how his senior year goes. If his team puts more points on the board and his completion percentage increases without sacrificing downfield passing, I'll start to get pretty optimistic.

Re: Elite 11 happenings (Ty Thompson looking good)

Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:35 am
by bigsugarduck
StevensTechU wrote:Ty is a huge, mature body, with more than enough arm strength to get the job done at the college level, so he's almost tailor-made for impressing in this kind of setting.

That description could also be used to describe Victor Viramontes, who signed with Cal in 2016 and didn't really have much of a career at quarterback before changing schools and switching to linebacker, so I try to ignore it.

What I like about Ty is that he pushes the ball downfield and led his team to a state championship. What I don't like is that he's prone to turnovers in big games (2 INTs in the state championship) and his tape doesn't show that he reads the field a lot. What I'm so-so on is his completion percentage (59%) and TD:INT ratio (45:14).

Really, I'm taking a wait-and-see approach with how his senior year goes. If his team puts more points on the board and his completion percentage increases without sacrificing downfield passing, I'll start to get pretty optimistic.
Fair. But isn't the word that Thompson has been making huge strides since last season? (Hence, the rise up the rankings?)

Re: Elite 11 happenings (Ty Thompson looking good)

Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:57 am
by bigsugarduck

Re: Elite 11 happenings (Ty Thompson looking good)

Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:17 pm
by StevensTechU
bigsugarduck wrote:
Fair. But isn't the word that Thompson has been making huge strides since last season? (Hence, the rise up the rankings?)
Who knows until the season rolls around. Hope so!