Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

1988 Draft Grading

Post by UOducksTK1 »

1. Charlotte Hornets | Rik Smits C 7'4'' 250 22 B- C- C B B- A
After TC: B- D+ C A- B A
Grade: A

Ya Can't go wrong with Rik Smits! I think Hornets made the safe, but smart choice here. The more risky pick would have been Manning or Richmond, but the Hornets have their franchise center who will be a DPOY candidate for the rest of his career. If Smits' offense continue to develop, he will be an all league center. This was the right pick, good job by the Hornets here.

2. Washington Bullets | Mitch Richmond SG 6'5'' 215 23 B- B- C B- C- A
After TC: B- B- C B- C A
Grade: C+

Man, hate calling it like it is, but I gotta: Richmond had a really poor TC. While he barely budged in TC, almost every lottery pick had pretty solid TCs. He still should have some potential in the tank, so certainly we there is still all-star potential. What he did show us from preseason, is that he is an efficient played who is already an exceptional scorer inside the 3-point line. With a few upgrades from articles, this first TC can easily be forgotten and Mitch can still develop into a star. But for the fact so many others had good TCs and also a promising future, this pick disappoints. (For giggles, prior to TC this probably would have been a B+ rating I like a volume scorer at SG with little other issues such as poor rebounding, turnovers, etc.)

3. Los Angeles Clippers | Rony Seikaly C 6'11'' 230 23 B- D D B B- A
After TC: B- D D A- B- A
Grade: B

This is a very solid pick. I don't think Seikaly will ever be a star, but he'll be a very serviceable center who will do all the things you want him to do. The reason this rating isn't higher is because I totally would have taken Manning. And now after seeing TC, you could now make a strong case for Pooh Richardson. Also, relative to the rest of the league, Seikaly seems to be an OK shot blocker. Great first TC, and a lot of room to grow. Great addition for the Clippers, but they are still lacking a star.

4. Golden State Warriors | Danny Manning PF 6'10'' 230 22 B C+ C C+ B- A
After TC: B+ C+ C- B B A
Grade: A+

Best pick in the draft, and it's not even close. Manning is already one of the best PFs in the league. His ratings are insane for a rookie, and if his 'amazing' potential is in the mid 90s, then we have ourselves a PF who will be battling Barkley for top spot at his position very soon. Every GM hopes to have a guy like Manning as their draft pick, and the Warriors were fortune enough for him to drop at 4 and for him to have the first TC he did. It'll be interesting to see if Warriors can build around him, or if his talent will slowly rot on an uncompetitive team.

5. Orlando Magic | Pooh Richardson PG 6'1'' 180 22 B- C B C+ D+ A
After TC: B C B+ B D A

PGs are hard to come by, and Pooh had a really really good first TC. It looked like at the 5th pick, Magic were gonna miss out on the top 4 guys who seemed to separate themselves from the rest of the class, but Richardson just pooh'd on that idea. Magic have a potential franchise PG on their hands. If I'm the Magic, I immediately write an article to upgrade his handles. His turnovers and perhaps is lack of steals is a concern, but you can't be picky with PGs. Within a year or two, Pooh should be a top 5 PG.

6. Milwaukee Bucks | Charles Smith PF 6'10'' 230 23 B C- C- B B- B
After TC: B+ C- C- B+ B- B
Grade: B+

Dude simmed so well in preseason. I think my grade my not be nice enough. He's definitely flying under the radar, and he's received some hate in trade Timberwolves trade. I have a feeling he's going to convert some haters and also turn some heads while doing. He's the complete package with some potential left in the tank. I'm not sure if I would have traded Pippen for him, but I'm sure Charles Smith will be a quality starter for the next decade.

7. Seattle SuperSonics | Rex Chapman SG 6'4'' 185 21 C+ B- C B- D+ A
After TC: C+ B C+ B- C- A

This was one of my 'guys' that I thought would have a big TC. I was wrong. He still had a really solid TC, but again in light of a lot of the other picks in this draft, it's hard to get too excited. And a +3 first TC is generally a big plus, I was just hoping they'd be in his scoring ratings or defense ratings more. A very solid pick, and there's no one picked after him where Sonics are hitting themselves.

8. Phoenix Suns | Chris Morris SF 6'8'' 210 23 C+ B+ C B C- B
After TC: C+ A- C- B C- B

I don't like Morris. His upside is limited and 11 PPG for a 3rd scoring option in an outside offense for C+ A- scoring is kinda meh. He's supposed to be league ready, but there's a lot of guys more league ready than him. Very nice ratings for a rookie, but there is a large drop off after pick #7 and I'm feeling it here. He can play, but I don't think he will last.

9. Atlanta Hawks | Rod Strickland PG 6'3'' 175 22 C+ C C+ C+ D A
After TC: C+ C+ C+ B- D A

Solid! Kinda hard to give a better grade since Hawks didn't play their rookie during preseason. So I'll leave it at a B with the potential to go up or down a little. Hawks aren't in an immediate need for a PG, so if Strickland pans out, this pick will pay dividends for the Hawks.

10. San Antonio Spurs | Hersey Hawkins SG 6'3'' 190 22 B- C+ C B D B
After TC: B- B C+ B+ D+ B

One of the steals of the draft. He went up in almost every category, including +2 for outside shooting. His outside shot was actually one of the concerns in his notes, yet in preseason he was already shooting 38% from the arc. His defense will be one of the best at his position already. Spurs got themselves a starting SG, and are probably only one more key piece away from being a contender in the West.

11. San Antonio Spurs (from Kings) | Jerome Lane PF 6'6'' 230 22 B- C C C C+ A
After TC: B- C C C+ C+ A

Not as nice as Hawkins, but really hard to follow that up. Although Lane didn't grow too much this past training camp, his upside is still promising. I think Lane could be a really good 6th man one day. His per36 scoring was good in preseason, so as he gets more minutes, I think he'll be a positive piece for the Spurs.

12. Toronto Raptors | Harvey Grant SF 6'8'' 195 23 B C C- B- C+ B
After TC: B C C- B- C+ B
Grade: C

Kinda a bummer TC for Grant, however, he still has good output and should be able to contribute for the Raptors right away. I'm nervous this will be one of those lottery picks that is forgotten in a few years. Not great, but at this point in the draft it is more thin pickings. There are only a handful of picks from here on out where a rookie had a good TC.

13. Indiana Pacers | Derrick Chievous SF 6'7'' 195 21 C+ C+ C C+ C A
After TC: C+ C+ C B C A
Grade: B-

I don't love Chievous. In a draft where few improved after pick 11, I couldn't get myself to give the Pacers a C+ rating here. However, Chievous has a long way to go before he makes an impact in DASL. His first preseason showed how raw he was averaging 6ppg 4rpg and under 1bpg and 1spg in 26 minutes of play. Pacers will have to be really patient here. Time will tell.

14. Detroit Pistons (from Timberwolves) | Eric Leckner C 6'11'' 265 22 B- C- D- B+ B C
After TC: B- C- D B+ B C

Hey, Pistons got what they expected. Leckner could start for some teams but may be better fit as a 6th man for many teams. After looking at the preseason results, I actually like this pick more and more. The reason I have a little extra soft spot for Leckner, is he got block, rebound, and do his thing on defense, but he also has potential to be a scoring option. This surprised me and will help Malone and Magic on the scoring side. He's a good fit for Detroit.

15. Los Angeles Clippers (from Lakers) | Will Perdue C 7'0'' 240 23 C+ D+ D- B B- B
After TC: C+ D+ D- B B B

This is the definition of a meh pick. Decent notes, solid starting ratings, and offers the skills you'd want to see in a Center. Ideal backup, but the potential is limited. The tricky part with all of this, is I probably wouldn't have picked anyone else in the Clippers position. C+ is better than a lot of picks to come, so I'm certainly not trying to hate here.

16. Utah Jazz (from Rockets) | Randolph Keys SF 6'7'' 195 22 B B- C B C D
After TC: B- B- C B+ C D

Three year rental? I feel like you could sign a guy like him with LLE. He does have all around nice ratings, but he's already peaked. Buuuut he may end up starting for the Jazz, so is this so bad? If this was a high 20s pick, I'd probably give a little nicer rating, but this is a fringe lottery pick and it irks me when a guy who will likely last only a few years is picked. Sorry bellsduck, nothing personal.

17. Phoenix Suns (from Nuggets) | Tim Perry PF 6'9'' 200 23 C+ C D B+ B+ C
After TC: C+ C D B B+ C
Grade: D+

His brightspot is he can block shots. You can always appreciate shot blocking from your PF/C. However, I think by the time Perry hits FA, his ratings will be equal or worse to what he was drafted as. I'm giving the Suns a hard rep so far. I know he's drafting to compete, but Steve Kerr, Grant Long (whom he got later), or even Sylvester Gray have more hope than Tim at this point. Maybe I'll be wrong and his next TCs will be amazing and he'll be a hot commodity. But probably not.

18. Detroit Pistons | Dan Majerle SG 6'6'' 215 23 C+ B- C- B- C B
After TC: C+ B- C- B C B

Good job Pistons! Majerle is still pretty raw, but has a lot of development to come. His preseason makes me nervous he may not even contribute too much offensively, but I have hope that Majerle will be a B- B+ C A- C type of guy.

19. Atlanta Hawks (from Celtics) | Anthony Mason PF 6'7'' 250 22 C+ C C C+ C A
After TC: C+ C C B- C A

Not a bad pick, but nothing to get excited over either. I like the idea here and I may have made the same pick. This draft is so weak at this range. But knowing Kerr was right behind ya is never fun. I'm concerned Mason is too raw to ever develop into a contributor.

20. Seattle SuperSonics (from Mavericks) | Steve Kerr PG 6'3'' 175 23 C B+ C B- D+ B
After TC: C A- C B+ C- B
Grade: A-

We have our post-lottery steal of the draft so far. Aaaaaand the Sonics already traded him. :lol: The only worse than drafting a bust is drafting a steal and then trading him away for close to nothing. Tough one to swallow for the Sonics, but Grizzlies are certainly enjoying themselves. Kerr already shoes promise as a starting PG even with just C handles.

21. Chicago Bulls | Shelton Jones SF 6'9'' 210 22 B+ C- C B- C C
After TC: B+ C- C B- C D
Grade: C-

Desperate for a SF, however Grant Long and Sylvester Gray would have been more preferably choices here. Jones can put some points up (preseason showed us this), but he'll be a big liability in other areas. There are a lot of 60 or less potential players picked in the top 21 picks. Perhaps more than I've ever seen. Anyway, this is one where I'd have consulted Chicago in a totally direction (especially in hindsight LOL).

22. Minnesota Timberwolves (from Knicks) | Anthony Taylor PG 6'4'' 175 23 C+ C+ C B+ D+ B
After TC: C+ C+ C+ B+ D+ B

Sure his ratings are nice, but he sims like doodoo. A PG who turns the ball over constantly is like putting a ring on a woman who will always be unfaithful. He's the kind of player who you hope his ratings improve more so he looks the part, but actually hurts his team more than he helps. Tough one for Twolves, because right off the bat I was thinking C+ or B-.

23. Phoenix Suns (from 76ers) | Grant Long PF 6'8'' 225 22 B C- C- B- C+ B
After TC: B C- C B+ C+ B

Great pick!!! After the top 10 picks, you could argue either Kerr or Long were the next best picks after. In limited minutes, Long showed that he has the skills to compete. He can score and racks up steals like there's no tomorrow. A very pleasant surprise for the Suns given the disappointment in their other two picks so far. I believe he'll have a better future than Perry and Morris.

24. Golden State Warriors (from Jazz) | Willie Anderson SG 6'7'' 190 22 B- B C- B- D C
After TC: C+ B C- B D C

Oh Willie, high turnovers and no potential. I'd just cut you now.

25. Los Angeles Clippers (from Heat) | Avery Johnson PG 5'10'' 175 23 C D+ B- C D+ A
After TC: C D+ B- C+ D A

I like. He just needs one big TC, and he'd be a very valuable backup, and could fill in as a starter if needed. I hope he doesn't turn over the ball a lot, but their GM decided not to see how he simmed in preseason. This one may take 3-4 years but I'm calling C C- A- B+ by the time he hits FA.

26. Seattle SuperSonics (from Grizzlies) | Jose Vargas C 6'10'' 225 25 C D+ F+ B- C A
After TC: C+ C- D- C+ C+ A

Pretty good TC, but still has a long way to go. Also the fact that he's 25 doesn't have me very excited either. Sonics went from having one of the better drafts, to a very average draft after the Kerr deal. Vargas will be a lucky to be a backup in this league.

27. Phoenix Suns (from Trailblazers) | Scott Brooks PG 5'11'' 165 23 C B C+ B- D B
After TC: C B- C+ B- D+ C

Personally, unless a player's ratings are start worthy, I don't think I would ever draft a guy with average potential. Best case scenario for Brooks is nothing. He will hit the FA market in 4 years and he'll be desperate for a min offer. I gave him a C- because at least his rebounding went up.

28. Dallas Mavericks (from Cavaliers) | Sylvester Gray SF 6'6'' 230 21 C+ C- C B- C+ B
After TC: C+ C- C- B B- B

Great pick! Good notes, lots of upside, and already has ratings where a team like the Mavs could use him. Another TC and Gray will establish himself as part of the rotation. Nice find late in the draft.

29. Sacramento Kings (from Nets) | Ricky Berry SG 6'8'' 205 24 C+ B C- C+ C B
After TC: C+ B C B- C B

Nice snag! When in doubt, draft guys who had solid NBA careers. Rick Berry would fit well on an outside shooting team, as his preseason stats showed us his scoring is below average otherwise. Berry will be around for a while. I can't believe he was the last pick.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
offtheheezy
Senior
GM: Vancouver Grizzlies

Re: 1988 Draft Grading

Post by offtheheezy »

To be fair to the Sonics, we made that trade where he was sending me pick #20 when it was still like pick #7. It was just executed post draft because of salary reasons. It was a risk and paid off since I was able to get Kerr, who was one of my main targets with Majerle.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

offtheheezy wrote:To be fair to the Sonics, we made that trade where he was sending me pick #20 when it was still like pick #7. It was just executed post draft because of salary reasons. It was a risk and paid off since I was able to get Kerr, who was one of my main targets with Majerle.
That is good to know. Maybe people should ask for your advice then when it comes to drafts. :lol:

offtheheezy
Senior
GM: Vancouver Grizzlies

Post by offtheheezy »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
offtheheezy wrote:To be fair to the Sonics, we made that trade where he was sending me pick #20 when it was still like pick #7. It was just executed post draft because of salary reasons. It was a risk and paid off since I was able to get Kerr, who was one of my main targets with Majerle.
That is good to know. Maybe people should ask for your advice then when it comes to drafts. :lol:
Detlef Schrempf says otherwise :lol:
Craig
Senior
GM: Phoenix Suns GM

Post by Craig »

Apparently "Good potential" isn't actually good lol
SUNS GM
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Craig wrote:Apparently "Good potential" isn't actually good lol
Good is 60-75 potential. So if Morris was closer to the 60s. It's possible is potential now is in the 50-55 range. Meaning minimal improvements from here on out.

It's a range, and FBB can always give someone a bad sim from the algorithm. But how many times in real life have we heard of guys with outstanding potential who never panned out (Sebastian Telfair).

Craig
Senior
GM: Phoenix Suns GM

Post by Craig »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
Good is 60-75 potential. So if Morris was closer to the 60s. It's possible is potential now is in the 50-55 range. Meaning minimal improvements from here on out.

It's a range, and FBB can always give someone a bad sim from the algorithm. But how many times in real life have we heard of guys with outstanding potential who never panned out (Sebastian Telfair).
I guess I'm just looking at draft notes that say 'Good potential' and your analysis saying 'Limited upside' and seeing a bit of a disconnect in my understanding of English lol
SUNS GM
vincent1469
Five Star Recruit
GM: Seattle Supersonics

Post by vincent1469 »

Oh well I took a gamble with the guy Grizz traded to me and the second rounder and neither panned out. Grizz just getting their retribution for Detlef Schrempf and AC Green lol.

Tbh taking Kerr would mean I would have to get a playmaking PG anyways tho.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Craig wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:

I guess I'm just looking at draft notes that say 'Good potential' and your analysis saying 'Limited upside' and seeing a bit of a disconnect in my understanding of English lol
Oh I just meant his upside is limited in general terms, not that the potential in his notes was "limited". If I'm a betting man, his potential is in the 50-65 range now, which I would deem as limited.

nray30
Four Star Recruit
GM: Los Angeles Clippers

Post by nray30 »

Really nice article!

Hindsight I wish I took Manning. Had the biggest need at the center position, so felt safe with the pick, but I know this will hurt down the road.

Avery Johnson was a steal I feel like. Will be a great backup, with possible starter skills down the road
dd10snoop28
Senior
GM: New Jersey Nets GM

Post by dd10snoop28 »

Manning is nasty!
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Sam Perkins +5
3Point Shooting
Jump Shot

bellsduck
Senior
GM: Utah Jazz

Post by bellsduck »

I'll never figure out drafting.
That's why I'll never win
Felt like I needed someone that could help me now not in 3 seasons. And I was hoping for bigger help in fa
Oregon Ownage
All-American
GM: Dallas Mavericks

Post by Oregon Ownage »

UOducksTK1 wrote:Sam Perkins +5
3Point Shooting
Done